Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

g30 updates

spawn2031

Hi guys, I am shopping around for a wireless system and am a big L6 fan but as I have been browsing through the posts here I am seeing a disturbing issue with the g30s.  It appears that the firmware you get with it is what you are stuck with unless you have an XD-V75 as well which I most certainly wouldn't.. I'm a guitar player.  So am I correct in assuming that if I get one with the wrong firmware installed (which I am reading happens a decent amount) or if L6 puts out another update for it I have to send it in to get it updated?

are you buying online or from a distributor? based from my experience, here's what you should do:

- first, buy from a distributor that can support hardware issues on site (perform firmware upgrades, replace units, etc)

- while buying, check the unit for drop outs. if it does, ask for another unit immediately while in the store

- if the good unit comes with an old firmware, ask them to upgrade it for you. it may take an hour or 2 or they may ask you to return later. at least it saves you another trip to the store

that should save you the hassle of going back and forth with the store and line 6 support. that's what they would tell you anyway - replace the unit, update the firmware, etc.

Yeah that's what I was afraid y'all were gonna say.  I live about 1.5 hrs away from the nearest dealer.  I honestly think that is the most retarded thing I have heard in my life.  Sell a digital item with upgradeable firmware that you can only upgrade if you have another $500 unit.  I think that is literally the first device that I am aware of that functions like that.  Poor thought process on this one, I will be looking elsewhere for my wireless device then.

• 2 weeks later...

I am very happy with my G30s and I received excellent service from Line 6. I have to say, the most important thing is that it works well and I can only report the best there. The sound is excellent and the G30 system never failed me.

The only issue I had with firmware was with the oldest first generation model. I had interferences with my wireless network at home and I could not update the transmitter's firmware. But as I said, Line 6 provided me with a replacement at no charge (thanks Line 6) and since then all works like a charm and with the more recent firmware there is no more any noticeable interference with the wireless. BTW, that interference did not impede the G30 but made weak signal computer connections entirely unusable. When I rehearsed, my wife couldn't get on the internet anymore from her corner of the apartment.

Moreover, if you get a new G30 system these days, I am pretty sure there is no issue with the firmware and all works right out of the box. That was at least the case with my 2nd system I bought. And in case you really do need a firmware update, it can be done at any good store and is a only "once in a lifetime" thing rather than anything else. I find it rather good that you can update the firmware, even of the transmitters. All in all, I can only say the G30 is an excellent wireless system, which I can only recommend. As I said, works reliably and the sound is excellent.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I recently pirchased a 2nd G30 system with the idea that I'd have a transmitter for both of my guitars on stage. Then I'd have a backup receiver unit, or one to leave hooked up at the practice spot. However, it seems that my new system is not compatible with the old one, so my new transmiiter is not recognized by the old receiver unit.

What are my options to solve this problem?