Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

ANY ALTERNATIVE POWER SUPPLY FOR HD500?

edstar1960

Medical grade just means $$.  They have to be tested for leakage to ground and other things.  You do not need Medical Grade for a Pod.

The link that spaceatl shared above shows a medical grade PSU for just $14.80. The Line 6 DC-3G is $40. So in this case at least it seems to be the other way around.

@edstar1960 - I am wondering if you being in the UK on 240 might be running your PSU near the top of its input range could be contributing to the heat....Only thing I could think of that might be different for you and me...I have been running mine on regulated 120v...

I also use a JTV connected via VDI to my HD500.  It occurred to me that's the reason why the HD500 needs to have a 3A power supply - it has to be capable of powering a variax as well.  I wonder if that also contributes to the extra heat - more power being drawn from the supply by both the HD500 and the JTV.

The Line 6 DC-3g power supply says it's 9V and 3A and the connector has a negative centre.   The specs can be found here: http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/general-faq/power-supply-amp-power-and-battery-faq-r445

Specifically: DC-3g: (POD HD 300/400/500 and HD Bean): 9V DC, 3A (3000mA) Plug length: 15mm, Diameter: 5mm, Center Pin: 2mm.

Well I just purchased and received this

6 ft 2.1mm x 5.5mm DC Plug Extension Cable for Power Adapter, 20AWG

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FTH6WNS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It DOESN"T fit. It seems like 2.1mm is too small. Anyone have any experience with this? The power supply fits on the female end of this adapter but the male end's center pin hole is too small for the unit. Which doesn't make sense given Line 6's dimension of 2mm. If anything it should be a little loose. Is there a 2.5mm available? Has anyone tried it and does it fit?

I lug my HD500 out every weekend for 4 years and I'm on my 3rd power supply. I found a third party one on amazon that worked for awhile then crapped out. I'd recommend OEM if you can find it cheap. 

Having said that here's an alternative for $30 
http://www.amazon.com/UpBright%C2%AE-Power-Supply-Adapter-Charger/dp/B00KBFW4XA/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1427344866&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=line6+DC-3g+power+supply

I lug my HD500 out every weekend for 4 years and I'm on my 3rd power supply. I found a third party one on amazon that worked for awhile then crapped out. I'd recommend OEM if you can find it cheap. 

Having said that here's an alternative for $30 

http://www.amazon.com/UpBright%C2%AE-Power-Supply-Adapter-Charger/dp/B00KBFW4XA/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1427344866&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=line6+DC-3g+power+supply

Thanks for the info.

Just out of interest - did your power supplies just fail for some reason or did they fall apart on their own or did they get broken because someone trod on them or some equipment fell on them - or some other reason?

Just would like to know if they failed due to being fragile or due to cheap internal electrical components that don't last.

Thanks.

So I recently purchased a power cable extender and right angle adapter using the parameters supplied by Line 6. THEY ARE WRONG!!!!!! The pin is stated to be 2mm. IT IS NOT!!!. I purchased an adapter that was 2.1mm and it should have fit with room to spare but it doesn't. I just got an adapter with a pin of 2.5mm. That works. So BE CAREFUL!!!

What I am specifically refering to is the pin in the HD500 itself. The power supply does fit into the extender and right angle adapter but neither of those will fit into the HD500 (or 500X)

I reiterate.

THE LINE 6 POWER SUPPLY PARAMETERS ARE WRONG. THE PIN IS 2.5 MM NOT 2.0 MM.

LINE 6....YOU OWE ME $20!!!! ;)

I generally have gone with Medical Grade 9VDC Supplies for pedal boards and such....They generally have a nice wide input range and are well regulated (Better than any OEM supply)...

HD being 9VDC makes this pretty simple...I have two supplies at the moment, but I will go with a 4A medical when the time comes...

http://www.trcelectronics.com/View/Mean-Well/GSM36B09-P1J.shtml

THE LINE 6 PARAMETERS ARE WRONG. THIS WON'T FIT. The pin is too small. You need one with a 2.5 mm pin.

So since the plug parameters are wrong (DOOOHHHH!!!) I can only find a power supply that's 12 volts and 6.7 amps.  I know I can use a power supply that can provide more amps than the HD500's power supply. Does the same apply in regard to volts? Can I use a 12 volt power supply for something that only needs 9 volts?

I know I can use a power supply that can provide more amps than the HD500's power supply. Does the same apply in regard to volts? Can I use a 12 volt power supply for something that only needs 9 volts?

I'm no electrician, but it seems like a rather risky $500 bet. If it never mattered, then why bother putting the specs on there? Everything would have the same power supply.

So since the plug parameters are wrong (DOOOHHHH!!!) I can only find a power supply that's 12 volts and 6.7 amps.  I know I can use a power supply that can provide more amps than the HD500's power supply. Does the same apply in regard to volts? Can I use a 12 volt power supply for something that only needs 9 volts?

No. The only feasible way would be to take the output of the 12 volt supply and make it 9 volts with externally added circuitry. The pod wouldn't be very happy with 12 volts.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I tried to buy a replacement as I hate the way the official one falls apart so easily. It may be the same one linked above, I can't remember. But be warned mine came with an adaptor to go from 2.1 to 2.5mm and also reversed the polarity of the psu so it was correct for the pod. Not what I had in mind as this adapted can also unattach itself easily. It also wasn't the full spec current wise. It does work though.

• 5 months later...

Like "bjnette" said, look at back of your pod supply, you should see  voltage, amps and polarity (normal is centered). 

For example, if your power suply have 12 volts and 2,7 amps. You don´t have any problem buy one with more amps, like 12 volts and 3 amps, only don´t buy with less amps.

What If the device says  9v and the adapter I have is 12 v ? The amps match though.

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased a used HD500X, and having received it with the incorrect power supply (a PX-2g for which I got a credit back), I looked around for a cheaper suitable replacement. Didn't find one that I felt good about, and didn't want to have any issues with my POD, so I bit the bullet and picked up the correct Line 6 PS locally.

My Boss ME70 goes out to work with me 9-10 times for this reason.I can power the Boss with one of prolly 20 9'volt One Spot adapters I have piles of.

If the HD500 gets broken or croaks at a gig I am " Lollipopped".Possibly even "Fudgesicled".

The power supply thing with the HD is like Apples proprietary cable "Lolly Gagging" .

Its all a big Cluster Lollipoop poopy doopy dooper.

So I use what will make me my money without having to have stupid expensive extra Lolli-n-pop Line 6 power supplies with me .

• 7 months later...

Here's the thing with power supplies: volts and polarity have to match; amps can be slightly over. Electronic devices only draw the amps they require... so plugging a 5000mA power block into a 3000mA unit won't harm it. However, a 2000mA power supply won't provide enough current for the device to work properly.

Running a 12V supply into a 9V unit is potentially harmful... it can overpower the device and blow components/circuits.

With AC, polarity isn't an issue... but with DC, polarity has to match or the device won't work, and components/circuits could potentially be damaged.

The HD500 power supply converts 120V or 240V AC to 9V DC with centre pin + polarity, while supplying 3000mA.

So a 9V, 5000mA centre pin + power supply would work just as well.

We aren't talking about the price difference between a $12,000 Gibson and a $800 Gibson. 

We are talking about a $25 device. 

I mean, sure, the Pod isn't going to know where the power is coming from. But think about it - if someone is so "beginner" that they need to come here asking if a device will work, or if they need an explanation as to how power supplies work... they shouldn't be buying anything other than the official device.

• 9 months later...

Hi,

For all of you wondering or guessing what the actual current draw is of the different new Line 6 product is I have attached a few pictures showing the actual measurement of 4 different setups.

• POD HD500X: max. 1.1A = 1100mA
  • POD HD500X + FBV3: max. 1.3A = 1300mA
  • Firehawk FX: max. 0.8A = 800mA
  • HX Effects: max. 1.1A = 1100mA

I'm waiting to get my hands on the HD Stomp to also be able to publish the actual measured current draw of that unit.

All the above can be safely and correctly powered of two outlets of the new CIOKS DC7 power supply where each outlet has a rating of 660mA at 9V DC. Using two outlets in a parallel configuration gives you a 1320mA or 1.3A source at 9V DC which is sufficient. To get the plug polarity and size right you should use the #8800 Parallel adapter Flex followed by the yellow #3050 Flex cable with a 5.5/2.5 centre negative DC plug. When two of DC7's outlets are used to power one of the above the Line 6 units you still have 5 isolated outlets for pedals left each with a 660mA current rating plus a 5V USB outlet at 1A and a 24V auxiliary outlet to expand the DC7 with CIOKS 4 or CIOKS 8 to add more isolated outlets if desired.

L1080550.JPG

L1080552.JPG

L1080558.JPG

DC7 powering HX Effects with green reversed Flex.jpg

• 2 months later...

Possibly you might be right. But With the old DL4 and other from the same range Line 6 stated 1200mA at 9V AC and that figure had nothing at all to do with the actual current consumption. It was just the figure that was stated on the original adapter. And the DL4 was not able to power anything else than itself.

On 1/8/2018 at 7:10 AM, pianoguyy said:

We aren't talking about the price difference between a $12,000 Gibson and a $800 Gibson. 

We are talking about a $25 device. 

I mean, sure, the Pod isn't going to know where the power is coming from. But think about it - if someone is so "beginner" that they need to come here asking if a device will work, or if they need an explanation as to how power supplies work... they shouldn't be buying anything other than the official device.

• 2 months later...

Keep us posted if that power supply does work. I'm getting ready to mount the POD on a pedalboard and that power supply from Amazon would be much easier to conceal underneath.

I haven't watch Poul Ciok's videos yet but does he just test them while they're simply turned on or does he do any real load testing? I wonder how much current draw would come from full use of all set lists, dual amp patches, and many effects on each patch?

On 1/7/2018 at 8:44 PM, VAX700 said:

With AC, polarity isn't an issue... but with DC, polarity has to match or the device won't work, and components/circuits could potentially be damaged.

The HD500 power supply converts 120V or 240V AC to 9V DC with centre pin + polarity, while supplying 3000mA.

So a 9V, 5000mA centre pin + power supply would work just as well.

While VAX700 was correct about DC polarity being critical,

he was incorrect about HD500, which (2.5mm) center pin requires negative 9VDC..