Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

An FRFR Convert

cclement

Well...I've taken the plunge, and the water is great!

I posted previously that I was getting good tones with my Vetta II/HD500x combination.. but thought I could do better. So since then I've sold my Vetta II (and my old AX212 as well) and purchased a Alto TS110A powered speaker (with another on the way). And now... oh the tones I'm getting!

I got my TS110A on Sunday afternoon and spent most of the evening putting it thru its paces and tweaking my patches for the new setup, and getting it all ready for tonight's band rehearsal. Needless to say, the guys in the band were a bit shocked when I walked in with my guitar case in one hand, the HD500X in my bag over my shoulder, and the TS110A in my other hand - no more 73lbs amp to lug around! But once I got it all hooked up and we started playing... they all commented about 1) how good it sounded and 2) how they could all hear me much better - The TS110A was on on top of a bunch of other gear with the horn at about shoulder level facing the band.

I've still got more tweaking to do - now that I've heard my patches at "stage volume" - but I'm at least 80% there. The only real issue of the evening was the big differences in levels between patches, but I knew that was going to happen. But since I have one patch per song (I turn ON/OFF FX as needed, and roll my volume on the guitar around a bit for tone/gain differences), it didn't mess with the vibe at all.

So... I'm a total believer/convert to running a FRFR rig now. I'm getting awesome tones that have that something "extra" I was missing with my old rig.

• Upvote 5

Well...I've taken the plunge, and the water is great!

So... I'm a total believer/convert to running a FRFR rig now. I'm getting awesome tones that have that something "extra" I was missing with my old rig.

Good to hear you made your life easier by becoming a FRFR believer. It's amazing how good the Pods sound through them. Just think no more tube amp issues. Rock On!

• Upvote 1

It's good for you!

It's funny because I'm a convert too but in the other direction :-)  I find the tone and feel with my analog amp (AC15) and pedals are much more alive, fun and touch sensitive than with my HD500X into my FR system.  I find the modeling route very convenient on stage but the sound has something lacking.

The TS110A is the same FRFR speaker I've been using for a few months now, and I love it more now than when I first got it. It really is a great sounding monitor at a great price and has helped me to get tones at home that closely match what I get plugged into a PA.

I like my FRFR so much that I am selling my tube amp and speaker cab.

-Max

As another tube amp begins to volume shift on me, I feel ya!  Lately I've been so happy with my HD500X into the Roland PM-30 (which came with my v-drums).  While I'm not selling em yet, my tube amps are getting dusty.

Is this the death of the tube amp? Of course not, but all things considered I would go FRFR rather than tubes. I like the consistency of tone across all volumes with my L3 which I always struggled to achieve with my tube amp. And it's lighter. And it can do acoustic sounds. 

• Upvote 2