Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Reverb

banjomaster

Hi All,

im pretty happy with the hd 500x , but am i the only one who thinks

the reverbs are a bit lacking, without this 3d kinda depth, im thinkning lexicon,

also i use to own the axe fx2, it had killer verbs, its not that i expect the same from line6

with the much lower price tag,but still i think it could be improved, gimme HD Reverb please :)

I got Sonar X3 bungled reverbs and some bricasti convolution waves:; IRs.

Generally I find the HD verbs totally usuable; they have plenty of parameters to get what your after depending on your genre of course.

Usually in most cases you only want a smidgen of verb and often only a delay.

The HD verbs have predelay and feedback, decay as well as tone where you can clean it up alot to be not too wet or wet as with the ping pong. 

The spring reverb is a fav and sounds right for alot of the amps imo. for live.

When recording you might like ti use only a tight smidgeon of a plate or none at all.

I find the reverbs to be completely usable.

When I first got the pod, I didn't think much of reverbs other than they all sounded fairly similar to each other. But over time, and after listening carefully to each of them, they all have slightly different sounds. Some have a little more clarity on the front end, like the springs, and some have a wider field at lower mixes, like the tile or chamber. Some, like the hall or chamber, affect the harmonic content on higher gain patches. The room reverb is a good replacement for early-reflections. Crank up the mix and decay on some, especially the cave, for pretty good ambient, spacious mixes. My favorites have become the hall or chamber.

I used to like the springs for their clarity, but now I don't because they have a sort of ice-picky/ringing high end quality. Turning down the tone compensates for this somewhat. The springs also use a lot of dsp.

For a little more clarity on the original signal for the reverbs other than the springs, you can increase the pre-delay a little bit.

You can get pretty much anything you might be after. How they sound compared to other, more expensive modelers or expensive dedicated reverbs? Don't know, never really used them.

I thought the PODHD reverbs were lacking at first.  Then found that, like everything else, they need tweaking to get tone out of them.  Now I'm very happy with them.

Are they as good as the expensive reverb units ?  No, but with a tweak here and there, they're very usable.  By the time you get it mixed with everything else, it's hard to tell the difference.

I actually think the Line 6 reverbs are very good for the most part. I used to have the Strymon BlueSky, but I ended up getting rid of it simply because I didn't think there was enough of a difference to justify keeping it.

I never dug into the reverbs on the hd, but what i do on the kemper is run a wet/dry split with a delay feeding the reverb. You can easily do this on the pod by placing the effects in channel A 100% wet and use no fx in channel b. Dial in however much reverb you want using the mixer w both channels panned dead center. Then vary tone, time, feedback, reverb time, etc settings for unique sounds. Keep the delay repeats rather short and use quirky stereo times. Use no pre-delay on the verb. It gets complex but it can add extra depth to a lush reverb. Especially try adding modulation via the delay or via a chorus in front the delay

I also thought the Line 6 reverbs were unusable, but now I think otherwise. Like Joel Brown said, everything requires tweaking. The reverbs might not be as immediately gratifying as a Wet or Flint pedals, but when you know how reverbs work and how each parameter works, the Line 6 verbs are very usable.

My favourites are the '63 Spring (for a nice amount of space with a pleasing decay) and the Cave (for rich EMT 250-type sounds).