Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Thoughts on model packs

chuskey

I don't think the prices of the packs are too bad. Amplitube sells individual amp models for as much as 30 bucks each with an extra 5 for the matched cab. Of course most Amplitube models are licensed from the actual manufacturer.

I am glad to see the inclusion of some original Line 6 amps because for the most part I have loved the sounds of them in the past. I suspect that being HD models I will love them even more!

Would I rather get the amps for free...well of course I would. 

My hope is Line 6 will continue to add amp models and effects in the hopes that my POD HD500 will continue to be supported for a few more years.

• Upvote 1

if you have a 500x, by the end of the month... the rest of the HD pods (except 300/400) will follow within a couple of weeks after.

...last i heard.

I just want to know when these updates/models will be available, anyone have an idea?

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I was wondering what others' opinion on L6's new pricing for model packs are.  I feel like for what you're getting they're a bit overpriced. 

Before I get to my thoughts on that let me get some of the usual BS out of the way in an attempt to keep the thread on track and not get it derailed.  Although I'm sure it will....

Line 6 doesn't "owe" us anything

I don't think that I/we "deserve" any new amps/features

Line 6 doesn't "have" to come out with any new amps/features

I'm happy with the unit exactly how I bought it and if they never come out with any new updates I'm still perfectly happy and it works as advertised. 

I think that covers all of the usual objections when someone brings up a "criticism". 

So MAYBE we can avoid the "if you don't like it just don't buy it" comments..

Moving on.

Over the course of the HD500 life span that have added several new features and some new amp models, always free of charge to the end user.  I think that the features they've added have been great and I think it's one of the best units on the market when you factor in cost, versatility, and tone. 

Having said that we're looking at a unit that is over 4 years old, which is old for technology.  Doesn't mean it doesn't sound good, but you've god Axe Fx coming out with new firmware all the time, Kemper just launched new firmware, and you have the Amplifire that just launched (at basically the same price point). 

Out of all those units I still think the HD500X is the best fit for my needs and is an incredible value for the money. 

But where I differ with the current development path is the pricing on the new model packs. 

Take the vintage pack.  You get basically 4 amps (AC30 has 2 variations), 2 cabs, and acoustic model, and whatever Pete Anderson custom is.  This is for $50.  To me this seems pretty steep.

On the high gain you're really only getting 2 new HD models and the rest are old Pod Farm algorithms.  The "remastered" JCM800 to me just seems like an admition that the first one wasn't spot on.  So why have to pay for a correction?

Like it or not the HD500 is not the new kid on the block and I would think it would be worth adding a few new features to the firmware as incentive to get new users interested and keep the current user base on board.  If you go fully loaded on the new model packs you're looking at $99 which puts you at Amplifire price range.

Again I know they're not the same product, but Amplifire is brand new, has lots of hype around it, and by all accounts uses very high quality components.  As well as promises of upcoming updates and amp models at no charge to the end user. 

I guess my point is that the HD series is aging and while it's VERY capable it is still old by tech standards.  Instead of making new and existing users pay a premium for new models that are made with older and arguably less cutting edge modeling methods/technology, that same effort could be applied to attract new customers and strengthen the current user base if it was a free update. 

I bet even Axe Fx would catch flack for selling a handful amp models in a pack for $50. 

I realize that something is worth what people will pay for it and maybe these model packs will sell like hot cakes and people will love them. 

I almost feel like maybe this is the influence of Yamaha looking to get some new revenue out of the HD line.  Line 6 hasn't charged for model packs since the XT days, and after the acquisition it's starts doing that again.  After offering several free updates over the last few years?  Just seems like there could be an influence making that happen. 

Or maybe it was something on ideascale that got voted up.  Who knows. 

Just my .02.   This may make perfect business sense for L6. 

I likely won't buy the model packs, and really don't see much there of interest for my personal taste, just thought it was an interesting development.  

No problem with the pricing and I plan on getting the full bundle.  

Axe Fx/Kemper/[insert new expensive wizbang here] inital cost is also much much higher than Line 6 charges for their products, as you pointed out.  This is speculation but perhaps this is why those companies can afford to give away some of there work on upgrades because of that inital price point. Those upgrades cost money to develop, regarless of what company produces them. Programmers, Managers, Project managers, marketing staff, etc.... don't work for free.  

You would be surprised how many people do work for free at software companies. Either on purpose or inadvertently. 

You would be surprised how many people do work for free at software companies. Either on purpose or inadvertently. 

Sorry dude, I work as a developer for a software company. We get paid quite well. Never known absousltly anyone to work for free. Really I'm going to go an pay for college to get my degree and then work for free?   Nope not happening. 

Work too many hours  Oh yea.... that can be the norm if you let it.

Just installed the models that I purchased during the sale because I had some shows and didn't wanna do all the update crap before that. For my $70, I definitely got my money's worth. The bass amps for recording, some of those vintage cleans/early break-up tones, and all the metalz are gonna make there way into patches somewhere. I really, really, really, really want to get the Helix once its been out a few months and the reliability is tested, but my HD500X sounds great and will remain as a backup and a quick set-up home recording rig.

I heard good things about all of them but results will vary, I bought the Metal one on a Friday and returned it the next day. I personally still like the Treadplate better than anything that was in that expansion but that's just me and my needs. Line 6 was super cool about the return and it was completed by the end of the week. They're worth a try anyways, maybe you'll like them, maybe you won't. You can always get your money back if you don't feel it was worth it. I have no regrets for trying it, at least I know now it wasn't for me and I'm not out anything. Still might try the Vintage one though just for the JC-120, I hear it's really good.

I don't think they are overpriced though. I had the same question a while back and after trying one pack I can say you do get quite a few varied options, they just didn't work out for me in the end as far as the Metal pack goes. But say the Shiva or Panama became your new go-to model, I'd call that worth it. If the Treadplate wasn't a stock model and was part of the metal pack I would have totally kept it but thankfully for me it was a stock model. The Treadplate, Hiway 100, Blackface 'Lux and Solo 100 models are all I ever use really but I'd be cool with paying $50 for the JC alone if I though it sounded good with my setup.

I want a good JVM model at some point though, all channels too. That amp is sick!

• 1 year later...

It took a long while for me to get the money to buy into the HD line.  I had been using both X3 Live and a Spider IV HD150 half stack in live situations for 5 years...by the way the HD in HD150 has nothing to do with the newer HD line.  When I finally did move up to the HD I was extremely disappointed with the idea that I need to spend an additional $100 to REALLY have the HD. I had tried the HD 500 out at a local music store and was impressed with the sounds but didn't know that the unit I took home was really not the same until I had tried at the music store.  It bugged me so much that I almost brought it back.  Really the only reason I didn't bother is that I found out about the Marshall CODE amps and am waiting for its release.   My plan is to get out of Line 6 all together.  When I heard Positive Grids iPad apps I was blown away.  Clearly there is a lot better technology available now. Line 6s HD line sounds pathetic next to Positive Grid. I have noticed a remarkable increase in the quality of Intel Chips and Bridges coming out not to mention that memory has begun to be 10 times smaller than ever.  SSDs are coming out that completely blow away the previous tech.   So obviously newer better hardware is going to affect any thing like this.  No I am no longer happy with Line 6 especially because of this stunt in particular.  I feel like I got ripped off.

• Upvote 1

Necro thread!

The model packs are what "we" wanted. We asked, we received and all in all L6 delivered the goods.

Clearly if you can't create the tones you want you may need to step back and evaluate either your monitoring setup or patch building technique/HD setup.

Coming from a XT/X3 myself there was a noticeable change in how tones were developed.

If you feel like you got ripped off a) ask for help or b) sell it and move on.

Either way its all good.

-B

I was extremely disappointed with the idea that I need to spend an additional $100 to REALLY have the HD.

I feel like I got ripped off.

Holy lollipop. What about the people who waited 5 years from the time the unit was released until the time that the bonus packs were made available? 

Does that mean that they waited 5 years to have "HD". 

Then what exactly did they have for all those years.

You, sir, are a schmuck. 

I had tried the HD 500 out at a local music store and was impressed with the sounds but didn't know that the unit I took home was really not the same until I had tried at the music store. 

I think this line tells me me more about what you are experiencing. And it all boils down to what I said before. You are a schmuck. But, at least, this time you are schmuck for a different reason. 

The music store did not spend the money on the model packs. That would be foolish of them to do so. 

BUT, what the music store probably did was upgrade to the latest firmware.

Your brand new, never before purchased, unit most likely shipped from the factory with Firmware 1.0 - the original. 

It is sort of like doing a Windows Update. But L6 doesn't do little updates each month like Microsoft does, L6 releases major overhauls at one time. 

Update your system and quit complaining.

Pianouyy, You seem to be taking this very personally.  Insults don't do much for your product. I am a bit amazed, having been in costumer service myself, at your personal accusations.  I will remember that next time I even have a waft of a Line 6 product come my way.  Please don't contact me any more.  I would like to report this to your boss.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Pianouyy, You seem to be taking this very personally. Insults don't do much for your product. I am a bit amazed, having been in costumer service myself, at your personal accusations. I will remember that next time I even have a waft of a Line 6 product come my way. Please don't contact me any more. I would like to report this to your boss.

This is a user forum. While L6 employees occasionally chime in, he isn't one of them. 99.97% of the folks who post here are not affiliated with the company at all.

Sorry Dude, you actually come off as the troll by bitching and moaning through your post. This being a user forum we do get the occasional rant (which  is fine) but usually a bit of justification is warranted to avoid the troll-label.

Stuff like this: the (____) sounds like lollipop or I got lollipoped by Line 6 on my (____) ,    <- is going to help no-one.

What PG said was pretty much spot on. The awesome sounding HD at the store probably did not have the model packs, most likely the latest (free) firmware and probably had a good rig to amplify it.

BTW the Marshall Code sounded awesome in the clips I saw - that puppy should be on the shelves somewhere.

-B

• 2 months later...

I think it's absurd to charge $99 for the new model packs - especially if they're not even HD... but then again, maybe HD doesn't really mean what we think it does.  Perhaps it's just marketing.  I have both the HD500X and the FX-100 - and for jamming at home and basic recording - the FX100 sounds just as good if not better than the HD500X.  I'll take everybody's word for it that the HD500 is superior under detailed situations and a trained ear.  One could argue, my POD 2.0 produces tones that rival both units...  So, yes, if you are home grown rock star jamming to the tv and your favorite tunes and you want a bunch of amp models and effects, take the $99 bucks and invest it towards the $200 Amplifi TT - much better bang for the buck.  Only those extermely high on life can argue the HD500 screen is easier to navigate than the retina display of the Amplifi app on a phone or ipad.

The Firehawk is just about out - and it has every amp model the HD500X and FX100 has, with as much I/O and routing options as they care to enable via software.  The HD series is old and it's replacement will certainly be the Firehhawk 2 - or whatever they call the HD replacement.  Costs incurred developing these new amp models is more than worth it to keep an aging product afloat -- and knowing line 6, they'll use these amp models for years in future amps, floorboard, and software units.  It's not like they hired a team to make these new amp models specifically for the HD500.  Developing amp models for a wide range of products is what they do!  We already paid -- and we'll pay again as we move forward buying new products.  Having said that, I LOVE the idea of keeping a product going for as long as possible - if it aint broke, don't fix it (Did I mention I still use my POD 2.0).  The problem with the HD series is the now aging processor...  So while software updates can extend the usable life of your PC, you get to a point where your hardware limits updates.  The HD processor is old like that and definintely at the end of its life cycle.  There are numerous ipad virtual guitar apps under $20 that already sound better than the HD (try BIAS) and include all sorts of amps (consider how much more powerful the processor is on your ipad vs the processor in the HD500).  How can Line6 justify charging $100 for 10 new amps on old hardware?  Save that boutique pricing for recording plug ins!  Now, if they were selling a new processor, or a color screen you could update your HD with, then that might be worth $100, but to charge us for software they are already developing feels kind of like a scam.

I'm hoping that Line6 is going to surprise us all and give away these new amp models for the HD series.  Get us talking about buying them in these forums and THEN 'give' them away... that would be some cool marketing.  That would make me feel better about the $1000's of dollars I've dropped on L6 over the years.  Isn't customer loyalty worth giving away a few amp models to EXISTING customers?

Tried a pod 2.0- it sounded bad in headphones and line out to an amp . Ordered and HD500X and if it sunds as good or better as the spider iv I will be happy especially with the HD bundle free as a bonus 

I have a question about that modelpacks:

I have an pod hd300 and i can't find if the hd modelpack are compatible with the pod hd300.

next question is: is de hd bass pack worth his money or sould I stay with the regular models?

thanks for the answers!

The model packs aren't compatible with the HD300.

I guess my wording was a bit off. What I meant was more like ---- 

But they aren't all the same model packs. 

As in, make sure you are buying the ones made for your unit. Rather than just randomly buying something that seems interesting, only to discover that it wasn't compatible with your particular device. 

Better?