Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

USB interface

Hi.

I just bought a used Variax 700 and now i want to do customized tunings so I need a USB interface to connect to Workbench, and they seem hard to come by at a resonable price....

Has any one tried to use a normal RJ45 to USB adapter such as

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ethernet-10-100-Mbps-Network-USB2-0-Adapter-Dongle-to-RJ45-Wired-LAN-WIN8-MAC-/191534966108

Naturally Line6 want to sell you their own stuff, but I cant understand why the would have developed a non standard adapter to do the really simple job of converting the signals..

The first generation USB device looks a bit hightec with flasching lights and circut boards, the later looks very generic..

I dont want do destroy my guitar or computer, so has anyone tried using a generic adapter?

Maybe I will get frustrated and curious/stupid enough to try myself....

That certainly won't work and could possibly damage the Variax (although I doubt that adapter actually sends power to the ethernet port). Even though the Variax uses RJ45 connectors and Cat5e cable, it's not ethernet. It's a proprietary protocol.

You need to find the Line6 Interface.  Nothing else will work.  It's USB on one side but it's Variax VDI on the other side which is not Ethernet.  That interface was originally sold with Workbench software for the Original Variax.  The JTV's come with the interface but the 300, 500, 600, 700 did not.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi ALL - I've just bought a pre-owned Variax 500 and I need the USB interface which did not come with the guitar since that model didn't come with the Workbench software when it was new. I've communicated with the guys at Line 6 in order to try and purchase one from them - NO LUCK and really, NOT very helpful; their only suggestion being that I buy a pre-owned POD in order to access the editing features on my beloved 500! Obviously, as discussed by some of you, this is an expensive option - how much for a cheap circuit board and a plastic box AND Workbench is now a free download from Line 6?!!! (Come on Line 6, this is lollipop!). Mm, obviously 'lollipop' is an automatically generated euphemism - you know what I mean - 'taking advantage' in British English! 

I am therefore appealing to those JTV owners who have the USB inferface which apparently, was included with their new purchases. Does anyone have one for sale at a 'reasonable price'? I live in the UK and I'm trying to track one down over here but I'm putting this 'out there'. If you can help me out, I'd really appreciate it!

Many thanks,

Hermes

Hi ALL - I've just bought a pre-owned Variax 500 and I need the USB interface which did not come with the guitar since that model didn't come with the Workbench software when it was new. I've communicated with the guys at Line 6 in order to try and purchase one from them - NO LUCK and really, NOT very helpful; their only suggestion being that I buy a pre-owned POD in order to access the editing features on my beloved 500! Obviously, as discussed by some of you, this is an expensive option - how much for a cheap circuit board and a plastic box AND Workbench is now a free download from Line 6?!!! (Come on Line 6, this is lollipop!). Mm, obviously 'lollipop' is an automatically generated euphemism - you know what I mean - 'taking advantage' in British English! 

I am therefore appealing to those JTV owners who have the USB inferface which apparently, was included with their new purchases. Does anyone have one for sale at a 'reasonable price'? I live in the UK and I'm trying to track one down over here but I'm putting this 'out there'. If you can help me out, I'd really appreciate it!

Many thanks,

Hermes

Have you checked eBay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Line-6-Variax-workbench-usb-interface-/222092160586?hash=item33b5b96e4a:g:UeAAAOSw1DtXFtbZ

Darn! I missed the ebay sale but thanks anyway leesteel - I'm still looking. On the same subject, would an FBV Shortboard perform the same function? Someone has one available on this side-of-the-pond (UK).

I appreciate all your help!

• 2 years later...

Hi - I'm interested in a Variax 500 but am not sure of what I'll need to connect it to the Workbench software.  I see the Variax cable is readily available for about $40.   I see Workbench with a USB adapter for about $100.   What I'm wondering is if the Line 6 99-065-0005 VDI Interface for JTV-69 will work.  This is about $35 from full compass systems.  It looks like the only other option is to use a POD Live pedal with the Variax port.  Are there any other ways of connecting the Variax 500 to the Workbench application?  USB aside, Is there any way of connecting to an amp other than through a POD Live or similar pedal?

Thanks! 

24 minutes ago, Dailydubya said:

It looks like the only other option is to use a POD Live pedal with the Variax port. 

This is a questionable configuration in 2018, but it used to work just fine. The biggest issue is incompatibility with newer versions of Windows, specifically Windows 10. A forum search will yield several posts which outline difficulties in making this combination work properly. 

• 1 month later...

You need a cheap solution to connect your Variax to a computer via USB, as others in this forum are trying to do. Get an older POD (those mentioned), or a Variax power supply and USB dongle. Buy used on flea-bay.

• 1 year later...

Guitar interface will only work for Live POD or directly to the computer.

The mod connector on the POD Beans are for FBV controllers only. They

are not guitar connections.

XT Live, X3 Live, yes, using the VDI connector.

XT and X3 Beans, no! Don't do that.

6 hours ago, phil_m said:

For what Variax? Generally, yes, it should work.

It's for a Variax 700. It came without the usb interface, but i do have a pod x3 (NOT the x3 live though, just the PodX3). So will that work as an VDI interface so I dont have to worry about finding the damn usb interface now?

Also, what workbench do i need for this? the only one i see available for download here is workbenchHD, but it was my understanding that i need Workbench (not HD) or maybe im confused. Sorry I'm new at this. Just got a used varix 700 in optimal condition and I'm trying to figure out what exactly i need to make it work fully. thanks!

" It's for a Variax 700. It came without the usb interface, but i do have a pod x3 (NOT the x3 live though, just the PodX3). So will that work as an VDI interface so I dont have to worry about finding the damn usb interface now? "--- No. can't do that with the POD Beans like the POD X3, only the Lives. The mod connector on the X3 would have "FBV Pedal" marked on it. Don't use that for anything other than an FBV Pedal. 

Use original Workbench, that is used for original Variax 300, 500, 600 and 700 (acoustic and electric) series guitars.

HD series is for JTV, Standard and Shurikens guitars.

1 hour ago, spaceboy68 said:

It's for a Variax 700. It came without the usb interface, but i do have a pod x3 (NOT the x3 live though, just the PodX3). So will that work as an VDI interface so I dont have to worry about finding the damn usb interface now?

Also, what workbench do i need for this? the only one i see available for download here is workbenchHD, but it was my understanding that i need Workbench (not HD) or maybe im confused. Sorry I'm new at this. Just got a used varix 700 in optimal condition and I'm trying to figure out what exactly i need to make it work fully. thanks!

Sorry, I misread your earlier post - I didn’t see the part where you said it wasn’t the “live” version. The X3 bean doesn’t have a VDI jack. The FBV jack and VDI jack are both RJ45 type jacks, but they’re not the same thing.

OOOOOK, what do you know... !!!

Well, problem solved, I hope:

I agreed on Reverb to purchase a mint, very shiny and clean, handsome looking Variax 700 for $425 but since it came with everything BUT the USB interface (and I only had the not-useful POD X3 Bean, as already established), I negotiated the price down to $335 which was pretty good I thought.

Also, while negotiating the very nice and surprisingly honest previous owner told me that those usb interfaces did not come with the Variax 700 at first, had to be bought separately (which is, of course, true), so he ended up also offering me his POD 500HD for the $99 I would have had to pay for the interface alone. I  looked everywhere and the cheapest one was at $170 on reverb and looked scratched and very dodgy, plus the variax 700 where all over 500 bucks with little to no cables (some at 700 bucks), etc and of course WITHOUT the usb interface. These 2, guitar and pod, looked MINT and had all cables, footswitch, power unit etc.

SO, after a thorough investigation and a ton of pictures from every angle back and forth, now I am the proud owner of a Line Variax 700 Cherry Sunburst (with whammy bar) and a POD 500HD both, in mint condition, apparently without a blem, scratch, or issue.

All this, obviously, remains to be seen, but I really felt the guy could be trusted after the patient answering of my million questions and the back and forths. Besides, since I am also protected by both reverb and paypal just in case of unpleasant surprises when the goodies arrive, I thought what the h e l l, right?

In my honest opinion the owner wasn't a money grabber, he seemed like a stand up guy from the start and not only knew his s h i t  thoroughly, but truly wanted to help, fact proven by the very fair deal we struck (i think). So all in all, I'm hopeful.

UPS should be knockin' on my door with a nice package in the very very near future ;)!!

meanwhile.... i'm downloading line 6 oldies galore... ;)

to be continued...

And by the way guys, THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR THE HELP AND AWESOME SUPPORT Y'ALL SO VERY QUICKLY BESTOWED UPON ME IN MY TIME OF NEED AND IGNORANCE. TRULY APPRECIATED

KICK A S S  FORUM, IF YOU ASK ME.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi newbie here!

Got a 300 electric guitar with power supply, but would ideally like to get the interface to edit some tunings. 

They’re as rare as rocking horse p@@ here in the uk. I don’t particularly want to get a pod as I’ll never use the guitar live, it’s purely for recording.

Anyone got a spare they don’t need that they’d like to sell please?

cheers

J

• 1 month later...

If anyone in the UK is looking for the USB interface for variax, workbench, then Bax music  have them in stock, £40 Inc post.

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/guitar-effects-replacement-parts/line-6-variax-vdu-usb-interface-for-line-6-variax

Best way, better data flow, less chance of interruption. Newer floor effects are not backwards compatible

with earlier Variax and Workbench.

A JTV with firmware v2.00 or higher should connect to Monkey and Workbench HD thru floor effects units.

Though more direct thru an interface goes more smoothly. Unplug any USB hubs when doing this. Check the

OS compatibility on the Downloads page on the Forum.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2020 at 6:39 AM, thornlv said:

If anyone in the UK is looking for the USB interface for variax, workbench, then Bax music  have them in stock, £40 Inc post.

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/guitar-effects-replacement-parts/line-6-variax-vdu-usb-interface-for-line-6-variax

That is a great price! Does anyone know of one available in the US from a retailer at that price? I would like one for my 700 Acoustic. 

• 2 months later...
45 minutes ago, Darragh said:

Gents,

Can the variax usb interface be used for sound recording on a variax 700 or is it just useful for editing tunings & settings?

The little external VDI interface just passes data. It doesn't pass power or audio. So, no.