Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Need help setting up this rig

xaviery123

I've recently bought the line 6 pod HD PRO x rackmount processor. I have no knowledge what so ever in hooking this up. I have a Mac and a Windows computer available. Gear: line 6 spider iv HD 150 amp head, 100w crate cab, FBV mkii express pedal. Three instrument cables available, and two speaker cables. I've been searching the web for solutions but nothing has helped me. How can I hook this up, ready to use? Many people have used the 4 cable method; however it doesn't apply to me since my amp has no effects loop, amp head only has L R speaker outs, and a direct/phones Jack. I'm looking to get sound out of my cab, hoping that the processor reads my amp head only as a power amp. I went to samash and guitar center to inquire, the only solution I got was to guitar>Pro x in>unbalanced L>amp head in. I got around however the knobs on the processor AND the amp head were operational, I'm assuming the processor reads the amp head as another pre amp, I don't want this. The sound I get is low, and I have to raise the volume for each and every preset on processor because they all have different volume levels,one preset is much louder than another preset. I feel like this method is not really reliable, I have no idea what to do.

Without an effects loop on the amp, I think you'll have to use the method you mentioned "guitar>Pro x in>unbalanced L>amp head in".

There isn't a way to bypass the preamp with this method so you'll need to set the amp knobs to get as clean and neutral of a sound as possible and work from there.

Many people have used the 4 cable method; however it doesn't apply to me since my amp has no effects loop, amp head only has L R speaker outs, and a direct/phones Jack. I'm looking to get sound out of my cab, hoping that the processor reads my amp head only as a power amp. I went to samash and guitar center to inquire, the only solution I got was to guitar>Pro x in>unbalanced L>amp head in. I got around however the knobs on the processor AND the amp head were operational, I'm assuming the processor reads the amp head as another pre amp, I don't want this. The sound I get is low, and I have to raise the volume for each and every preset on processor because they all have different volume levels,one preset is much louder than another preset. I feel like this method is not really reliable, I have no idea what to do.

Running from the POD straight into the front end of an amp...any amp...is always going to be a problem, because you are daisy-chaining two pre-amps together. It will be difficult at best to get any kind of decent sound this way. Your only real option is to try the POD's various output modes and see what sounds best to you, but understand that you may find it extraordinarily difficult to dial in any usable tones this way, depending on what kind of sound you're looking for. Even if you do find a sound(s) you like, chaining them together like this will create a lot of extra noise in the signal that is likely to drive you up the wall. These units were not meant to be paired together. You will have a much easier time getting a dedicated power amp to drive your cabinet.

If you want to get up and running with minimal extra cost, you could try a small power amp like this: http://www.ehx.com/products/44-magnum

It's just about the least expensive power amp you're gonna find...and certainly the smallest, lol. I've never used one, so I have no idea how it sounds, or how loud it can actually get, but they're out there...somebody's using them.

• Upvote 1

I've recently bought the line 6 pod HD PRO x rackmount processor. Gear: line 6 spider iv HD 150 amp head, 100w crate cab, FBV mkii express pedal. The sound I get is low, and I have to raise the volume for each and every preset on processor because they all have different volume levels,one preset is much louder than another preset. I feel like this method is not really reliable, I have no idea what to do.

The best thing you can do is to just think of the head as a power amp and EVERYTHING else is done in the POD.  You should get a stereo adapter cable to go from your POD L and R 1/4 outs to a 1/8 stereo plug into the CD/MP3 jack on the back of your head.  This will bypass everything in the head and make it a plain power amp.  Be advised that this has no volume control on the amp! It is full blast! Use the Master on the POD HD Pro to control your output volume.

As far as leveling volumes between patches on the POD, that is a well documented feature (problem?) with the HD series.  As with the real amps, there are differences in output between the various amp models.  That is the primary purpose of the channel volume rather than the master volume.  My suggestion is to max out the quietest amp models channel volume and then lower the other amp models to match it.  Use the Master volume as your overall volume control.  It is a steep learning curve with the POD but you will get there.  READ THE MANUALS! and of course Meambobbo's excellent guide...

The best thing you can do is to just think of the head as a power amp and EVERYTHING else is done in the POD.  You should get a stereo adapter cable to go from your POD L and R 1/4 outs to a 1/8 stereo plug into the CD/MP3 jack on the back of your head.  This will bypass everything in the head and make it a plain power amp.  Be advised that this has no volume control on the amp! It is full blast! Use the Master on the POD HD Pro to control your output volume.

As far as leveling volumes between patches on the POD, that is a well documented feature (problem?) with the HD series.  As with the real amps, there are differences in output between the various amp models.  That is the primary purpose of the channel volume rather than the master volume.  My suggestion is to max out the quietest amp models channel volume and then lower the other amp models to match it.  Use the Master volume as your overall volume control.  It is a steep learning curve with the POD but you will get there.  READ THE MANUALS! and of course Meambobbo's excellent guide...

I hadn't thought of that, and it probably will work for limited use at bedroom volumes. Personally, I'd be hesitant to run it like that for any length of time at stage volume. I certainly wouldn't gig with it set up like that, as that input wasn't designed for that kind of use. Who knows, you might get away with it for years, but in my experience, the "duct-tape and happy thoughts" method of gluing two pieces of gear together that weren't supposed to be mated, doesn't pan out in the long run, lol. He needs a power amp...that head is really designed to be a stand alone unit.

I hadn't thought of that, and it probably will work for limited use at bedroom volumes. Personally, I'd be hesitant to run it like that for any length of time at stage volume. I certainly wouldn't gig with it set up like that, as that input wasn't designed for that kind of use.

These inputs are designed to bypass the internal preamp and effects and apply the input directly to the power amp input.  Other than its a 1/8 stereo plug vice 2 separate 1/4 mono plugs it does exactly the same thing. I have no doubt it will work as designed without any issues.  The only question is how hard you drive the input signal,probably should have advised to set the 1/4 output to amp vice line to avoid clipping but it will get loud no problem.

So, Radatats, what quality stereo adapter cable would you recommend, can you post a link of a good one? now, this method of connecting, when you said the Pod's L R outputs, which were you referring too may you specify. Also what kinds of cables should i use? instrument cables? speaker cables? if so, does gauge matter for speaker cables? i really don't want to fry anything. And should this method be made permanent? or when i can, do you recommend getting a power amp anyways so as Cruisinon2 mentioned obtaining a dedicated power amp, or my amp head will do just fine?  In case you guys needed to know. I plan to just record at home, play at home, and if the opportunity presents itself I would be keen to play live. also will this method use the POD to its full capabilities?

So, Radatats, what quality stereo adapter cable would you recommend, can you post a link of a good one? now, this method of connecting, when you said the Pod's L R outputs, which were you referring too may you specify.

See the links below for the adapter cable you would use and some extenders if you need more length.  You would plug into the left and right unbalanced outputs, #25 on page 8 of the Pilot's Guide and set the switch there to Amp to begin with.  If for some reason it's not loud enough, you could try switching it to Line.  This will let you use the POD to it's full capability and should work just fine for home use and playing out in a pinch.  Another option is to just get a headphone adapter plug and use the long extender cable to go from the POD headphone out to the POD CD/MP3 input.

Stereo Cables, 10' Extender, 25' Extender, Headphone Adapter

The truth is to fully take advantage of the POD you will want to get a true FRFR setup, a decent pair of powered PA speakers if you want the capability to play out or studio monitors if you plan to only play at home.  What you have will work fine for now but you are still playing through a guitar cab and speakers and this is not optimal for a stereo POD.  They just don't have the full range you really need and will color the sound on their own.  Don't worry about it though, play with what you have until you really get a feel for it and can make a good decision on what you want going forward.

All right thanks for everything everyone. i'll get right to it once this week ends. Anywho Radatats, before even buying the unit, my intentions were to hook it up to studio monitors, just that i don't have the money for it. Once i save up i'll switch.