Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hi All ! Newbie here. Best firmware for 12 & 6 string models?

I am new to all of this and not really liking the firmware 2.0 for acoustics any suggestions would be appreciated. I have read that some of you prefer the 1.7 or 1.9 for acoustic tones. I know it is very subjective but would like to hear your opinions. How do I access 1.7 to hear the acoustics? 

Thank you,

dc

After downloading, use the Workbench interface (or a VDI-equipped Pod device) to connect your Variax to your computer. Then run Line 6 Monkey, select your Variax as the device, and choose Install From File to apply the firmware update using the downloaded firmware file.

Note: this will overwrite all your current v2.0 models, including anything you've customized. Use Workbench to back up any models you want to keep if you choose to update to v2.0 again in the future.

Also, you may need the older version of Workbench for some of the older firmwares, I forget what the cutoff is.

1.9 is old workbench. 2.0 and above is HD workbench.

OP: Give 1.7 a try and see if you like the acoustics more. If you don't but you like the electrics more, switch to 1.9. 

Old firmware will sound different, and some prefer it, but a lot of the presence/high end will be missing that the HD firmware has.

Some think the Strat is too nasally, part of me agrees, but part of me also says it sounds damn close when comparing it to the magnetics on my 69s. The Les Paul and 335 models sound less muddy on the HD imo. 

The only thing I kind of have a problem with the HD is that the attack kind of has this subtle volume drop right after you pick. It might be to try to make the Variax more dynamic, but I think it makes the Variax sound a bit less authentic, but it's barely noticeable when you run it through amps.