Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Worn out switches on longboard?

rjack2384

Hey new to this forum hope someone can help...

I have a Longboard foot controller. My channel one switch is wearing out. I want to be able to change it out for one of the other switches on my board that I don't use. 

My question is: is there any soldering involved on replacing these switches, or is it as simple as using a crescent wrench?

Any help will be appreciated.

I've been searching for a solution but not having much luck.  It looks like the switches might just push down on an actual switch underneatch.  If that's the case they could probably be replaced with no soldering required.

I opened it up last night. The actual switch is soldered in, however I there is a website that sells Line 6 parts that has the top of the switch with a small spring. It's only a few bucks so I may go ahead and buy it and see if I can replace it myself.  I have a shortboard controller with a backup amp I may have to program my shortboard with my current settings on my Vetta. I can't find any longboard info on the line 6 site, but the shortboard info is there.  

I'm pretty sure you'd find any switch in any amp or contorller to be soldered in some fashion either the wires to it or it will be soldered to a circuit board.

Soldering isn't hard to do or at all complicated all you need is a good soldering iron, for something like this a 30 watt or so iron should suffice, maybe a solder sucker to help get the old solder gone and of course some solder wire.

Ideal for electronics is 63% tin /37% lead resin core solder wire. Don't use acid core solder like you're apt to find in a plumbing section of the hardware store as it will corrode and ruin whatever you solder too. For electronics you want resin flux only, it's actually pine tree sap and is only acitic when it's hot. Once it's cool it's neutral PH. 

You should be able to find exact replacement switches on any electronics supply house website like Newark or DigiKey. It just takes a little looking. First look on the old switch for a manufacturer and manufacturer part number. That will make the parts search much much easier. Failing that measure one of the old switches carefully for it's dimentions. .   

I opened it up last night. The actual switch is soldered in, however I there is a website that sells Line 6 parts that has the top of the switch with a small spring. It's only a few bucks so I may go ahead and buy it and see if I can replace it myself.  I have a shortboard controller with a backup amp I may have to program my shortboard with my current settings on my Vetta. I can't find any longboard info on the line 6 site, but the shortboard info is there.  

The actual switch soldered to the board is not your problem.  What happens is the spring gets compressed over time and doesn't exert enough force on the switch.  Just take the spring and stretch it out a bit, not too much, and I bet it works just fine.  I used to have to do this on my longboard.  You can replace the spring if you want but the rest of the physical switch probably is just fine.  Give it a shot, it's free...

Check my previous posts on this...

http://line6.com/support/topic/4487-footswitch-replacement-for-the-500/?do=findComment&comment=29367