Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Microtonal Guitar

Triryche

Actually the twelve tone system we have is the one that's out of tune. We need to reeducate our brains to hear microtonal as 'normal'. I'm a huge fan, check out John Schneider's 'Just' tuned guitars (not always microtonal, but mathematically correct tuning).

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Harry Partch's 43-notes to the octave tuning might be a bit much for you to absorb.

Actually the twelve tone system we have is the one that's out of tune. We need to reeducate our brains to hear microtonal as 'normal'. I'm a huge fan, check out John Schneider's 'Just' tuned guitars (not always microtonal, but mathematically correct tuning).

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Harry Partch's 43-notes to the octave tuning might be a bit much for you to absorb.

Yes, obviously my feeble mind is certainly incapable of absorbing such an "evolved" concept. If its your cup of tea, that's fine. Enjoy...more for you.

Sqeeze 68 notes into an octave if you like, but I'll pass.

Okay I the first vid was intresting and I liked the sound of the classical playing that partiuclar type of music.  Althought I would hate to try to remember what the heck notes to play on that beast!

The second link sounded like a completely out of tune guitar.  Kind where you get the point you have completed overthough the whole thing to the point it's noise again.  Kind of like some paintings, some may claim it's abstract but looks like something a 3 year old would do to me.  You enjoy it more power to ya.

The second link sounded like a completely out of tune guitar.  Kind where you get the point you have completed overthough the whole thing to the point it's noise again.  Kind of like some paintings, some may claim it's abstract but looks like something a 3 year old would do to me.  You enjoy it more power to ya.

No, no...you see, you have to "re-educate" yourself into thinking that its "normal". Then it will sound as if the heavens have opened just for you, lol.

I'm sorry, but if you have to talk yourself into believing that something is awesome...it's not. :P But that's just me, lol. As always, it's all subjective, YMMV.

...  Althought I would hate to try to remember what the heck notes to play on that beast!

Maybe you might have said the same thing the very first time you picked up, or even looked at, a 'normal' guitar. I don't know if that's the case for myself; I was too young to remember something like that. But I would guess it was something along the lines of simply-wanting-to-play-it-because-it's-cool, nothing more.

But with that many frets, why not just play a fretless? Which to me, is probably more intimidating.

Kind of feel sorry for the luthier too.

The second link sounded like a completely out of tune guitar.  Kind where you get the point you have completed overthough the whole thing to the point it's noise again. 

I think the problem with the second video is all the overdrive/distortion. There's a reason power chords sound cool with distortion and jazz chords don't, so microtonal tuning with distortion is a little pointless in my book as you lose any clarity gained by these systems.

But with that many frets, why not just play a fretless? Which to me, is probably more intimidating.

He said he likes the timbre of the frets.

Yeah, fretless would scare me too!!

Bass? Maybe. Guitar? YIKES!!

For a microtonal the pieces he playted sounded fairly western.

It would be interesting to see someone incorporate the genre of music that instrument is made for into another genre, say more of a rock guitar instrumental with popularity in mind. Would most people perceive it to be out of tune and something just not right with it? Maybe it would be something that requires the listener to actually work at the listening.

It's also interesting that some people, like Steve Vai, actually go in the opposite direction with the frets, and have them made in a way that provides a more stable intonation across the entire fretboard.

It's also interesting that some people, like Steve Vai, actually go in the opposite direction with the frets, and have them made in a way that provides a more stable intonation across the entire fretboard.

Straight-fretted instruments are always a compromise (which is a further compromise to the already compromised Equal Temperament system!), so that's how all guitars should really be made. I use Earvana nuts to get my guitars a little but closer to the correct ET frequencies without having to mess with the frets.

That fluid piano is fascinating. Opens up a lot of creative possibilities. Looks a little cumbersome to actually use it though, not to mention difficult to learn. I could see some sort of foot controlled electronics for controlling the sliders to help keep both hands free for the keys.

Never heard of a well tuned piano before. I really liked the way it sounds. It certainly gives a unique character. It seems to add a considerable amount of richness and mysteriousness to that particular piece.