Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Fender 65 Reissue vs DT50 65

BucF16

I have 2 x DT50's 2x12's and have been trying to sell one.  The only offer I've gotten is to trade a '65 Deluxe reissue.

Anyone here ever owned a '65 Deluxe and be able to compare the two?  I think the DT50's Deluxe channels sound great.

I'm really only considering this deal because this DT50 is pretty beat up after 3 years of gigging and the Fender is brand new.  I'm also considering that the the Fender might hold value better than a DT50.

If someone credible told me that the DT50's model was spot-on, I'd pass on the offer.

surprisingly... the fender would have a higher value if it was older and beatup than if it's new...

i don't think you'd get any new sonic turf by trading... and the value is really similar....

the bigger difference if you plan to flip it.... is that the deluxe will play to a wider market....

more tube snobs/cork sniffers out there than there are digital aficionados...

so it might sell/trade faster if that's the route you're going....

i don't think the trade would be worth the effort myself... unless it's something you want.

new toys are always fun..

You've pretty much framed my internal argument.  I have no need for 2x DT50's and this would really be a trade to just preserve perceived value.

...Unless someone tells me that they've owned/played both.  Then I'll at least have something to go on.

I have owned a 65 deluxe reverb and at the moment own a DT25 but unfortunately not at the same time so I can not at the moment compare one with the other. However the 65 has 2 channels normal and vibrato the normal channel is more mellow tone wise than the vibrato channel but the reverb does not work on the normal channel but there is a simple mod you can do if you are handy with a soldering iron let me know if you want this and I will try and find the details. The vibrato channel has more top end and reverb and of coarse vibrato. In general although the amp is 22 watts using 2x 6V6's in the finals it is  very loud and would easily compete with a drummer and it does take pedals very well and is probably one of the most recorded amps in commercial studios for a lot of artists and studio owners in the past. If you want to turn up the output to get the amp to overdrive and compress  it would not be in a house if you value your neighborhood or at most Venus as the amp is quite clean up to half way by which time it is loud. If you like output overdrive you would be better with the 68 reissue.

Well that's a hard thing to do I would say that the DT amps comes close but if you want that fender sound which is both deep and sparkly you can not beat the real thing. The thing with the DT is a very good jack of all trades but master of none but close enough in most situations but if you are going to put the real thing next to the DT and you are particular then you would probably choose the real thing.

Pro's for the DT is its good at modelling most amps i.e you get more the one flavour

Cons you can not mod much.

Pro's for 65 mods out there if you want you can change tubes to get different sounds plus tube rectifier to give a little sag

Cons just one kind of flavour 

• Upvote 1