Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I have seen the light

spawn2031

Ok, so I unfortunately did not do my homework before buying my 500x and wanted to use it with my Marshall 4x12 cab.  The tones that I was getting out of it were acceptable until I ran it through a PA tonight.  The 500x was miraculous and had an awe inspiring sound run in direct mode through XLR into the PA.  So, I have seen the light and am now looking for a real FRFR setup and am in need of suggestions from other FRFR users out there.  Immediately two options jump out the QSC K10 or the L6 Stage Source series.  If anyone could help with some real world feedback on these or other models  that would be great.

The problem with using a modeler with an actual amp is... 

If you have a Marshall. There is no amount of modeling that is going to make it sound like a Fender. 

That is why an amp/speaker that is totally void of it's own character is perfect. 

I think the L6 Stagesource series are an excellent choice, and integrate easily with the HD500X via L6 LINK. I haven't done the comparison but the L2m is likely more costly than the QSC. In this case I think you get what you pay for. Both are very good options but the L2m is probably better sound quality.

I think the L6 Stagesource series are an excellent choice, and integrate easily with the HD500X via L6 LINK. I haven't done the comparison but the L2m is likely more costly than the QSC. In this case I think you get what you pay for. Both are very good options but the L2m is probably better sound quality.

Yes definitely you are getting what you pay for which is why I am not too worried about the cost because I want to make sure I get what I need.  The k10 and the Stage source are just two options I saw.  Are there any other FRFRs that people are using that are great?  Is the Stage source loud/ clean enough to use as a rehearsal solution? 

Yes definitely you are getting what you pay for which is why I am not too worried about the cost because I want to make sure I get what I need.  The k10 and the Stage source are just two options I saw.  Are there any other FRFRs that people are using that are great?  Is the Stage source loud/ clean enough to use as a rehearsal solution? 

I have the L2m and it is plenty loud enough to use as my back line for a full band gig, so rehearsal volume is no problem at all.

Yeah it looks like you are thinking more along the same lines that I am Radatats.  The L6 and the QSC are the only good setups I was aware of from scouring other boards.  I didn't even think about keyboard amps.  They might be the way for me to go since I just need to be heard loud and clear in the mix in my band room.  When it comes to gigs I am sure I will be mic'd.  Still some of those combos you came up with look truly tasty.  It would certainly be nice to have 2 speaker cabs running out with XLR inputs so I can make the most of the stereo options from the POD.  I am very curious to see how this list gets widdled down.  I am also a little on the skeptical side as you are about the power of some of these smaller speaker cabs though.  Can they really deliver or am I just still such a child of the 80's that if it doesn't break my back carrying it, it's not going to be loud enough...

Yeah it looks like you are thinking more along the same lines that I am Radatats.  The L6 and the QSC are the only good setups I was aware of from scouring other boards.  I didn't even think about keyboard amps.  They might be the way for me to go since I just need to be heard loud and clear in the mix in my band room.  When it comes to gigs I am sure I will be mic'd.  Still some of those combos you came up with look truly tasty.  It would certainly be nice to have 2 speaker cabs running out with XLR inputs so I can make the most of the stereo options from the POD.  I am very curious to see how this list gets widdled down.  I am also a little on the skeptical side as you are about the power of some of these smaller speaker cabs though.  Can they really deliver or am I just still such a child of the 80's that if it doesn't break my back carrying it, it's not going to be loud enough...

Ha!  I didn't even see your response and I had second thoughts about hijacking your thread so I started a new one instead...  sorry for the confusion!  :wacko: :D

http://line6.com/support/topic/12718-full-pa-recommendations/

OK then, lets keep it all in one thread...

I too have decided to go the full FRFR route.  I am most likely going to sell my DT25 and cabs, my other amps and my current power amp and passive Peavey PA cabs in favor of a new, light weight, PA system capable of meeting all my needs.  Unlike most of what I am seeing here so far, I am really not in the market for the L series speakers.  I understand the L6 link features but I am not playing in a band these days and probably not in the future either at this point.  I don't need the extra L series features like electric, acoustic when playing backing tracks.

I want a system for my studio and that I can take to solo gigs in small to medium venues and some outside gigs.  I play with backing tracks, programmed drums and synths, more of a heavy prog type music, not acoustic with vocals.  So that means I need a full PA with enough bass and headroom to carry the drums and synths as well as my guitars.  I have looked at a ton of different systems and combinations of gear and put together an bunch of wish lists to compare.  My budget is under $1500 max, preferably less.  I have no desire to over buy or own gear I don't really need.  I would really appreciate your input here regards any of these ideas.  I really need to know if some of the smaller systems could reasonably be expected to handle the load or if I should stick to the ones with a sub.

$768 - KXD12

$890 - TS iX12

$986 - EON610

$987 - DBR10

$1050 - B112D + Sub

$1087 - EON612

$1188 - DBR12

$1270 - TS iP1000

$1287 - DBR10 + Sub

$1290 - TS iX12 + Sub

$1757 - L2 Series

I know some guys don't like Behringer because of reputation but sometimes that comes across the same as those that don't like Line 6 just because.  Please give reasons if something should be off the list.  Can the 10" cabs really do the job?

As far as volume is concerned, I have no problems using one L2 for rehearsals and gigs. These things can get LOUD. I put mine on a speaker stand about head height because I don't have any ears in my knees. Being up at head height makes a big difference in how well I can hear myself onstage.

I went from a 100 watt tube head and 2 X 12 speaker cab and I have no problems getting just as loud at a gig with the L2 as I did with the tube amp.

-Max

I didn't even think about keyboard amps.  They might be the way for me to go since I just need to be heard loud and clear in the mix in my band room. 

AND MOST KEYBOARD AMPS ARE GOING TO HAVE MULTIPLE INPUTS, ALLOWING YOU TO RUN STEREO AND MAYBE EVEN A QUAD 

When it comes to gigs I am sure I will be mic'd.    

YOU DON'T NEED MIC'D. GO DIRECT TO THE PA, EVEN IF YOU ARE USING AN AMP. 

I am also a little on the skeptical side as you are about the power of some of these smaller speaker cabs though.  Can they really deliver or am I just still such a child of the 80's that if it doesn't break my back carrying it, it's not going to be loud enough...

ANGLE OF PROJECTION.

A LOUD AMP ON THE FLOOR SHOOTING STRAIGHT OUT AT YOUR FEET ISN'T AS LOUD TO YOU AS IT IS TO THE PERSON SITTING ON THE FLOOR TEN FEET AWAY. 

BUY A STAND THAT TILTS IT BACK SO THAT THE SOUND COMES DIRECTLY AT YOU. IT WILL MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE. 

PLUS, TECHNOLOGY HAS GREATLY IMPROVED SINCE '83. YOU CAN GET LOUD AND CLEAR OUT OF SMALLER.  

I have an L3m, HD500 and JTV. I have yet to come across a tone, acoustic or electric, that I can't get pretty darn close to. Oh, and it's INSANELY loud! Some people have commented on a disconnect between rig and player when going FRFR but I have never experienced this, it just sounds fantastic!

These things can get LOUD. I put mine on a speaker stand about head height because I don't have any ears in my knees.

That's Rich!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL So true too. I'm gonna be laughng off and on all day from this maxnew40. My thumbs up to ya! People are going to think I'm nutz hahaaaa. :blink:

Watch, that'll be the next big thing.... "Knee Pit Buds!  For those of you who are just too lazy to elevate your amp!  All that great ear sound in a sweat proof package!"  :P

So at the recommendation of another thread on here, I went ahead and ordered 1 Alto TS110a 600 watts should be plenty to do what I need especially if I end up liking it then I'm going to get a 2nd one and run stereo with dual amp models.  It shows up today, here's hoping!

• Upvote 2

Running only one xlr out to a single PA channel?   I've read that even with non-stereo effects like analog chorus you can lose one side of the signal since the XLR outs don't sum to mono.  The most common suggestion is to put a noise gate at the end of your effects with decay at 100% and threshold zero to pass the single to xlr out as mono.  But that has to be done for each patch.

Hi I am thinking of going FRFR  too as the sound I get through the Pod 500x studio direct into powered monitors for my studio/PC set up sounds closer to the real deal than if I link it via line 6 link into my DT25 head with the same setting but using pre amp instead of the full model. But before I go spending more money chasing the dream does the note feed back like a tube amp when you want it too when deliberately turning the guitar towards the speaker?