Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

amplifi 150 data connection continuing issues

stick4000

hello guys. i have had my amplifi 150 for several months now, and the instances of data connection dropouts have gone from random, to every single time i turn the amp on. it will start up and connect and i will then get the data connection fault. AMPLIFI remote has lost its data connection to the amplify 150. it will continue to play the music, but all other controls are gone. no volume, tone, effects or anything else is available to me. i have to shut the app down, and reset my Bluetooth, then the amp sees my phone again.  my iphone sits less than 2 feet from the amp. i have performed the factory reset on the amp, and i am running the latest firmware. i tried using my wifes phone and i get exactly the same issue. my phone connects to other devices in the house without issue. this is extremely frustrating as the device for now is only working as a media player and i can only access the 4 presets. any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

post-2004272-0-00013600-1427412872_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

My 75 has been doing the same thing recently.  Yesterday and today it's been doing it constantly, about 3-4 times per 20 minutes of playing.  Leaving the app (going to the home screen) and then going back into the app forces it to reconnect, but then it just drops the connection again 5 minutes later.

I'm also sitting less than 2 feet from the amp.  My amp sits beside my desk, and my iPad sits on the corner of the desk closest to the amp.  I've been using my 75 for several months now and never had any problems.  Nothing new to my setup to cause interference and I've never had connection problems before now.  I've tried reinstalling the app, forgetting the bluetooth connection and then re-pairing, etc, etc.... Nothing seems to make any difference.

It's starting to get really annoying because I've been doing a lot of tone editing and keep having to exit the app and re-enter it in order to make adjustments.

Because neither the Amplifi IOS or Android app is capable of multitasking with any other app this is a chronic problem. In addition to making sure all other apps are off, one thing I found that also helps is to turn off ALL notifications on your phone or tablet and set them to DO NOT DISTURB. This will not solve this problem but will help with the frequency of communication disconnects.

It would be nice if Line 6 would update the app and/or firmware to fix this known problem but it's lack of any activity with the Amplifi line makes me think that's it... no more updates.

Because neither the Amplifi IOS or Android app is capable of multitasking with any other app this is a chronic problem. In addition to making sure all other apps are off, one thing I found that also helps is to turn off ALL notifications on your phone or tablet and set them to DO NOT DISTURB. This will not solve this problem but will help with the frequency of communication disconnects.

It would be nice if Line 6 would update the app and/or firmware to fix this known problem but it's lack of any activity with the Amplifi line makes me think that's it... no more updates.

I don't think it has anything to do with multitasking or notifications.  As I said, I've been using my 75 with absolutely no problems for months.  It's only been in the last few days that I've been having problems.

I constantly have several apps open at the same time and receive constant notifications.  It's never caused a problem.

hey there jaguar, same deal here my friend. from when I bought this several months ago, I would get very rare dropouts in connection. but im talking once or twice a month. then nothing at all. I could receive texts, emails, take other app alerts and it never effected connectivity.  I could also go quite a distance away from the amp,and when my son is playing, change tones and music on him. now its every single time I connect. its odd though because it loses connectivity, but the unit still operates as a media player. I can change tracks in the app but cant control the amp. I don't know if its a firmware issue, or if I need to return to the store for repair. is there anyone from line 6 that could offer any ideas. ??

hey dialtech, I thought I had seen the light when I read your post. I quickly turned my phone off and on, then set it to do not disturb. I then turned the amp on and within seconds I get the data connection lost message. oh no. thanks for your advice mate. as I said in my reply to jaguar, I used to receive updates and texts and emails before, and I only had to acknowledge them for them to go away. it never effected connectivity. im at a loss here. im hoping line 6 can point me in the right direction. firmware or store repair.??????

• 2 months later...

Are you still experiencing these connectivity problems?

I just received a new 150 today and could not get it to work. Four solid lights, would not enter BT pair mode, would not connect to PC via USB. I'm returning it tomorrow.

Now I see many people with actual "working" units are still having other issues.

I'm re-considering exchanging it for a new unit. Would you purchase an Amplifi again, given your experiences?

Also, Did you ever try deleting and reinstalling the Amplifi app to fix the connection issues?

• 3 weeks later...

It could be a good idea to gather specific inforrmation about the dropouts, such as connected device (iPhone, iPad, Android, PC, etc), OS (iSO 7, iOS 8, Jelly Bean, etc) and such.

Maybe it's related to OS updates? IDK. It's weird that media streaming is unaffected. 

I'm having my brand new 150 replaced. 

Same issues. Its paired, works great. Then i go into my music, choose a song, then choose a tone.... 

I back out of it to the main screen. On the left menu under TONES   No Device in grey, Under TOOLS , level is greyed out and will not select. 

Under settings, Device Flash..... Device Flash Version: No device.

So close the app. Re open the app and it syncs.

Go to the my music and the SAME THING.    

I have performed all the recommendations, however sporadically placed on their support pages they may be, and all firmware is current. 

IM GIVING THEM ONE LAST CHANCE BY REPLACING THIS UNIT.  IF SAME ISSUE OCCURS ITS NO LINE 6 PARA NADA.

Having the exact same "no device" issue. I've only had this thing for a couple of weeks, and since I (fortunately it seems) bought it as a sound source for my POD HD500, I hadn't taken much time to play with the Amplifi sounds. Now that I have, I'd say the default patches (since I can't access anything else) and the iOS app (since it won't transfer patch settings to the Amplifi) can only be described as garbage.

There are other full range solutions I could have used for my POD HD. I gave the Amplifi the nod due to it's stand alone capabilities. Capabilities that don't appear to exist.

G'day Chaps - Possible solution to connectivity Issues..

For me, I get problems only when online!  When the app starts for the first time it asks you to log in - do that, and then switch off your connection to the internet! You have not logged out, and the app still shows your user name! If you restart the app it will still show your user name and My Tones etc won't be greyed out!

This has solved the issue so far

If this solves the issue for you - then Happy It Works Day :)

Surely if you turn your data of it won't match tones when you play a song for example thus defeating the object of its best selling feature. As far as I'm concerned my amplifi 150 is not fit for purpose and doesn't perform as advertised if line 6 don't sort this connection problem out I am thinking of issueing court proceedings against them, think we all need to get tough on them!

• Upvote 1

Hello again,

Just received replacement. Worked great for 10 minutes with a little "Shine on you Crazy Diamond"......

Then....

Connection dropped.

No Device.

No Level.

Tell me a moderator is reading the above posts and passing this along to those that have the power to update the coding.

Its a sweet product but needs to live up to its expectations and advertising.

Ok back at the keyboard......

Experimenting here  so i tuned off most notifications and push data from apps within ios 8.

Synced Bluetooth. Selected song, selected tone. Swiped up to disconnect wifi. 

It appears to be working with that setup. 

Now ill play with it a bit and reconnect wifi. Im hoping its a notification or data push that is interfering with the connection.

Has anyone tried using the android app? Do you get the same problems with it?

My "connection" being dropped repeatedly didn't happen with my wife's android

phone, and was just wondering if it was an Apple problem rather than poor old

Line 6's fault. Please don't shout at me, 'twas just a thought

Hi i just bought the amplifi 150 got home connected everything up and paired it to my Samgsung Galaxy2 and only the media player worked so i figured it must be because my phone is a few years old.So i go and buy a Samsung Tab get back pair it up and the same thing has happened only the media player works.I have a few issues with some other products from Line6 but time is a healer and i thought i would give them another go....what a joke this piece of crap is going back to the store.Well done Line6 on another piece of junk undeveloped rubbish.And before people jump up and down about me being a troll blah blah blah you must understand that i want this thing to work but it clearly has problems and im not the only one having this very issue.Well never ever again and this is why

EX3 live...smoked

Hd500 ....firmware issues it was replaced twice

Variax.....smoked stopped working

Am i a little feedup ....that aint the half of it

So if someone has a solution im all ears but im betting there isnt one :angry:  

• 3 weeks later...

hello guys. i have had my amplifi 150 for several months now, and the instances of data connection dropouts have gone from random, to every single time i turn the amp on. it will start up and connect and i will then get the data connection fault. AMPLIFI remote has lost its data connection to the amplify 150. it will continue to play the music, but all other controls are gone. no volume, tone, effects or anything else is available to me. i have to shut the app down, and reset my Bluetooth, then the amp sees my phone again.  my iphone sits less than 2 feet from the amp. i have performed the factory reset on the amp, and i am running the latest firmware. i tried using my wifes phone and i get exactly the same issue. my phone connects to other devices in the house without issue. this is extremely frustrating as the device for now is only working as a media player and i can only access the 4 presets. any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

iOS 8.4

iPad mini 2

I too have same problem. I thought my older iPad (3 gen 30 pin connector) was the culprit. However, I believe it is iOS 8.4. I have always had this same issue, but not to this extent. For me it seems to lose connection when I am trying to recreate a tone. For instance, going back and fourth between music (so I can compare) and edit mode (pausing the song). When I play regularly this problem is not as bad. What I mean is I usually have the "no device" when launching amplifi app. I sometimes either reboot the amp or "forget the device" under Bluetooth, and repair. I agree this is not solid technology at this point.

I plan on trouble shooting first by disconnecting my Bluetooth mouse that is in the room. Then disconnecting USB from the amp. Then I will try what was mentioned here about internet issues.. Hope it works at least while I am attempting to recreate a tone...

Line 6 I hope is working on a permanent solution to this constant issue. Maybe Bluetooth isn't such a good way to connect to the amp, maybe add other ways to connect (USB AND CABLE, or copy chrome cast and allow me to stream over my intranet). I will post if any of the above works for me.

I also agree that the whole idea of amplifi is to have Internet connection, but until something is done we have to figure out a work around.

Tried everything to rectify the Bluetooth problem, even tried moving my 2.4 ghz router from the room. Nothing is working, drops continue..

I found this thread that may help one of you if this is the issue. I think maybe my router isn't far enough, but unsure if this is even the issue, or an iOS 8 thing.

http://line6.com/support/topic/14659-bluetooth-dropping-fix/

If anyone has luck with the above fix please post..

I'm Dubbing this problem "Dropgate"... :-(

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey guys. I have had my line 6 150 for almost a year now. I have been having the same problems with disconnecting. It will not link up with Android at all, other than a music streamer. I bought an IPad just for the Line 6 and messes up all the time. I have contacted Line 6 about this. I had a Ticket number. It doesn't mean anything to Line 6. They don't care about your problems and are not coming up with an update to fix it. They just tell you to update they firmware to the 2.10 and that's it. The 2.10 firmware I also lost the LED light by the A,B,C,D, tone button. I would go back words in the firmware and the LED light would come back on. I thought going back to the first firmware would fix the disconnecting problems, nope.... One would think they would be on the ball to fix this... you would think. Thanks 

My Amplifi 75 has had serious Bluetooth dropouts. I found with the latest app update iOS it seems to be ok. I haven't played it more than 15 minutes but it was fine. In the past if I was playing along with a guitar instructional video I think the wifi would cause it to quit. This was what I bout the Amplifi to do, practice. Hopefully the problems are done with.

I did sent in a ticket and was told to sent on the amp for repair. It is 9 months old and I believe the problem is software.

Still thinking about trading it in on something more stable.

I just received my Amplifi 150 yesterday, installed all the latest Amplifi software/patches that are available to date.  I had no problem with software installs using USB connection and Windows 7 computer.  Also, I had no problems with paring the amp to my iPad Air (running latest iOS 8.4.1).  However, within minutes of playing around with various sounds and settings using the Amplifi app on the iPad, I began to experience the same connection problems mentioned by others (approx. every 5 minutes).  I realized that using the iPad's onscreen keyboard (to type in custom search terms for sounds) increased the frequency of disconnects.  I decided to go into the iPad's Settings > Sounds and I disabled the "Lock Sounds" and "Keyboard Clicks" and I have not had a single disconnect since changing these sound settings (after approx. 3 hours and counting).  Maybe the Amplifi app is having a problem with processing the keyboard click sounds that are coming from the iPad?  

I hope this tip helps others as much as it has helped me.  (I also posted under thread for Amplifi 75 connection problems)

• Upvote 1

I realized that using the iPad's onscreen keyboard (to type in custom search terms for sounds) increased the frequency of disconnects.  I decided to go into the iPad's Settings > Sounds and I disabled the "Lock Sounds" and "Keyboard Clicks" and I have not had a single disconnect since changing these sound settings (after approx. 3 hours and counting).  Maybe the Amplifi app is having a problem with processing the keyboard click sounds that are coming from the iPad?  

I hope this tip helps others as much as it has helped me.  (I also posted under thread for Amplifi 75 connection problems)

I think you might be on to something here.  I wonder if there's a way to submit this to Line 6 to have it sorted out...  Maybe it could also be stickied on the main page or added into the FAQ/troubleshooting section.

I don't have very many connection problems with my 75, but obviously lots of other people do.  The main source of disconnects for me was being caused by my tv's wifi, which was sorted out as soon as I disabled it.

However, I remember when I first got the amp that I was having tons of disconnect problems.  I came pretty close to packing the 75 back up in the box and returning it.  But then "all of a sudden" most of the disconnect problems vanished.

I read this post of yours today and thought to myself that I remembered turning off the keyboard sounds because the amp would make a loud static/pop noise every time the keyboard would pop up and it was really jarring and annoying.  At first I was just turning down the volume any time I needed to type something but that was inconvenient so instead I just turned off the keyboard sounds.

I turned the keyboard sounds back on today and wouldn't you know it, I instantly got a disconnect when I went to save a tone.  I closed the app, started it again, and got another disconnect.  Turned the keyboard sounds back off, no more disconnects.

So I think you've found a bug in the software.  Not sure if it's on Line 6's end (the Amplifi app) or Apple end (iOS related), but hopefully it can be fixed.

I think you might be on to something here.  I wonder if there's a way to submit this to Line 6 to have it sorted out...  Maybe it could also be stickied on the main page or added into the FAQ/troubleshooting section.

Thanks for the confirmation Jaguar9080.  I'm still free of disconnects after a few more hours of playing with the Amplifi amp and app.  I submitted a Support Ticket this evening to inform Line 6 of our observations.  I'll keep you posted as per Line 6's response.

Thanks Again

• 2 months later...

Hi guys I have an amplifi 150.it has only slight volume when turned up all the way with or without the app, it will play music via bluetooth not loud and sounds very tinny i have tried resetting factory presents numerous times to no avail and have updated firmware. Please help

• 9 months later...

Hi guys I have an amplifi 150.it has only slight volume when turned up all the way with or without the app, it will play music via bluetooth not loud and sounds very tinny i have tried resetting factory presents numerous times to no avail and have updated firmware. Please help

You should check that the volume on the paired device (iOS or other) is set to maximum.  Found this out with my iPad - sound is controlled by the iPad volume control in addition to the amplifier.  It's not like a 'standard audio out' with a fixed volume.  Hope this helps!

I received a response from Line 6 about the support ticket I submitted last week.  They thanked me for providing the info and will share this information with Quality Assurance team for them to look further into it.

Thanks, I had just received a new Amplifi 75 and was experiencing the same bluetooth disconnect issue as others have reported.  I'll try disabling those Setting parameters and report back as well.  I have an Amplifi 30 (love it) and it doesn't have same BT issue.

I am having issues connecting to my PC via USB. I gotta tell you, this thing is a piece of lollipop. No one at Line 6 give a damn about any of the issues any of us has. I really wanted this to be awesome. I am also having issues with my tablet. Can't add music to my library, and can't download Tones to use them either. Giant toe stubber!

• 2 months later...

I just received my Amplifi 150 yesterday, installed all the latest Amplifi software/patches that are available to date.  I had no problem with software installs using USB connection and Windows 7 computer.  Also, I had no problems with paring the amp to my iPad Air (running latest iOS 8.4.1).  However, within minutes of playing around with various sounds and settings using the Amplifi app on the iPad, I began to experience the same connection problems mentioned by others (approx. every 5 minutes).  I realized that using the iPad's onscreen keyboard (to type in custom search terms for sounds) increased the frequency of disconnects.  I decided to go into the iPad's Settings > Sounds and I disabled the "Lock Sounds" and "Keyboard Clicks" and I have not had a single disconnect since changing these sound settings (after approx. 3 hours and counting).  Maybe the Amplifi app is having a problem with processing the keyboard click sounds that are coming from the iPad?  

Dude, you may have saved my Amplifi experience!  I was just about to bail and trade this frustrating Amplify 75 in for something else.  Just couldn't handle the "every 2 minute" disconnect problem.  I love this Amplifi amp/tone idea and when it works its magic, but just so rarely stays connected.  With nothing to lose, I changed the settings in my iPad as per your suggestion, and have been "disconnection-free" for hours.  That has NEVER happened and can't be a coincidence.

I find it discouraging that since the success or failure of this technology for Line 6 (since they do not offer a direct wired connection option) rests solely on Bluetooth connectivity (and it appears that it just doesn't work with their app), and with so many people having so many problems for SO LONG, that they haven't come up with a solution yet.  I mean, your suggestion is a year old and I just happened to stumble across it!!  So thanks for that.   But who knows, it may not last and I'll be trading in anyway.  Would love to know if you have had continued success and what your experience has been since your last post?

Dude, you may have saved my Amplifi experience!  I was just about to bail and trade this frustrating Amplify 75 in for something else.  Just couldn't handle the "every 2 minute" disconnect problem.  I love this Amplifi amp/tone idea and when it works its magic, but just so rarely stays connected.  With nothing to lose, I changed the settings in my iPad as per your suggestion, and have been "disconnection-free" for hours.  That has NEVER happened and can't be a coincidence.

I find it discouraging that since the success or failure of this technology for Line 6 (since they do not offer a direct wired connection option) rests solely on Bluetooth connectivity (and it appears that it just doesn't work with their app), and with so many people having so many problems for SO LONG, that they haven't come up with a solution yet.  I mean, your suggestion is a year old and I just happened to stumble across it!!  So thanks for that.   But who knows, it may not last and I'll be trading in anyway.  Would love to know if you have had continued success and what your experience has been since your last post?

jmarchand,

Thanks for your post of thanks.  Glad to hear my suggestion worked for you. I never received an update on my support ticket from Line 6 as per a fix, etc.   I have been enjoying my Amplifi 150, especially now that I picked up a Helix and I am running Helix phone jack out into the Amplifi line in (sounds pretty nice).  However, I have to admit that I have not been using the Amplifi Bluetooth feature much.  Not because I experienced lots of problems with it, but because I've been mostly working on original tunes (rather than jamming with other's recordings and/or backing tracks).

I hope you have continued success with your Bluetooth connection.  If you continue to use the Bluetooth feature often, it may be helpful to others if you post back with an update down the road.

Thanks again.