Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

M20D - Pan Outputs?

I'm guessing this is not possible - I don't see an option

I often play small or odd sized rooms.  Sometimes one speaker is in front of me and one behind.  In these situations on a conventional mixer I would simply pan the outputs or splay the L/R faders to have one speaker louder than the other.

Any way to do this?

I don't believe so, well not as you describe anyway.

Simplest solution would be to pan your inputs to reduce the output to the rear speaker, or alternatively, knock a few db's off the speakers own gain knob :-)

You *could* create two setups... one with balanced L/R and a second with the inputs panned, then just jump between the two depending upon venue :-)

Thanks guys - But panning the individual channels (8 of them) is not a simple solution.  

When it's performance time and you need to adjust, I can't reach a speaker when playing, nor can I say 'hold on while I try to pan all these channels evenly'.  :-)

Split stereo out would be great - Maybe I just have to use the monitor outs as L & R.  (just thought of that - Thanks for making me think!)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys - But panning the individual channels (8 of them) is not a simple solution.  

When it's performance time and you need to adjust, I can't reach a speaker when playing, nor can I say 'hold on while I try to pan all these channels evenly'.  :-)

I didn't quite understand this in relation to your original question. I understood that you were playing two different venues... thus the panning was between those venues, not within a performance.

Within a performance, you could achieve what you want using two scenes. Scene one within the setup would have everything panned as normal, then scene two would have the inputs panned as required. You can then use a momentary footswitch to switch between the "scenes" and not need to touch the M20 or speakers at all.

If the panning is something required for the entire performance, ie it is venue based, then I still refer back to the original suggestions of a distinct setup with the pan in place and a second setup with no panning. Then load the setup appropriate for how you rig the room. There shouldn't be any need to adjust the panning or touch the speaker gains once you've done your initial setup and soundcheck.

• Downvote 1

I didn't quite understand this in relation to your original question. I understood that you were playing two different venues... thus the panning was between those venues, not within a performance.

Negative

I'm just asking to be able to adjust the levels of the R and L speakers (on the fly).  If I had stereo outs (such as an analogue desk), it's dead simple.

The M20d does have stereo outputs- it does not have a main output balance control. Although there are some cases, like yours, where this can be useful main output balance controls are rare also on analog mixers.

Yes - A dedicated balance is rare, but splayed faders (L+R) are not.  Would be super handy.

I can think of a couple of work arounds.

You could assign one monitor bus to be post fader and use that to control your backline speaker independently from your front speaker

Or you could assign all of your inputs to a group. Then you could use the pan control for the group to change the ratio of left to right on the mains outputs.