Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Getting rid of that cursed fizzy frying eggs sound...

Sumatra_Gold

HI all,

I am beyond frustrated today. I've had my POD HD300 for a while now and I can't seem to get rid of the fizz in the amp models. It's so annoying and I don't know what to do. I found one thread (about 50 pages long) with many, many users complaining of the same thing, but no real fixes for this. Some have said it's a clipping issue from higher output pups. OThers, that it's a matter of  EQ. I have several guitars and they all do it. Even my JTV 89 does it. Pulling the treble out of the eq helps a lot, but then kills the tone. I've also tried experimenting with cab and mic models. I dunno....I'm fresh out of ideas and can't seem to figure this out. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

If you can, will you please post a sound sample? No two people seem to agree on the exact meaning of the term "fizz."

Otherwise, we're just assuming what you mean, and the solution to the issue one person describes as "fizz" may be quite different from the solution to the issue someone else describes as "fizz."

There are 3 things I do for single tone patches to get rid of a good bit of it....

1st....kill the second input....It will default to "Same" which increases the level...This can drive the amp and some FX models hard...for some models like the Park 75, this is actually handy to push the drive harder...

2nd...turn down the Master Amp DEP control...20-50% depending on the model...100% on the JCM800 is just wrong...nope, sorry...never ran teh master on one of those that hot in real life and I bet it would sound like A$$ and kill your ears...

3rd...run down the resonance on the cab...quite a bit...sometimes 0%....I think the highest one I have is 13%...

This is just a general approach for a medium output passive guitar using single tone patches....Different model combinations spin up a little different, but in generally those three things help get it under control I think...

• Upvote 2

Hi guys. Just wanted to thank you all for trying to help me with this. I tried the suggestions my unit would allow, meaning several of the resources and threads were for 500 users not 300. The 300 is so limited. One of the biggest limitations seems to be that you need to combine an eq, a tube driver or some other type of distortion or overdrive effect with the amp model to get that focused tone without all the attendant fizz lollipoptying up your sound. The 300 will not allow you to do that. It's either an overdrive/distortion effect or eq, not both. And I'm sorry but I've been through these models so many times now and unless you're running clean, you stuck with that cursed fizz on the 300...apparently. It's driving me effing batty. I do have a great vintage tone that I use it for, but other than that, it's pretty much useless to me right now and, of course, now I'm ranting. So I'll shut my piehole for now. Again, thank you for your replies, your patience and your willingness to help, but other than the one vintage patch I use, I hate this thing right now. Time to turn it off and go grab a beer.

• Upvote 1

Hi,

Firstly, nice post above. I know how you feel, sometimes these issues can really turn you off playing. You get to the point where you focus more and more on your dislikes than you do on the positives until all you hear are the deficiencies. But there's no point getting angry, no matter how annoyed you get.

I hope you find a solution, there are lots of options on PODs but as you already know, the 300 has the least. I got to the point with my 500 that I got a DT amp for it, it really wasn't doing what I wanted it to by going direct or into my amp. It's a shame because I think the POD is great at some things. For me, it isn't good enough at the tones I want, even with a DT. It does cleans and chugs the scooped stuff exceptionally and can do the vintage thing alright but those aren't really what I'm after. I really just want a great sounding modded Marshall type tone. Not necessarily a Marshall clone but that kind of ball park, with a midrange roar.

Alas, I've admitted defeat with my 500, it just can't do what I want. I can't get close with a hard edged barky tone but there's always something missing. It's a great bit of kit for some stuff and is wonderful at switching and routing but my rig is now for sale.

Hope you do better than me.

• Upvote 1

I have a POD HD Pro, and i'll say it was an absolute b#tch dialing in solid high-gain tones. By the time I add all the surrounding FX

around the amp block to EQ stuff out, and get it to a respectable tone, I've run out of DSP, I feel sorry for you on a HD300 having

less potential. I'd say your on a futile quest without at-least supplementing the HD300 with extra pedals, goodluck with that. :blink:

• Upvote 2