Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hopefully the last of my noob questions - Saving Presets

(Specifically on my outputs)

I take my M20d from room to room that supplies FOH - I'm saving output presets for the different rooms.  Naming them 'Room #1', "Richmond", etc

If I go back into a room and change my tweaks and go to save them, I'm told:

A preset named "Richmond" already exists in your preset library.

Please rename it before saving it to the library.

So  - How do I go about this?  I'm tweaking my tweaks as I learn the desk better and of course things change.  I have my rooms names as presets, and would like to recall/adjust/save with the same name.

Is this possible?

Part 2 - Recalling presets on Outs doesn't change the name of the preset!  Why not?

I'm not entirely certain I'm understanding exactly what you're doing here!

A preset is a collection of settings predefined for an input of a certain type, or in the case of the main output presets it is an eq model for the main speaker outputs.

If I am understaning correctly, you are saving all the tweaks you make from a stock preset with the intention of calling that back the next time you visit the room?

If so, you're coming at it from the wrong end.

By all means, load a preset against your output (it's what they're there for and, tweak it to fine tune the sound. But, instead of trying to save the preset, any changes you've made to the preset will be reflected in the "Setup", so simply saving a setup for the venue will suffice.

Assuming you are playing the same venue, with the same band/lineup, saving the final setup at the end (or any way through the evening) as a setup, under the venue name will save EVERYTHING except main out, mon a, b, c & d levels.

In my view, whilst many many of the presets are great, they should always be viewed as a starting point. The same is true of output presets. A certain degree of fine tuning to adjust for variations in acoustic response "on the day" would be normal.

Perhaps I am coming at it from the wrong end.  Just getting my head around the M20d line of thinking.  

I understood a 'Setup' to be just that - How the band sets up.  So I why would I want a different Setup for every room?  (again, maybe I'm getting this wrong - Please bear with me).   I have 3 set ups (solo, duo, band) and then want to use them in different rooms.

I'll appreciate your reply for pointing me in a helpful direction, but the question stands:

Can I tweak and save presets - One I created myself?  I just want to save my changes, which I could then use for other gigs.  Seems weird I get that error.

Can I tweak and save presets - One I created myself? .....

Please define exactly what you mean by 'preset'. In the M20d terminology, a preset applies to a single input channel; it is not a comprehensive term that applies to an entire setup. Here are a few videos that might help:

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/live-sound/stagescape-m20d-mixer/video-creating-custom-dsp-presets-on-stagescap-r627

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/live-sound/stagescape-m20d-mixer/video-channel-strip-part-i-eqtweak-padsglo-r131

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/live-sound/stagescape-m20d-mixer/video-channel-strip-part-ii-dynamics-processing-r132

As I understand you, you want to support the idea that the same band plays in different rooms/venues, and those different rooms require different tweaks to tune the sound to the room. You would like to save those so that you can recall them as you set up in any one of the rooms. Yes?

I would approach that in the M20d conceptual model using either different setups or different scenes; after you experiment with each approach you can select the one that works better for you. I would start with setups. Even though the physical inputs are the same you may want to have different settings for the Global FX. If you are using L6 Link there is also a 31-band global EQ in the M20d. I have never really used it and I don't know if it is saved with the Setup.

Or you can try using the Scenes model. There is no 'right' answer. Some combination of Setups and Scenes should get you what you want. Typically different Setups are used for a specific band in a specific venue (like your rooms). Scenes are used for specific sets or songs that the band plays in the venue.

If you haven't done so already, I suggest you read Appendices A, B, and C in the manual. They describe in detail the concepts of channel processing (presets), Global FX (which are saved with a Setup), and the Preset DSP types. Along with the 31-band Global EQ (if using L6Link), you should have the flexibility you want to save settings for your different rooms. All you should need to do after recalling the Setup is set the main and monitor output levels for the room during band set up.

Please define exactly what you mean by 'preset'. In the M20d terminology, a preset applies to a single input channel; it is not a comprehensive term that applies to an entire setup. 

Once again - Thanks for taking the time to type all that out.  I have read the manual, but I'll go over those sections again and watch the vids when I get time later.  

Sorry if I wasn't clear, here is the 'preset' I'm talking about (not an input channel):

Load Setup

Tweak (Left hardware button)

Select 'Output Channels' (upper left)

Select the mains

Tap the 'Load/Save Presets' folder

Select 'Load Preset'

Select 'Richmond'

*Note* Name of Preset doesn't change - But the EQ, etc IS loaded

Make changes to said preset

Tap the 'Load/Save Presets' folder

Select 'Save Preset'
Get warning:

"A preset named "Richmond" already exists in your preset library.

Please rename it before saving it to the library."

Why can't I change my settings and why doesn't the Name for the Mains change?

I have followed your steps above. I do not see a preset named Richmond, but I used a preset named Room 1 instead. I get a different message, indicating that the preset Room 1 is a factory preset. I would be able to replace it with my edited Room 1 preset if I wished.

Presumably your Richmond preset is one you created and saved earlier? The top left icon on the screen should be named Richmond. If you tap on that you can rename the preset and then save it (same as selecting 'Save Preset As...' in the previous step, I suppose). But I don't think this is what you want - you want to overwrite the existing Richmond preset.

But it appears, as you say, that you cannot replace an existing user-defined preset in the library. you would need to delete the Richmond preset from the library before re-saving it. Note that deleting it from the library does not delete it from your current Setup. To delete a preset from the library, drag the preset strip on the bottom of the display fully to the right. The final item will say 'More...'. Select that and navigate to your Richmond preset. Highlight it and select the Delete (trash can) button. You should then be able to save your current Richmond preset from your setup to the library.

• Upvote 1

Yes - These are my own preset names, as you can't alter/save factory presets.  I mentioned that in the initial post/question, but we've since dug in a bit deeper.

But it appears, as you say, that you cannot replace an existing user-defined preset in the library. you would need to delete the Richmond preset from the library before re-saving it. Note that deleting it from the library does not delete it from your current Setup. To delete a preset from the library, drag the preset strip on the bottom of the display fully to the right. The final item will say 'More...'. Select that and navigate to your Richmond preset. Highlight it and select the Delete (trash can) button. You should then be able to save your current Richmond preset from your setup to the library.

Well, that's just silly.  Thanks for clearing it up though.  My wife tells me she has the same problem on a PC at work - She has to rename things, not just save them.  Which leads to:

Richmond

Richmond.1

Richmond.2

etc...

If Line 6 is listening, please update this - 'Save' should do just that:  Save!
"Save As" is where you give things a new name.

Once again - Thanks for your time!