Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Part 2 of my POD HD500X Demonstration Video now uploaded

PeterJH

Hi everyone,

Just to let you know that I've uploaded my second video in the series on the POD HD500X.

I've shared the way that I create my own patches along with some info as to how I eq my tones to fit into a mix and not get lost.

It is a fairly detailed video which I hope will be useful in fine tuning your own patches.

I ended off the video by playing two very short clips of two of the patches created in the video to show how nicely they fit into a mix.

I must stress however that this is the way that I do this. I'm not saying that this is the right or wrong way to do it. It works for me and it might just work for you too.

I will be updating my website in the very near future with a few new patches. This video did take some time to produce so I will get around to that asap. Please bear with me.

Hope you enjoy,

Cheers,

Peter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ9v7SCCt_c&feature=youtu.be

• Upvote 12

Whoa! That was an awesome video Peter. Not only do you know what you are doing, you can explain it in an easy to understand manner. So refreshing, because often you are still scratching your head after some of these online videos. Thank so very much for your excellent video.

It is a fairly detailed video which I hope will be useful in fine tuning your own patches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ9v7SCCt_c&feature=youtu.be

Your video tips are "Top Notch" Pete!! Very Very Good. I've been doing something like this "Frq Cut" for a while now but you've brought me out of the "fog" so to speak, lol. Good Go'in and Thanks

Cheers!

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

I'm glad they are helping.

The POD can be a very, very powerful tool when used correctly.

I normally use the POD to create "scratch" tracks for my recordings and then replace them when I mic up my amp etc. I recently recorded a track using my Strat and the POD thinking that I'll replace the parts at some stage but when it came to actually micing up the amp etc, the Strat sounded better with the POD than the real thing.

I was blown away.

I did put the clip up on Soundcloud and it is in a thread on the forum but if anyone wants to hear what this unit is capable of then please, go and listen to this track. I think that this proves that modelling has definitely come of age.

https://soundcloud.com/peter-john-hanmer/the-long-road-home

Cheers,

Peter.

• Upvote 3

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

I'm glad they are helping.

I'm blown away with how powerful the HD500 is too. I really have a-lot of fun learning with it and now I/we got some more knowledge to work with, thanks to your Pro video.

I always thought that maybe that "Fizz" that many have talked about could be "cut" with this method.

Thanks for another excellent video Peter. Lots of useful info in there.

The tip for reducing the harshness at around 3k with the parametric EQ has really helped me refine my patches. The harshness is now gone and now my tones sound smooth and crunchy! Thank you so much for sharing that!

Very well done! Line 6 promised series videos that never really became a series. Thanx for taking the time to do this. I would love to see the same type of video series for the complete dream rig. Imagine a video series that went into detail on the various guitar models, how to adjust those perameters and pair that Variax model with a properly tuned patch on the Pod HD AND how best to set up your DT topology and class so that it all works in concert to achieve a classic rock tone, for example, that you can take and use on a gig!

With all that is available on the internets about how to get tones on your Pod, there's virtually no videos that talk about using the Pod in a live setting let alone The Dream Rig.

outstanding Peter! thanks for showing how to really use the EQ to dial in a tone.  I totally agree on the low cut too, use it all the time.  Now I have to revisit some of my tones to apply what you just showed me!  Looking forward to the rest of the series...

PS - 

I have tended to think of and use EQ as another tone stack, to shape the tone like with a hifi.  I knew about the techniques you showed, read about that somewhere or saw it in a video on recording but hadn't really seen it applied to the POD like that.  I can see where EQ is now also a tone CORRECTION tool.  I just tried building the Treadplate patch you showed and  I never would have found that annoying frequency without what you showed.  The final tone is not so much DIFFERENT with the EQ as it is BETTER with the EQ...  

Still so much to learn...   :)

• Upvote 1

outstanding Peter! thanks for showing how to really use the EQ to dial in a tone.  I totally agree on the low cut too, use it all the time.  Now I have to revisit some of my tones to apply what you just showed me!  Looking forward to the rest of the series...

PS - 

I have tended to think of and use EQ as another tone stack, to shape the tone like with a hifi.  I knew about the techniques you showed, read about that somewhere or saw it in a video on recording but hadn't really seen it applied to the POD like that.  I can see where EQ is now also a tone CORRECTION tool.  I just tried building the Treadplate patch you showed and  I never would have found that annoying frequency without what you showed.  The final tone is not so much DIFFERENT with the EQ as it is BETTER with the EQ...  

Still so much to learn...   :)

"I can see where EQ is now also a tone CORRECTION tool."

Peter, thank you Sir!. 

I downloaded your patches and they sound great.   Using EQ verses DEP parameters seems to be quite effective at shaping tones.  

​Many posts on this forum about tweaking DEP settings, which you seem to have left at default or noon on most settings in your patches.  Not many posts about using EQ, at least not as effective and succinctly as you have done and (even better) shown in your patches.  From brief trial, EQ seems to better define or CORRECT a tone than DEP settings.  Or can DEP be used to make it even better?  How?  

Very cool to bring this into the discussion and look forward to experimenting as you have shown.  Now will possibly be more aware of and know how to correct stray annoying frequencies. 

Another thread on this forum asked about patches to make a base setlist for different genres.  Think your patches could be a good start to such a list.

Thanks again.  Indeed a lot to learn.  But man it is only getting better and better.  Love my rig.

Thanks so much to everyone who has commented. I'm thrilled that this has been helpful.

After all even if it helps 10% in getting a better tone it's well worth the effort.

I do believe that you can improve things by editing the DEP settings but that will probably get you another 5 - 10% improvement. If the frequency response of your patches contain harsh areas however, no amount of tweaking DEP settings will get you there.

I believe that getting the basic, workable tone is vital before you start going into the finer details.

Cheers,

Peter.

• Upvote 1

Peter...

What can I say brother...
I've learned more with your videos than months of looking around You Tube and doing it by myself
Line 6 should look into this and make it a oficial POD starting point in getting great tones videos...
Just seeing how you use the parametric EQ on that video I'm getting even better tones...!

thanks for taking the time in doing this...

regards,

Charles

PS: Still using your patches and they work like a charm

Thanks so much to everyone who has commented. I'm thrilled that this has been helpful.

After all even if it helps 10% in getting a better tone it's well worth the effort.

Hey Peter, I've been creating patches on the fly for a long time now and now that you've blew the fog off the Para Q I'm creating so many new patches and just using the EQ's to manipulate my patch using the foot switch's, lol. It's awesome!! I'm mixing some new tracks already.

Also, I've got the EHX Tube EQ and run that after the HD500 output and into a Beat Buddy and out into the front of my Spider Jam using the Green Clean amp and recording that way. Your explanation opens up a new can of worms, LOL, the tasty ones. :)

I haven't tried your patches yet but I will eventually.

Cheers!

Tube%20EQ.jpg?psid=1

I'm really glad that this latest video has been such a help in "tailoring" your tones.

My way of working with a parametric eq also helps "train" your ears in hearing the frequencies that you want to remove. I'm a firm believer that taking away in a eq is always better then boosting frequencies.

It's always a good thing if you can achieve what you want by removing an unwanted freq instead of having to boost a whole lot of other freq.

Thanks again for all the comments.

Cheers.

• Upvote 1

Very nice vid. As an engineer I appreciate your use of studio EQ techniques.

Personally, I haven't had to use EQs much. I prefer cab and mic selection plus tone controls on amp and pedals, but part of that is from disliking the % approach L6 lazied out with.

You can place the looper at the front of the patch and play a short loop, then tweak settings with hands free. Just watch out not to let it play too long or ear fatigue starts to reduce your discrimination.

Very nice vid. As an engineer I appreciate your use of studio EQ techniques.

Personally, I haven't had to use EQs much. I prefer cab and mic selection plus tone controls on amp and pedals, but part of that is from disliking the % approach L6 lazied out with.

You can place the looper at the front of the patch and play a short loop, then tweak settings with hands free. Just watch out not to let it play too long or ear fatigue starts to reduce your discrimination.          

Thanks, Bill, as I said in the video. The way I do things won't work for everyone. It's great that you're able to create your patches without having to resort to using eq.

I also found the percentages very strange at first but once you start equing using your ears and not go by numbers it becomes irrelevant whether the values are in percentages or dBs.

Cheers.

• Upvote 1