Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod HD Pro X SPDIF Clock Source

bbdude

Hello all. I am a new owner of a Pod HD Pro X. I intend to use this for recording, using my RME Fireface UFX. I have the balanced stereo outputs connected to 2 input analog channels on my UFX. Initially I also have the Pod Dry (unbalanced) output also connected to a UFX analog input. I am interested in using the Pod SPDIF or AES/EBU to get the dry signal to my UFX. My UFX supports these I/O as well. I have a number of other things connected to my UFX, including another 8 I/O channels via ADAT. I believe I will have to keep my UFX as the clocking master, since it needs to be the clocking master for the ADAT. Can I still use the SPDIF input from the Pod if the UFX is clocking master? Also, is there any advantage to using SPDIF vs. AES/EBU (the Pod and the UFX have bothe types of interface)?

I guess the best way to know would be to actually try it. Unless you want to find out first in the case of not having some of the necessary cables.

I use the hd500x's spdif output to a coaxial-to-optical converter, then to a discrete computer sound card, and finally into Reaper. For this setup, I've never had to mess with or worry about clocking masters. I just set the output sample rate of the pod's system menu to 48KHz. It's a very simple setup that works with no unnecessary middle-man devices. Less actual physical devices for me means more focus on music. However, it looks like you have a bit more complicated setup.

An advantage of spdif vs aes/ebu? Not absolutely sure, but my guess would be no advantage to either. They both transmit the same data, but the methods are different. Also, I remember reading somewhere that spdif if the "consumer" version of aes/ebu.

Technically the format that S/PDIF and AES use the same, there's a data byte that tells the device of the different formats. The main thing is that being XLR, AES uses a balanced line, which is good for long cable runs, but not really necessary in a small studio. It's a good idea to use a 75 Ohm cable rather than some cheap one though.

I use SPDIF into an RME UFX and have to set the HD500 as the master. AES and SPDIF are basicly identical in format but the voltage levels are different. The RME can be set to listen to either SPDIF (consumer) or AES (professional) levels. The RME manual has a section (page 43) on how to build the conversion cable between the two. Basically get a normal shielded 2-conductor mic cable and connect it like this:

+ XLR -> phono center

- XLR -> phono shield

XLR shield -> no connect

Works great for me, but I don't have to share clocks like you do. I believe the HD500 has to be the master but the RME cleans it up before sending it to the ADAT.