Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Toggle not working for mag pickups on JTV-59

Hi, I have essentially a new JTV-59 tobacco burst that I find I don't use very often however I did go to use it the other day and found that when using only the mag pups' that the toggle switch down (which I believe is bridge position works fine however when I toggle up to neck position (rhythm) there is boo sound, them a bit of crackling and then intermittently the sound kicks in and then goes again.

Has anyone had this and what would be the recommended fix? Is there any "toggle switch cleaner" and could this be from lack of use?

Thanks,

Derek

The special switches that line 6 uses are crap. I've had 3 59's and they each have had some issues with that switch. They are crap. You can look online to see a video on how to make intermittent toggle switches work better. Takes a little bending of some pins on the switch. Good luck!

I've had the same issue with my 1973 Fender Tele Deluxe, my Epiphone LP Classic, and my JTV-59 -- if you normally just leave it in the bridge position (pretty much I do) oxides build up on the other contacts. A few flips and it cleans off the contacts for the up position, and I have my neck PU back. The Switchcraft style 3-way switch is used in most of those 2 PU models. My 78 Strat and my JTV-69S don't exhibit this behavior (at least on mine) with their 5-way switches...

The 59 switch is a variation of the Switchcraft-style 3 way, but has some circuit boards on it for the JTV modeling controls. I saw a Line6 3-way JTV-58 switch on Full Compass's website, along with some miscellaneous other JTV parts, so I picked 'em up last year. Have not needed to use them, as of yet... Full Compass took quite a while to ship, so I was glad I didn't need them in a hurry...  Their picture of it showed the black tip, but the one I got from them has the same cream colored tip as the on my TSB 59.

Other threads here have had people successfully using contact cleaner on the 3-way switches. I've not needed to do that either. A couple of flips has always gotten me back in business.

My 2 cents' worth...

Dave

Other threads here have had people successfully using contact cleaner on the 3-way switches.

Dave

This should always be the first line of defense for crackling/intermittent switch issues. Takes 0.473 seconds, and certainly isn't gonna make anything worse.

This is a common problem with many guitars.  Most switches are not all that good when used on very low level signals like we have in our guitars.  Oxide builds up on the contacts and there is not enough current to break through it.  It takes special switch design with gold contacts to prevent this on low level signals.  Unfortunately, many guitar makers don't use properly designed switches. 

Any non-residue electronic contact cleaner (no lubrication!) should do the trick. If your local Radio Shack hasn't bitten the dust, that's a good source in the US - albeit at usurious prices.

Lol...4th and long, time to punt. Maybe that's the last ditch effort to avoid Chapter 11...overcharging for contact cleaner.

• 3 years later...
On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2015 at 7:19 PM, cruisinon2 said:

This should always be the first line of defense for crackling/intermittent switch issues. Takes 0.473 seconds, and certainly isn't gonna make anything worse.

Great advice, totally worked for me! I never thought of trying that, because the toggle switch worked perfectly in model mode, so I thought the problem couldn't be a physical

problem with the switch. Makes no sense, but fixed it my intermittent toggle problem in magnetic PU mode. So glad you posted this comment!! :)

• 2 years later...