Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod Hd500 Usb Distortion (guitar Only)

thiruven

Hi,

I've had this problem since I upgraded to the latest firmware and drivers. When I try to record via USB to Garageband I get significant distorition. Below are the notes on the issue. Has Line6 done anything to fix this yet? I haven't seen any posts that truly have a solution to this issue besideds 'don't use USB' (which is not very helpful). It seems like a large enough issue.

-The distortion does NOT occur on output to my amp or headphones.

-The distortion is only on the guitar, the other mic input seems to work fine

-The distorition occurs when Im running a patch  (say dual tones - Acoustic / Vocal 5) or running through completely clean.

-I've swapped in/out all the cables and they seem to work fine.

-I've tried turning up the master and down the input on my mac and vice versa

-There is no 18db checkbox on the mac, but my current input is set below that on the midi controller (it's set to 9.5 for the guitar input channel) and 18db on the vocal.

-The distortion occurs with muliple types of guitars.

-This occurs both in the recording and when I turn on the computer speakers as a monitor. 

I can't figure this out. Can someone please help me out?

Thanks so much!

You said that

1) The distorition occurs when Im running a patch  (say dual tones - Acoustic / Vocal 5)

2) but my current input is set... 18db on the vocal

It seems the vocal path is distorted by the 18db setting...

Does Garageband allow you to meter the input levels? How close to 0dB is the guitar getting?

Did the input impedance of the Guitar input get reset to a value you used to not have?

Check your USB connection. The jack on HD500 is fragile and can easily break. I wonder if the pins are losing connection intermittently. I'm not sure, but normal USB links may have automatic retries for digital communications, so it may work seemingly fine for non-realtime tranfers like patch downloads and such. But when you try to stream audio across it you may be getting lots of missed samples.