Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

My first Amp Can anyone help a Noob out please???

sickman75

Line 6 30 watt is the first amp I ever bought and I bought it last week. Its complicated because of the lack of tones it offers. I'm looking for a Tom Petty tone and I am not finding anything in the file sections.  Do I need to buy the Pod or HD to upload users custom tones?  Or is there a way around this somehow that I'm just not understanding?  Ive been adjusting and playing with settings. Something isn't quite clicking and it may be me and my frustration level. Any help is appreciated. Thank You.

Yes Ive read the manual. In fact I will probably reread it again just to see if I missed something or maybe something will click.

Thanks for the advice about the MkII Express and Shortboard pedal. I will ask the guitar shop today and see what they have in store. I know last time he mentioned something about the desktop Pod as an option as well. I really just dont know what I need exactly. I should have bought the the 75 watt one instead. Seems like most people went that route instead of the 30w

Yeah, wiht its memory spots and extra volume,the 75 is a very good choice for first amp.   Be careful of who you talk to at a store - not all 'self professed experts' are that!  The Pod will not let you connect the amp to the internet.

To find tones you like, you can start with any of the presets in the amp or with the basic manual settings, then adjust the Drive and EQ controls, then the FX controls.  Experiment to see how each one affects your overall sound.  You may not be able to exactly match someone's else's tone because of your guitar choice, and because of their particular amp and effects choices.

• 4 weeks later...

When looking for a particular tone (especially an artist's "sound"  I find that youtube is a great place to start.  Look at what effects the artist uses and then try to replicate that on your amp....odds on you can get pretty close. BUT remember that a great deal of the artists tone comes from the fingers/technique so give it some leeway :)