Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Acoustic guitar / how do you get a good tone thru an amp?

wilson69978

Hi folks. One of the things that drew me to the Jtv guitar was the acoustic instruments.

I am trying to get a good tone thru my amp. I made a preset using no amp model.

The signal flow is ... A mic pre, to a short delay, and a bit of reverb.

I am looking for a natural sound.

My amp is a fender super champ x2. Head only . The amp is 18 watts.

My cab is home made , it holds a 12 inch Celestion G12 vintage 30 speaker.

Cab is open backed.

The amp is 2 channel and has modelling, but I am using the clean champ model on channel 1

1. I have the amp volume on 5 and bass and treble settings on 5 as well.

Are these reasonable amp settings or not?

2. I was thinking a little eq in the signal flow might help. Would that be best between the mic pre and the delay?

By the way ... I am using the COMBO FRONT setting on pg 4 of Set up on the pod hd 500x.

Thanks for your thoughts people.

Unfortunately the short answer is, you won't...at least not without considerable amount of time (and probably more than a little luck) experimenting with a lot of EQ. Someone on here has links to some acoustic patches through one of the DT amps that he had success with, but I don't remember who it was. Perhaps he'll chime in. But with a different amp and cab, those are still likely to need some tweaking...may be a good place to start though.

To really take advantage of the acoustic models you need an FRFR speaker. Traditional guitar amps have a rather narrow frequency response that will not do an acoustic justice, no matter what you do. If you were to plug a genuine acoustic electric into your amp, you're likely to experience much the same thing. It will end up sounding more like a clean electric than an acoustic.

I have found that it is nearly impossible to get a good acoustic guitar sound out of an electric guitar amp. There is just way to much shaping of the signal in a guitar amp when you really want something full range and flat response. You can tweak until you can get something that you might be able to live with but if you want it to sound like an acoustic guitar you will probably need a separate amp. I tried this for a while and used a JBL EON for acoustic for a many years and have recently switched to a Line6 L2m speaker in the Dream Rig configuration with the HD500 and JTV guitar.

-Max

I don't own a JTV, so I can't help you there. 

But I wanted to say: 

I have never gotten a good acoustic tone through an amp. I have always had them mic'd and straight to the PA. I didn't like the PA sound either, but at least I didn't have to hear that when onstage. 

Thanks cruisin on and max: I figured there was gonna be no easy answer, I will tinker away. I have heard the L2m speakers are amazing

But they are not in the cards for me right now.

There are other options out there that won't set you back as much $$ as the Stagesource stuff...there are a number of other guys on here running other FRFR set-ups with good results.

• Upvote 1

I run direct to the board but I also have used a small Behringer Keyboard Amp in the past for stage monitoring and rehearsal.  Standard guitar amps have a very focused eq, which doesn't do well with non electric guitar sounds.  But there has been a the explosion of acoustic (only) guitar amps.  The nice thing about the FRFR approach is that everything, Electric Pickups, Acoustic Guitars and Variax emulations all sound good.

• Upvote 1

I agree with everyone here.  You can not get good acoustic sounds through a standard guitar amp.  With a 1 way speaker system, they roll off at about 6KHz which will remove all of the high frequency from the acoustic.  You need a full range speaker system to reproduce the acoustic guitar sound.  Keyboard and Acoustic amps tend to have a full range speaker system as does a good PA.  I went the PA speaker route for my home playing since I like to play the acoustic models - and my real acoustic guitar amplified.  I use no amp model in my HD500x and go into my powered speaker in Studio Direct mode.

• Upvote 1