Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500X Tube compressor

donnyedge

In what way do you mean unusable?

I think most people find it one of the easiest to use as a subtle and fairly transparent compressor that adds some tube warmth, and in most cases the default settings do this quite well.

It is not for squeezing all dynamics out of the signal, use one of the others for that.

The Tube Compressor works a bit backwards. The Threshold control is 0dB at 100%, and the Level control is unity gain at 2%. As you turn the Threshold down, you are lowering the threshold level, increasing the compression and adding automatic makeup gain (gain that is added after a compressor to make up for what was cut to achieve the compression). Attack and release are fixed.

So this is pretty easy to use. Start with Threshold at 100% and Level at 2%. Then turn Threshold down until you get the level of compression you want. Make any final level adjustments with the Level control.

You can use the Tube Compressor as a simple gain boost by setting the Threshold at 100% and adjusting the Level control as needed. Be careful not to overdrive the following effect/amp block. The Tube Compressor can add a lot of gain.

Note that the Tube Compressor is the only HD500 compressor that does not color the sound in any way other than through compression. All the other compressors have some high-end cut.

• Upvote 3

Note that the Tube Compressor is the only HD500 compressor that does not color the sound in any way other than through compression. All the other compressors have some high-end cut.

Serious question. So the subtle, tube-like warmth added by this effect is the sole result of compression?

Not sure about that. Maybe I overstated the note. The tube compressor is the only HD500X compressor that doesn't have high-end rolloff. It could still color the sound in other ways, perhaps adding some distortion.

I tested the compressors with a pink noise generator and spectrum analyzer on my iPad. That's probably not that accurate, but it was easy to see that all the compressors except the tube compressor had significant high-end rolloff. That might not be significant for electric guitar, but it is for acoustic instruments.

• Upvote 1

The LA2A tube comp is a staple studio piece and has typically been used when you don't want to hear obvious compression, as for vocals. Pedal compressors usually have a much more aggressive sound, to my ears. I used a Dyna Comp back in the day, but when I went to rack fx in the '80s, I switched to a Dbx 160x, which is much more transparent, and has the nice over easy, soft knee compression, like the tube comp in the pod hd. I generally prefer transparent, over-easy compression. I suggest placing it after the mixer section, and before any other fx.