Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Did someone have a volume-leveling chart for Variax?

Hey all -

Just what it says - I seem to recall someone posting up a file of tweaks to bring the various models in line volume-wise.  Been searching the forum but can't seem to find it - was I wrong?  If so - sucks gettin' old.  But if not, couldja link to it, please....

Thanks!

Ric

ps - sucks gettin' old, anyway....

i wouldn't recommend doing any such thing... the volume and dynamic differences are accurate to the model, modeled.

you'd basically be neutering the difference between the models to a large degree for no real reason....

because you'd use the real guitar by making equipment adjustments somewhere else in the chain...

and they all affect the end sound....

do what you want... but in my opinion, it's a really bad idea.

i wouldn't recommend doing any such thing... the volume and dynamic differences are accurate to the model, modeled.

you'd basically be neutering the difference between the models to a large degree for no real reason....

because you'd use the real guitar by making equipment adjustments somewhere else in the chain...

and they all affect the end sound....

do what you want... but in my opinion, it's a really bad idea.

I put the volume adjusted patches on my JTVs and just thought "everyone" was leveling based on an idiosyncrasy of HDv2.0. Looked at putting the leveled banks in as a WB time saver for me. Never thought that much about what you say..maybe I'll revert back to my original updated bundle that Workbench HD backed up and approach it with your philosophy.

Arislaf - many thanks.  I was thinking there was a written list of the offsets, but I should be able to glean the needed info (into the ballpark, at least) from those sets.

do what you want...

...I always do, young fella - I always do.  :rolleyes:   I appreciate your point of view, but in my application consistency trumps accuracy. I want to be able to try new things on the fly - the musical environment I'm working in moves fast - and the current volume discrepancies make that all but impossible. If I knew exactly what I was going to be doing before the fact in every application, sure I'd set up different patches and such.  But I don't, so.... 

• Upvote 1

I have to admit I am playing with the same idea. Just tired to boost the guitar models with different gains to hit my target signal level out of the first model in the chain. There is easily a 9 dDB difference between by Spunk 4 and Lester 1. The rest, I think, falls somewhere in the the middle, but I did not check them all.

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9388.0

All models output were adjusted to match Lester so switching models in mid-set (or mid-song) won't require a volume adjustment on my amp or pedals.

I adjusted the output of each model using my POD HD & Headphones or a Fender Super Champ XD --YMMV.
Custom1 was set up so I can play Acoustic in position 3 and toggle to Lester or Spank
I didn't adjust the Reso Models
I changed pickups on some of the Semi's
Custom2 is all Masonite body with Strat pickups

I went through my models on both my 59 & 69S and leveled the models' levels also with the 2 guitars' mag levels. I set it so there was minimal difference between the models and the mags, plus raised the quieter models and lowered the loud ones. I agree with that camp of thought. The Lesters - especially the bridge position model are so much higher that they tend to stick out like a sore thumb, IMO...

Also between the 59 and 69S, just the nature of the HB versus SC mags, there is a pretty large difference in levels. I could not make that go away, so I ended up taking my HD500(X) original set list for the 59, and copied the set list for the 69S and adjusting the levels of the input part of the signal chain up -- turned out to be about 3 or 4 db, using either a tube compressor or preamp FX with neutral tonal settings, but boosting the level. My goal was to have equivalent levels to begin with on the patches. Over time, I have tweaked the tonality of the amps to suit the guitars. I'm pretty happy with the outcome, but continue to tweak and evolve the sounds. I use both guitars out gigging, and when I switch between them, I change the active set list to the appropriate guitar's set. They have essentially the same sounds in the same places for the two instruments. the guitar models that are basically unchanged between the 59 & 69S set lists are my acoustics and banjo patches...

I leveled the models mostly by ear rather than a scientific method -- took a long time, and I continue to adjust as the mood hits.... The real boon to this has been the relatively recent development of WB being made to work through the HD500(X) VDI, as the guitars sound different via the 1/4" input versus the VDI input that I use for the switching and powering capabilities. The relative levels of the mags versus models are different on my two JTV's versus the VDI input. Mags are higher than the models on the VDI, while the models are higher than the mags through the 1/4" inputs.... I was never very happy trying to adjust models & levels with the USB interface and monitoring via the 1/4" into the HD500X, only to find the VDI input sounded different...

Dave

Spunk 4

Was this a Freudian slip Martin certainly made me laugh. I have also tried to level the models I suppose the only other way is if you used the pod would be setting the levels on that for each model but it would require a lot of tap dancing at a gig so I changed output on the Variax.