Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

X3 Live Dead After Outdoor Show

chays

Hi,

I used my X3 Live outside on Saturday.  Probably not smart.  Anyway, after about two hours in the sun it went dead.  Would not even power up.  I tested the power supply and it was bad.  I used another power supply (from my XT Live) and the X3 powered up for about two seconds and then went dead.  Then I smelled something burning.  The second power supply is still okay and still powers the XTLive okay.  Is this thing worth repairing?  There is a service center near me (Preston Electronics) that I could take it to, but if anyone has experience with this kind of problem and can kind of say this thing is really really dead you'd save me the diagnostic fee which I could put toward another unit.

TIA

PS - I've got more outdoor shows coming up.  Should I be looking for different equipment to use outside?

I would say, it's probably worth taking it or sending it to a service center to at least have it looked at. It could be something relatively minor. Perhaps you popped a fuse at the X3L's power input.

Thanks guys.  I might just buy an HD500.  I kind of wanted to upgrade anyway.  

Are these POD units generally safe to use outside in the sun?  I've played outdoor shows before with no problem but losing my X3 Live has got me a little concerned.  Besides the expense of replacing/repairing the unit, I also had to switch gear in the middle of a show and don't want to go through that again.    

Well, heat is the enemy of electronics. Generally, though, there shouldn't be a problem with using this stuff outdoors. How hot did it get? Were you on pavement? I kind of wonder if you didn't experience some sort of power surge that fired your power supply. Just because you were outside when it happened doesn't mean that the issue you had was directly related to the fact that you were outside.

...Just because you were outside when it happened doesn't mean that the issue you had was directly related to the fact that you were outside.

Good point.  There is a service center not far from me.  I think I'll have them take a look.

Thanks guys!

in my experience the price to get things fixed is usually a large part of the cost of newer and better....

having said that... certain things (as in vintage gear) are worth fixing rather than replacing....

i'd say that the suggestion of looking at an upgrade is going to be real appealing.