Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax guitar worth it?

hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right section since it says "JTV" but I'll ask my questions about Variax guitars

I'm a HD500 owner who plays Blacktop Fender Jaguar for pleasure. I always connect hd500 to my computer with usb and guitar to guitar in.  I use Sony MDR 7506 Monitor Headphones for creating new tones. (I have a few little tone problems with this rig which I'm not sure about the source. it may be the guitar, pod HD or my lack of understanding about tone building)

I'm not professional but I want to record my guitar every now and then. I've never had a single coil guitar before and lately I was thinking about getting a cheap Squier; but I've come across this second hand Variax 300 guitar for 300$ and first I thought it would be great to have a Variax with my HD500. Then I realized that this is a fairly old model plus it needs batteries to work. I really don't want to replace batteries all the time. (I'm aware there is another solution with external plug but still a pain in the lollipop.)

so please give me your opinions:

is this old guitar worth the money for the modeling with my hd500?
is hardware likely to fail in short term?

is modelling very different(in quality) than the newer models?

Should I better look for newer models? (but actually I can't because I won't have 1000$ in short time.)

is it better for me to get a cheap Squier Bullet Strat than this old Variax?

pls keep in mind that I'm not professional, I want to have strat, tele, les paul style guitars in long term. thank you

1)Yes

2)Nobody knows. I have a 300 and 700. 700 10 years ld, the only thing failed was the piezo. 300 still fine.

3) Yes it is. But acoustic guitars , strato and semi-jazz guitars are better in the old variax.

4) It is up yo you. New variax has better the rest of the guitars

5) NO

is this old guitar worth the money for the modeling with my hd500?

- That is a decent price for older Variax.

is hardware likely to fail in short term?

-  Who knows? I use a old 500 and it still works great. Having a bad Peizo is the most likely issue you will run into. Eventually one day the entire board might fail, but it seems they have pretty good life span in that apsect. I suspect they will out last a lot of us.

is modelling very different(in quality) than the newer models?

- Yes. The modelling is supposed to be better. There were a couple of post aroud here with some sound clips. I think the JTV clips sound better. Getting ready to order me one very soon, hence why I watch this forum despise the fact I don't own a JTV yet.

Should I better look for newer models? (but actually I can't because I won't have 1000$ in short time.)

- Up to you. The old models work and play fine. They still sound and function like they did before. Not likely your getting rid of your main guitar in favor of this one anyway, but if you wanted advantages of the JTV and have the cash then order one.  

is it better for me to get a cheap Squier Bullet Strat than this old Variax?

- Again a personal choice. The Variax will model the strat single coil tone (and a buch of others). Most likely it will have better sound than the Squire will due to the cheaper pickups they put in the Squire. But the Variax will not feel like the Squire. It doesn't have the same neck or body shape. The variax can model the sound a great Strat, it can't model the Physicality of the guitar.  And you could upgrade the Squire to the point of pretty decent guitar. Only you can really anwser which is better for you.

The Variax can be a fun guitar. The JTV *should* be the better model with upgraded appoitments, but just because the JTV is out there doesn't mean the old Variax's are bad guitars or quit working.  You can use get the POD HD500(x) to integrate with the Variax an power it with the VDI cable. Since your at home and don't need a stage ready cable, if you look the VDI is really nothing more than a Cat5 or Cat6 networking cable. You have to test but I'll bet one of those would do the job. The old Varaixes can chew up some batteries quickly.

If you have the HD500, not HD500x, then you can also download and use the old Variax Workbench as well. The HD500x works as far as playing with the old varaixs but it will not integate with the old Workbench, the HD500 still supports the old workbench.

• Upvote 1

I think $300 is too much to pay for a used Variax 300.  That was the low end model.  If it has problems, you could have to spend too much to fix it.  I would recommend either waiting to see how the new Standard goes over when it comes out soon or look for a deal on a JTV Variax.  I own an old 500 and a JTV and I love them but the JTV wins hands down.  Advantage of getting a new one is that it's covered for a year (or two if you buy from Sweetwater) in case the electronics have a problem.  The JTV also has Mag pickups so you can play it either with modeling or with mag pickups.  It has a much better battery too.

• Upvote 1

I bought a Variax 300 new for $300 back when they were blowing them out 7 or 8 years ago.  I actually sold it for that same price if I remember correctly. So, I don't know if $300 is a bad price necessarily. I think I'd be more inclined to put that money towards either a JTV or the new Standard. To me, the 300 seemed a lot more like a novelty guitar in a way. I never considered using as my main guitar. My JTV, however, has become my main guitar.

Maybe hold out for a sale on the JTV's, or a deal on the new Variax Standard?...

Depending on finances, you can split it into 8 payments from some place like Zzounds (which is exactly how I bought my JTV59!); or in three payments from Sweetwater - bigger chunks, but Sweetwater offers a two-year warranty which is pretty cool.)

You figure, the new Variax Standard will be $800; that's 8 payments of $100 from Zzounds, (or from Sweetwater, three payments of $267..)

http://www.zzounds.com/item--LINVARIAXSTD?siid=174229

The thing to keep in mind, is the JTV and the new 'Standard' both have standard magnetic pickups; and as a result give you some killer additional options, when used with an HD500. And, that they function as a regular guitar beyond the Variax portion is of value as well.

You run the VDI cable to the HD500, and you can split your magnetic pickups from the models / piezo, and route them through separate amp models, and/or in stereo. Ultimately, the JTV is probably a slightly nicer guitar build quality - compare the two point tremelo on the JTV69 vs the 6 screw trem on the Standard.

But the price gap has become somewhat negligible; will be interesting to see if sellers do any kind of sales or deals on JTV's down the line, depending on how the new Standard sells.

What the Colonel said plus Sweetwater typically has 24 month same-as-cash financing which would work out to $33.33 a month.  Right now they're running a 36 month same-as-cash promotion which would be $22.22 a month.  Plus Sweetwater adds an extra years warranty.

Hi, 

For what it is worth I just bought a JTV59 from Sweetwater.  They offer 0% financing over 24 months so it is about $40 a month.  Obviously it will cost more than the $300 for the old model.  But it is an extraordinary instrument. In fact IMHO the guitar itself is a high quality LP style guitar on its own even without the modeling.  I bought it for the modeling but Tylers humbuckers are terrific and worth the price of admission.  I can't speak to the 69 and the 89 but I expect they are on a par with the 59.  They are a bit cheaper than the 59 because they are bolt on neck guitars.  By the time that you finish paying for upgrading a Squire you could   probably get the 69 and have all of the cool modeling to boot. And 0% is free money.

• Upvote 1

You don't need batteries with a Variax and an HD500 because the HD will power the Variax over a VDI cable.

You do need to factor in a VDI cable but if you are very careful in your home environment you can just use any old ethernet cable you have lying around because that is the same thing but without the protective ends designed to make sure it doesn't break when you run across the stage and forget how long your cable is!

There are plenty of people using the older Variax models with HD500 including http://line6.com/support/user/13764-hurghanico/ who does a very good job of showcasing what they can do.

The question is really about whether you can live with the guitar as a guitar, and that is something that is deeply personal - the 700 was the top of the range and was a very good guitar, so much so that some people were trying to sell them on ebay for more than the new JTVs cost! If you can give it a hands on try I would and then decide whether you a) like the variax concept, b) like that specific guitar or want to save up for a better one

I can't comment on the VAX 300 but I do still own a VAX 700 along with a JTV 59 and JTV89F.  I prefer the modeling on the JTV's but there are also user's on these forums that still prefer the VAX 700.

That aside there is a definite advantage with the JTV and the magnetic pickups (which the newest Variax with the Yamaha Body also has) along with current support which the VAX 300 would not have.  I would suggest not going for the VAX 300 and either take advantage of interest free financing and going for the newer generation Variax.

I too would stay away from any of the old Variax models unless you can get a killer deal.  They have not been manufactured for a number of years and parts are expensive.  The new Variax Standard may be a good deal once it gets out and we find out how good it really is.  I would wait to see how well it's accepted here before buying it.  The JTV's are solid but they are also a few bucks more.