Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

More POD HD ProX Questions

smrybacki

Before I press "Buy Now" on this unit, and I have more questions:

1. Does the MIDI on the back panel act as a true MIDI interface?  In other words, can I hook up a MIDI controller to it and have it be visible inside say Proepllerheads Reason or SONAR?

2. Sort of coninuting this train of thought, I plan to buy the MKII Shortboard to control it aand I believe this would connect via a dedicated Cat 5 cable...does this indicate an entire other bus or is this simply a bastardized MIDI connection via Cat 5 rendering the MIDI connectors as "used" already?  Sorry if this is a complicated question...

3. Regarding this MKII Shortboard -- does it work "out of the box" or will I be programming it extensively to work with each (and every) patch I ever build?

4. Can the Line inputs on the back be used for hooking up a Yamaha (or whatever brand) synth output and thereby hear it through my monitors and/or record that input the same as if I was connecting a guitar?

Thanks in advance for any answers.  My overaall goal here is to use this unit as my one and ONLY connection to my DAW, and I want to be able to play, practice and record using:

1. Variax guitar (dedicated Variax connection)

2. Regular wood and wire guitars (dedicated guitar input on the front)

3. Synth Keyboard output (Using Line Connectors on the rear)

Should this all be feasible, I will also get a Rokit S10 subwoofer to enhance the low frequencies with my Rokit 5 monitors to replace everything else (and a metric ton of wiring) in the offing.  Please feel free to shoot holes in this plan as I'd rather fail on paper and keep searching a proper solution as to buy (and regret) if there is something I THINK will wirk that actually will not work.

1. Yes and no. The Pod is not a full midi interface and will not be recognized as a midi device by your DAW if you are simply using a midi interface to connect it to your DAW. However, using a midi controller (which is itself the midi device recognized by the DAW) the Pod will respond to certain midi commands issued by the controller, originating from your DAW. But only program change and some midi cc commands are recognized by the Pod. You can't, for instance, connect your keyboard midi to the Pod and record midi sequences because the Pod does not recognize midi note on/off commands.

2. See #1. The cat5 connection uses a proprietary Line 6 protocol. Although both the MKII and the POD may use midi commands between themselves over cat5, no other device will recognize either of them as a midi device. Communication between the midi controller and pOd should be unaffected.

3. Yes. Works out of the box.

4. Yes, although you will have to route the inputs through the Pod DSP. Use a dual-path patch that keeps the channels separate, and do not use any amp or FX on either path. Pan each path fully L/R respectively in the mixer. Note that you will not be able to record guitar and keyboard simultaneously.

• Upvote 2

1. Yes and no. The Pod is not a full midi interface and will not be recognized as a midi device by your DAW if you are simply using a midi interface to connect it to your DAW. However, using a midi controller (which is itself the midi device recognized by the DAW) the Pod will respond to certain midi commands issued by the controller, originating from your DAW. But only program change and some midi cc commands are recognized by the Pod. You can't, for instance, connect your keyboard midi to the Pod and record midi sequences because the Pod does not recognize midi note on/off commands.

2. See #1. The cat5 connection uses a proprietary Line 6 protocol. Although both the MKII and the POD may use midi commands between themselves over cat5, no other device will recognize either of them as a midi device. Communication between the midi controller and pOd should be unaffected.

3. Yes. Works out of the box.

4. Yes, although you will have to route the inputs through the Pod DSP. Use a dual-path patch that keeps the channels separate, and do not use any amp or FX on either path. Pan each path fully L/R respectively in the mixer. Note that you will not be able to record guitar and keyboard simultaneously.

Thanks SIlverhead -- as always.  Well regarding the MIDI implementation -- that's kind of lollipop lol...

This implementation choice may be pushing me towards a different solution for my studio world.  I have tons of gear but it looks like a rat's nest and since we are house selling at present, the Missus has kindly requested a cleanup (or else lol) and I really can't blame her.

Funny thing is, I really don't use the POD HD500 I have very much at all for recording.  I mostly use it for noodling, practicing and fun. What I DO use more often than not to record with is the POD Farm (and all the model packs) I have because they work everywhere -- even in Reason which is my primary DAW.

Thanks again -- the research continues...

I use the Pod HD Pro as my only audio interface in my studio. I too was disappointed initially with the partial midi implementation. So I got a Line 6  Mobile Keys 49 which is a usb midi controller (not a midi sound module) recognized by a DAW. I use it to record keyboard sequences and drum triggers via midi, using VST synths and drum machines. The DAW recognizes both the audio (Pod) and Midi (Keys 49) interfaces simultaneously.

• Upvote 1

Well, my keyboard is USB connected so the MIDI gets in that way, but to hear it I either have to wear headphones connected to it, or connect the SPDIF out into my soundcard and arm a record track to hear it through my monitors.  As far as recording both guitar and keyboard at once -- I don't have enough hands to play them simultaneously lol.

The HD Pro is still in play.  Most of my weak-lollipop keyboarding is done with soft-synths anyway, but the Yamaha MO8 has some nice sounds of it's own I'd like to be able to tap into.  I will just keep the SPDIF connected if I want to record those sounds.  I just want to make sure I cover all the bases I actually want covered because this setup will be it for me, unless something breaks down.  I want simple, fairly versatile and dedicated to recording.  And any cool patches I make will be transplantable to my (shelved) HD500 should I want to go out and play in public again.