Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New Line 6 wireless device

Mainframemac

The info about the new devices are all over the front page of the website (well the bottom) - linking to the dedicated page: http://line6.com/relay-g70-g75/

The teaser however is the picture at the top of that page which clearly says "VARIAX+" on the wireless receiver - unfortunately that is the only place where variax appears, so none of us think that it is the oft requested Wireless VDI.

The manual is available in the support section. It would appear that is just a scene name as the unit support multiple insturments via the same receiver. No meantion in the manual of any "Variax" specific funitonality.

Thanks for the replies, sure would be nice to have my variax set up go wireless but I guess electronically that would be a tall order.

But hey, you never know maybe they can hit one out of the park next time. Maybe the next variax and pod will have bluetooth and talk to each other that way, (guess I am dreaming with my keyboard again)

i think it could be done....

but you'd be devoting an awful lot of resources for a product that only a percentage of variax users would buy....

the more variax catches on.... the more likely this is to happen... in my opinion.

i think it could be done....

but you'd be devoting an awful lot of resources for a product that only a percentage of variax users would buy....

the more variax catches on.... the more likely this is to happen... in my opinion.

I don't own a Variax, so I can't speak on what all is involved with them. But I can't see it being too hard to do. 

My car radio now receives more information than just radio signals. So, the technology to send and receive code is already available. 

The other consideration is power. The VDI connection powers the Variax, so if everything went wireless with no VDI I expect that could create additional power drain on the battery. So, until we invent wireless power transmission or longer-life batteries perhaps the cost/benefit of wireless vs. shorter battery life just isn't there.

The Variax could run on it's own battery. .....

The JTV actually has a good battery that will last quite a long time. .....

Yes, it would have to run by battery without the VDI. And yes, it currently lasts a relatively long time. What's unknown is the additional power demand that will be placed on the battery as a result of the 2-way wireless digital data processing. Currently that's not an issue because the required power is provided externally through VDI. However, if that demand is significant, without the VDI the battery life could drop dramatically.

Yes, it would have to run by battery without the VDI. And yes, it currently lasts a relatively long time. What's unknown is the additional power demand that will be placed on the battery as a result of the 2-way wireless digital data processing. Currently that's not an issue because the required power is provided externally through VDI. However, if that demand is significant, without the VDI the battery life could drop dramatically.

With the VDI it's not using the battery at all. It advertises as lasting 12 hours running all on it's own.

Here's some info on going wireless with a Vetta and Variax.

http://www.vettaville.nl/page.php?id=92#402

Just to give you an idea of all that would be entailed in this. A big factor is your wireless box would have to both transmit and receive which would require more power (less battey life) and more weight and bulk.

Yea I could see that though.  I kind of assume the transmitter box hook into the VDI port. But then the JTV would expect battery power and that could kill the battery on the communicator device quickly.  I supposed it could be reprogrammed to use both battery's together but yea I suppose that could be an obstacle to making some thing like that work.  Although not currenlty part of the JTV platform wonder if an future Variax could ultilize a bluetooth type of wireless to accomplish a similar thing as we do with phones and computers everyday.

It'd require two channels of audio—Variax models with embedded downstream data and Variax mags—plus a third channel for upstream data. Not impossible, but we wouldn't use anything but our best radios, so imagine the cost and complexity of managing three G70/75/90 radios in the same box and you're not far off.

Variax battery life wouldn't be affected, as any belt pack Tx/data Rx would more than likely run on its own battery.

Doubt there are more than a handful of people on the planet who want wireless VDI more than I do.

Will say, however, that G70/75 are ridiculously cool boxes. They do a ton of cool things no other wireless system does. Sub-1.5 ms latency is worth the price of admission alone, IMHO.

• Upvote 1

DI my friend, i blieve all us jtv owners DO desperately want this ..vireless VDI...
why not condider/market is a the 4th component of the new dream rig 2015? :)

ps
assuming that the mags audio is AD converted in2 the jtv, u need one TX channel (digital model+mags converted digital audio) plus one RX channel ( variax command setting from the hd), total two channels. technically speaking, this {theoretically} can b achieved by using bandwith of existing "audio" channel, since digital data r zeroes+ones, but of course, I don't know the exact /actual specs, so i'll quite happily be wrong...

post-1403107-0-74946600-1427378185_thumb.png

I think the target for the moment is a reliable low latency digital stereo (two audio channel) two-way wireless link that can carry MIDI as well.  

Wireless VDI is just a subset of what it could do - it could also cover VDI + stereo IEM, or any Mixer to Musician point (digital snake covering inputs and monitors) - multiples instances for a band, or mixer to mains.

Image the M20W where all inputs and outputs are wireless digital... no cable runs other than power more than a few feet!

..... no cable runs other than power more than a few feet!

Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose? As a player, if I'm going to be tethered I really don't care whether the tether carries just power or all the other information currently carried by the VDI cable. A tether is a tether. And the shorter it is, the less range I have to move around while playing.

Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose? As a player, if I'm going to be tethered I really don't care whether the tether carries just power or all the other information currently carried by the VDI cable. A tether is a tether. And the shorter it is, the less range I have to move around while playing.

I think you've misunderstood his post. He's not saying you'd want a mains cable for your guitar, he's talking about a full wireless PA. You'd just plug each active speaker into a power socket and point it in the right direction and away you go.

• 5 months later...