Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod Hd 500 - Pc Recording

Raphael26

Connect your HD500 to your computer via usb. Launch your audio recording program. Start using it to record your music.

If you don't know what I mean by 'audio recording program' then the place to start is to google that phrase.

Connect your HD500 to your computer via usb. 

I'm also new to this and was planning to do it on the weekend, I didn't think of the USB outlet, I was just planning to have the 1/4 out go into the guitar input on my friends PC for the programme.

Will the programme detect there's a POD hooked up?  How do you get the HD500 output to feed into the programme once it's loaded?

Will I need to upload HD Edit or any other programme?

Are the output settings and line/amp switch set the same or is this resolved when it's hooked up via USB.

Sorry if this is all obvious, is there a guide to read up on the set up?

s

The recording program should detect that the Pod is connected and should begin to use it. If not you may have to configure the program (its audio system settings) to use the Pod and its ASIO driver as the audio device. The Pod becomes your computer's soundcard, which means you need to connect your speakers/monitors to the Pod's audio outputs.

You do not need to use Pod HD Edit while recording. In fact you probably shouldn't because that can lead to confusion and communication breakdowns over usb among the recording program, the editor, and the Pod device.

You should set the Pod output mode to Studio and the Line/Amp switch to Line.

Yep, Silverhead is correct. My 2 cents are to find a different audio interface and plug your HD into that interface. That way you can use the hd edit to tweak your tone without issue. Having to tweak you tone via the Pod windows interrupts your workflow. Plus an external interface give you more control over your recording and monitoring.

The Pod becomes your computer's soundcard, which means you need to connect your speakers/monitors to the Pod's audio outputs.

I'm not sure what type of speaker connections they have on their pc, I could be wrong but can't imagine they'd be 1/4 inch jacks.

What's the best connection option?

s

Yep, Silverhead is correct. My 2 cents are to find a different audio interface and plug your HD into that interface. 

What exactly does the interface do?

Is the POD in that case still connected to PC via USB?

s

When you use your Pod Via the USB, it is your interface. An interface is anything that allows you to plug your, in this case, your guitar, into a computer. It takes your guitars analog signal and converts it to a series of "ones" and "zeros" that your computer can understand. in simple speak, an interface is kind of like an interpreter. Your guitar is speaking Tagalong and your computer only understands Farsi. The interface allows the two to speak. What comes out is the music that you played. 

The pod can be the interpreter. BUT it is limited. With an external interface, depending on which one you get, you have access to a mixer, effects that can be heard in your mix but not recorded. or heard in your mix and recorded. With an 8 input interface, you can record your band in one shot, then bounce that ripping guitar, bass, keys and flugelhorn jam onto a stereo pan, then erase the scratch drum track and have 8 inputs to have the drummer record the final drum mix.

While you are monitoring the recording and are ready for vocals, you can put in reverb and delay in the lead voc mix, and flange into the backing voc tracks while recording none of it! it is all going to the individuals head phone mix. Why is this important? Some singers can't get into the flow of singing unless they can hear some flange and delay on their vocals in their headphones. As the engineer, you can give them what they want without mudding up your clean signal. All of that applies to guitar as well.

Short answer, you get more from and external interface than you will get from the pod as your interface. 

Hopefully that makes sense.

As you are just getting into recording the POD HD 500 will be fine.

Download http://www.reaper.fm/

Make no mistake about getting a fully fledged Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) Nor be mislead by the $60 to buy a non commercial licence after your 30 day free trail.

Go to preferences and select your POD HD500

When you arm a trak just assign the input from the HD500 click on echo or listen in the track to hear. Set your level so you are not clipping. hitting -3db is fine. 

I bought a copy but as I am more used to Sonar I have stuck to it. But many users of all the top DAWs have gone over to Reaper.

You gonna want some drums and XLN Addictive Drums http://www.xlnaudio.com/productline/1 has a non time limited demo version. You don't get all the kits or library but you can go to groove monkey to get some midi loops. http://www.groovemonkee.com/en/free-midi

• Upvote 1