Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

will there be a fixed bridge model

lipsucnt

Does any one know if there are any plans for a fixed tail piece in the standard range as I much prefer the les paul style feel I have never been keen on strat style guitars. I have had a few and never kept them very long. or will the jtv 59 still be being made for a while.

thanks Terry

Hi Terry,

I doubt that the Line 6 folks will comment specifically on this in their official capacity, but from what I've read so far:

- The Variax Standard is a new model to be added to the Variax lineup.

- From what they've said, it's not meant to replace the JTVs so there's no imminent plan to discontinue the JTV.

- Line 6 people very rarely make statements ahead of time, about products further down the road.

- While it's possible they might do a LP style Standard, I wouldn't hold my breath.

- It will probably depend on sales figures to determine whether and when anything is discontinued, or whether and when any new models are introduced. (They didn't say this, but it's common sense.)

We don't really have much solid information about their plans, and of course they don't want to say too much in case those plans change - plus we've all seen how internet mobs sometimes bring out the virtual torches and pitchforks over the smallest things.

Thanks,

Matt

...plus we've all seen how internet mobs sometimes bring out the virtual torches and pitchforks over the smallest things.

That never happens around here. Now where's all the free gear L6 owes me?!?! I already bought a bunch of stuff. Next round should be on them...

That never happens around here. Now where's all the free gear L6 owes me?!?! I already bought a bunch of stuff. Next round should be on them...

Uh excuse me but I ordered a JTV. Line 6 should give me another one for free! I deserve it.

As far as a hard tail Standard variax goes ( you could just block it) thats what i did with my Fender Strat..  The thing holds true no matter how nuts you go with the string bends and rock solid tuning also..  they do have the tremelo no devise but I have never had much luck with those.. besides a couple of solid pieces of wood does wonders..

Thanks for the response however I have rectified my dilemma. even though things are tight with finances my amazing wife has agreed to me buying a jtv 59 in cherry burst. problem solved ..... :D  Just cant wait for it to turn up now.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have both a 69S and a 59 -- I'm not a tremolo user, so I tightened my springs to lay 69S's bridge on the top of the guitar, effectively blocking it -- I do the same with my strat, works fine.

The thing is, these 2 guitars have very different natures -- 59 -- fixed bridge, yes, but also mahogany body and neck, set neck, 2 humbucker PU's, shorter Les Paul-like string scale, hotter PU output. The 69S -- bolted maple neck, ash(?) body, 3 single coil PU's, longer strat-like length string scale, lower PU output... They are different animals. And I have to say the models do not sound identical in both -- very close, but a bit different because of the massive body differences -- they do affect things.

they are so different that when I got my 69S, I finally had to set up a whole different set list in my HD 500X -- to get the "same" sounding patches, I have nearly identical set lists -- I took my 59 set list and had to boost the input stages and fiddle with the tones, so I could use either for the same songs. I use one as my broken string backup at gigs. Sometimes I change between them at break time, but I gotta say after over 40 years as a Fender guy, the 69S usually stays in my hands all night -- just feels right. But boy the 59 is a beautiful guitar...

Anyway with the bolted neck and strat-like layout of the Standard, I'm guessing it will be absolutely strat-ish...

Dave

I have both a 69S and a 59 -- I'm not a tremolo user, so I tightened my springs to lay 69S's bridge on the top of the guitar, effectively blocking it -- I do the same with my strat, works fine.

The thing is, these 2 guitars have very different natures -- 59 -- fixed bridge, yes, but also mahogany body and neck, set neck, 2 humbucker PU's, shorter Les Paul-like string scale, hotter PU output. The 69S -- bolted maple neck, ash(?) body, 3 single coil PU's, longer strat-like length string scale, lower PU output... They are different animals. And I have to say the models do not sound identical in both -- very close, but a bit different because of the massive body differences -- they do affect things.

they are so different that when I got my 69S, I finally had to set up a whole different set list in my HD 500X -- to get the "same" sounding patches, I have nearly identical set lists -- I took my 59 set list and had to boost the input stages and fiddle with the tones, so I could use either for the same songs. I use one as my broken string backup at gigs. Sometimes I change between them at break time, but I gotta say after over 40 years as a Fender guy, the 69S usually stays in my hands all night -- just feels right. But boy the 59 is a beautiful guitar...

Anyway with the bolted neck and strat-like layout of the Standard, I'm guessing it will be absolutely strat-ish...

Dave

Speaking as a Strat guy myself, unless you're really in love with the neck on the 69, give some thought to one of the replacement options out there...Warmoth, Mighty Mite, hell even a Fender neck if you have one you don't mind canibalizing...makes the 69 a different, and much improved instrument, imho. Don't have to spend a fortune, and it really takes it from a good guitar to a great one.

Thanks, crusinon2. I don't really have a problem with the 69S neck. The 59 and 69S necks are definitely different. I've heard it discussed about the 69 necks being too small for people. I'm 6'6" and have pretty large hands and can't say I've had the issues others talk about.

I have a late 70's Strat, and a 1973 Tele Deluxe (has a Strat neck & the wide-range humbuckers) so I'm used to those as well.

I'm not opposed to mods, either -- I swapped the 69S single coils for a set of DiMarzio noiseless -- now there's a world of difference... I will keep it in mind, though.

Thanks again,

Dave

The 69S neck is smaller in width than my Strat neck - but I also have very small hands so it's a good fit for me.  I can see that for folks with large hands or fat fingers, that it could be too narrow.  I like bolt on neck guitars because you always have the option of swapping out the neck for one you prefer.  If I did not like the neck on my 69S, that is what I would do.