Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dt25 Editing....a Little Help Please

hobbes40

So, I downloaded the "dtedit" app generously written and shared by a member here to a PC. hooked PC to DT25 head with an M-Audio UNO and all was well. I went through all eight voicing positions and adjusted the amps/cabs and other parameters and had them sounding really good. I then put the DT25 in standby and disconnected the UNO interface. Then flipped the DT25 back to ON and started playing. The sounds were softer and in most cases just didn't sound as good as when the computer/dtedit was connected. 

question: did I do something wrong in the final sequence? should I have cut the amp to standby then to off first, then disconnected the UNO? Is there a better way to make sure that what I spend my time programming in actually stays put in the DT25?

I just want to be able to customize the 8 voicings and have them stay the same, so I don't have to fiddle with knobs each time I switch voicings. I had them all pretty volume leveled too and then when I started playing without the UNO hooked up, I went from terribly quiet Blackface Twin to face melting Soldano...not the same as I set them up! ARGH!!!

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

The DT is just a two channel amp, so whilst you can set up different amp models / settings for each topology, the tone / volume controls are per channel. You can set tone / volume using MIDI, but any adjustments are per channel. The DT doesn't remember them per topology.

If you want to store the tone / volume settings per topology, you need to use a connected HD device. This becomes the 'brain' of the amp. Otherwise the DT works in a similar way to a traditional amp (albeit with a lot more flexibility).

Hope that helps

• Upvote 1

ok. i got it now. thanks for 'splainin' that :)

so, in reality, then a person would have to always have a laptop or iOS device/MidiMobilizer plugged in if one were to gig without using a POD HD device.

This is pretty disappointing since the Hd preamp models can be made to sound great on the DT series, their default states just don't work for me at all. So I would be required to shell out another $70 for the MIDI mobilizer plus the cost of the app ($5 for the TouchOSC or a donation for the DT Customizer) and then have to have the device connected throughout the whole of the time I was playing. :o  :(

yeah....that was my thought as well. I have a POD HD 500 but it would be nice to just be able to take the head and cab for jams and have it set up with eight voicings tweaked to my sounds. playing with a laptop or iOS..i might as well have the POD along.

oh well....

• 7 months later...

so... if you have a hd500 you can use it to acess the topology amps of the dt25 and change them? or how would you do it?...after the latest update to the dt25 all 30 amps are in the dt25..right? its just how to put them in the presets on the dt25 and then how to te;ll which ampp you r playing??? confused

yeah....that was my thought as well. I have a POD HD 500 but it would be nice to just be able to take the head and cab for jams and have it set up with eight voicings tweaked to my sounds. playing with a laptop or iOS..i might as well have the POD along.

oh well....

Just remember if you are using the head alone, you have 8 amp models available without any computer, 4 on channel A using the topology switch and another 4 on channel B.  However, the knob settings do not save with the amp model so whatever you have physically set is what you will get.  If you have the knobs set for a Blackface and switch to a Treadplate your knobs are still set for the Blackface and you will blow your face off!  I you are just using your head stand alone, you don't need a computer as it won't do anything useful for you.

• Upvote 1

so... if you have a hd500 you can use it to acess the topology amps of the dt25 and change them? or how would you do it?...after the latest update to the dt25 all 30 amps are in the dt25..right? its just how to put them in the presets on the dt25 and then how to te;ll which ampp you r playing??? confused

If you have a POD HD500 all the amp models are in the POD and when you are connected to the DT with L6 link you bypass the internal amp models in the DT and just use the power section.  All the amps are easily pulled up and the configuration is saved in the POD, that is what makes it so valuable with the DT.  You are not limited to what amps you have available.  The POD tells the DT how to configure its topology based on the amp model selected in the POD.

If you don't use a POD see my last post.

No.  Then again, why would you want to?  If you are using the POD HD500 with L6 link you are bypassing all the internal amp models in the DT and using the same models inside the POD. 

The only way to actually change or configure the internal amp models is by midi either using a third party editor or a direct midi command from a connected controller.  And that will never change or save the position of the amp knobs or settings.

And ... the POD models don´t Sound as good as the DT25 preamp models. There are a some threads discussing this.

I think it's been pretty well estsblished that the models are identical, and any differences are probably psychoacoustic, or a user configuration error, or as in my case, some kind of weird bug which went away when i toggled the output mode a few times.

• Upvote 2

When it comes to modeling, we need to remember one thing. Every time we go to someone elses settings, he may've had different guitar/bass/bagpipe than we have. We need to remember that the amp +  gear is modeled but the sound settings are variable.

Its' really like going to music store to have a test run with that almighty $3000 boutique amp and noticing, that the last tester was a deaf, mad gwrth-player of a polka band from our local looney bin and made that thing sound as he likes. And here are we offering our beatuful, black PRS to that setup. We hear a sound of someone just set 159 pigs in fire and look our guitars in horror while fighting the urge to run for our lives. But - after recovering from the shock - we can fix this just by turning knobs for a while.

Thas how it goes. So far there are several different setups telling they are that amp model, but they're always more. They are setups built on an amp model.

If and when people have time, i suggest using time to create ones own basic amp settings as a template to use, when creating new sounds.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A little off topic, but...

I am a MIDI Dumb, but I use a G-System and a DT25, and would love to change

amps on DT25 head using midi control. What I know so far:

- G-System sends PC (program changes)

- DT25 works with CC only (control change)

So I understand that it is not possible to change voicings (08) on DT25 using MIDI CC,

but just via the amp relays (footswitch), which I sure can do with G-System, but then

limited to A/B channel change (02 options only).

Am I wrong ?

Is there a third MIDI device which I could possible use, between G-System and DT25,

to make the voicing changes possible ?

Thank to all in advance for any possible help.

Cheers ! ! !
\m/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I program the DT25 head using the DT Edit software (PC), when connected, and doing changes using the computer everything's fine but, when I re-start the unit it looses all the topologies and come back with just clean sound (I-II-III-IV and A/B, all of them).

Any help ?