Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

G90 experiences

Libertarian

Hello Everyone,

I've been a long-time Line6 user starting with the original POD right when it came out. Now I'm in the market to replace my old VHF wireless rack system. I've narrowed it down to three candidates:

1. Line 6 G90

2. Shure QLXD

3. Sennheiser EW D1

The Line 6 has a few advantages: already in 19" format with antennas front mounted (no additional rack mount hard ware and cables needed), it has 110V power and not some lose external power supply, a bunch of settings that seem nice, such as easily switching between two transmitters, plus additional transmitters are more affordable. And it's cheaper than the other two. It seems to sound pretty good for wireless. In know there is a chance that Line 6 might upgrade this model soon with the same technology they have on the new G75 or so. Nice transmitters on those but I need rack mount so those are out.

Downside: it's on 2.4ghz which means it's limited to 12-14 channels at best and it seems to be not very reliable compared to UHF or digital UHF systems such as the QLDX.

So in short, not is perfect for the money. Honestly, I'm leaning towards the Shure at this point. But I wanted to get some additional first hand input from folks who use it in pro settings, are touring with it and how it actually behaves when all user errors or hardware failures can be excluded. Let's say at a venue with high wifi density and in a guitar rack on the side of the stage.

Small-med venues i love the line6 gear.  Med to larger venues, unless you have good line of sight and/or the better directional antennas, the Shure QLX-D is just a bit more reliable as it's out of the 2.4ghz band (6GHz i believe), though it is also twice-ish the cost.  For most musicians I'd recommend the Line6 gear as the best bang for the buck by far.  The G90 probably would have been good for you as well, but trust is big.  You'll be happy with the Shure.    

My basis for comparison: I had a V75 mic setup (RF-1 mode) when we had a crowd of people blocking the line of sight between me and the receiver.  and the bass player had the QLX-D wireless rig. He was about to go about 25 feet further before dropouts.

Small-med venues i love the line6 gear.  Med to larger venues, unless you have good line of sight and/or the better directional antennas, the Shure QLX-D is just a bit more reliable as it's out of the 2.4ghz band (6GHz i believe), though it is also twice-ish the cost.  For most musicians I'd recommend the Line6 gear as the best bang for the buck by far.  The G90 probably would have been good for you as well, but trust is big.  You'll be happy with the Shure.    

My basis for comparison: I had a V75 mic setup (RF-1 mode) when we had a crowd of people blocking the line of sight between me and the receiver.  and the bass player had the QLX-D wireless rig. He was about to go about 25 feet further before dropouts.

Thanks for sharing that. We'll see I guess. I'm frankly a bit surprised to hear that there are any drop-outs with moderns systems, even without line of sight and larger venues. Never really had that issue with VHF systems - as long as the specific single frequency was clear otherwise. This seems to be a weakness of the shorter wave systems in general. 

I remain curious though what Line6 might release for a G90 replacement at some point. It has a lot going for it if they can increase the reliability regarding dropouts. The form factor alone is nicer than a lot of the stuff that is a lot more (including the QLXD).

The dropouts were because we were in the back of the room, not on stage.  I haven't had any issues with the line6 gear on stage.  You'll get more issues if you ever do corporate-type gigs with buildings that have a TON of wifi; that's where the QLX-D gear will really shine.