Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Suggested EQ Settings For Maple Neck...?

DarkEdge

Now before you tell me to buy a maple necked guitar this is a serious question and am hoping for some help. I have a rosewood strat and am looking for eq setting ideas that would somewhat mimic a maple neck. Yes I know that the settings will not capture a maple sound, I'm just looking for ideas and/or best guesses.

If someone actually has a rosewood and maple neck guitar with a POD500, that would be way cool for your help.

Please don't throw things at me! :)

I don't think there's enough of a tonal difference between the two to worry about. I know some people will go on and on about maple being brighter, snappy, or whatever, but I think they're "listening with their eyes", so to speak. All other things being equal, the fretboard material probably has very limited effect on what's coming from the pickups. I personally like maple necks just because of the aesthetics and feel, but I don't think they add anything to the sound.

• Upvote 1

Not sure why anyone would open a question like this.  Bizarre.  There are way too many variables to say "EQ settings for maple?"  LOL!!!  Come on dude...turn a few knobs until you like what you hear.  One man's settings will NEVER translate to your rig.  Just dial s*** in.  

While my first reaction to the topic was, I admit, derision, it could be a legitimate question as to which EQ bands to boost or cut. The problem is I don't think anyone could answer you with much certainty. Maple is generally agreed to be brighter, so try boosting above 1-2K.

• Upvote 2

Look on Youtube, there're videos of people with oscilloscopes proving that there's no difference between wood types in guitar bodies and necks. I don't agree but when it comes down to the science of it, you've got no chance if people can prove the wood makes no difference.  

Under the amp deep editing settings there is a maple / rosewood neck switch and string gauge selector and what ever you do don't forget the right-handed, left-handed guitar switch as well. You have no chance of getting good tone unless you use these. :D

Joking aside, you'll need to fiddle with settings...no magic settings.

Best,

Rick

and what ever you do don't forget the right-handed, left-handed guitar switch as well. You have no chance of getting good tone unless you use these. :D

Tone is the least of your worries. I forgot to check that left handed/right handed switch once. Everything I played came out backwards, the Devil appeared...and it was a church gig. Old farts stroking out in the pews...total mess. They didn't ask us back...

lol. hahaha...though this was a legitimate request I have thoroughly enjoyed all of the answers. :)

Most interesting for me was the scope test proving no difference between maple and rosewood, though I don't buy that even for myself.

I don't believe in tonal differences in wood on an electric guitar either. My experience has been the electronics, especially tone pot capacitors are slightly different.  I've matched up electronics in completely different guitars and they sound the same.  But you have to match up ALL the electronics, not just pickups.

• Upvote 1

If what you're asking is "How can I make my darker-sounding guitar brighter?" then use an EQ at the very start of the chain (to simulate that the guitar itself was putting out a brighter sound).

You'd want something that will boost 1-2kHz and higher, like billlorentzen said above. I'd suggest a broad filter like the Studio EQ with its HI frequency set to 1500 or maybe 3000 Hz.

Also, beware jumping to conclusions about *why* a given instrument sounds different from others. If you're comparing two different guitars, there are a ton of variables changing at once when you compare them, so it's not possible to be sure exactly which variable is responsible for what change.

Maple neck andor fretboard sound EXACTLY the same as Rosewood

Any differences come sbout because they feel different, thus the player attacks playing them in a different manner and ...boom... Tonal differences

Over and over, it has been proven body 'Tonewoods', neck wood, fingerboard wood (note the string vibrates against the FRET not the fretboard) have zero effect on tone