Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DT 50 loss of most of the volume with a low buzz

Hendrix35

So Friday night I played a gig like most other Friday and Saturday nights for the last few months and my DT50/500 rig was singing like a bird.  Went to plug it in Saturday and the volume was almost non-existent and I could only hear anything when I turned it all the way up and then it was scratchy.  Had to play direct for the entire gig even though I tried it during the breaks and nothing had changed.  Just plugged it in tonight (Monday) and still the same thing.  I read on here to try through the effects return and get the same result.  I usually run the L6 link so I tried just plugging into the front and still have the same result.  There is a low hum/buzz as soon as I turn the standby switch to on.  I looked and all the tubes seem to be lighting up.  I'm really hoping it's not serious I think I'm still under warranty but don't want to be without my beloved head!  Tried 25 and 50 watt modes and all topos I can hear the gain change but the volume is still like 10 db at full volume.  PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Have you checked to see if your amp's serial number falls into the category of those that have issues that need to be covered under warranty? Might not be a bad idea to do a support ticket with Line 6. The sooner the better.

tube heaters lighting up does not mean anything other than the heaters are working....complete lose of volume with some residual signal makes me think that perhaps you have a bad tube...I would start with the 12AX7s and then try the new power tubes....How old are the tubes? 

The tubes are original from October of 2013 so I guess that could be it.  Also I was checking out my old 4 x 12 cabinet with another amp and something seems to be wrong with it like wires are crossed or something.  I looked at the wires inside and nothing seems to be amiss but the cabinet was working fine too until Saturday night could they be related.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update to help others I had my amp serviced and one of the pentode/triode relays was fried and dead shorted.  Still don't know if my cab which now has four blown very old vintage speakers caused it or vice-versa but whatever.  Does anyone know if one can buy the custom g12h90 speakers that are in the dt 50 cab?