Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Change MIDI channel output for each patch?

NinoScholz

I just bought a hafler T3 tube preamp (sounds great in the pods FX loop BTW) and i'm sending channel switches to it from the pod HD pro for each bank. The default is 1A = 1 , 1B=2, 1C = 3 etc... is it possible to change what each patch sends as a midi signal, or am i stuck with the default? I really just want every patch to send either a 1 or 3 (clean or gain2), maybe a 2 for D, for the patches that i'll be using the preamp, the rest i'll still be using models so won't need MIDI. My banks all follow the same pattern, I use all 16 banks but with same general setup in each bank.

What i don't want to do is send the MIDI signals by hitting a footswitch after changing patches- i  want the T3 to go the correct channel when i hit footswitch a,b,c or d  A=1, B=3,C=3,D=2 for every bank/setlist

any help?

Yes it can be done.

Instead of your amp, I send out midi to change an M9 FX unit. From the PODHD fs5(A) -all banks- I select M9 effects for Acoustic.  I select M9 effects for clean all banks from fs6( D ) etc etc.

The only way I could accomplish this was to get a "Event Processor Plus" from MIDI Solutions. This box is powered from MIDI so no batteries or mains. You program it (very easily) to read in this case the output from the POD and translate the output to just about anything MIDI. So for example, by default it can output a program change  of 1 (So if you do no other translation your amp will always get a 1) then you can program it to when fs8(D) is pressed on the PODHD a program change of 03 is sent out. This box can then translate this 03 to 02 and output that to the amp. Likewise the next Bank fs8(D) will output a program change of 07 which can be again translated to 02. 

The only downside is that the above unit can only do 32 translations which is usually enough with some careful planning or just get two units.

Hope this is helpful.

• Upvote 1

Thanks anon that does help. Ive read up a bit more in the manual. The patch messages are fixed, so no changing them. If i were to use pedalboard mode I could assign specific midi messages to the abcd buttons but i need my patches. I play in a coverband and have a bank for each song with any special fx. I think the only way to go is the midi translator device you noted. For no I will stick with using the gain channel on the pre, and models for cleans. That was my original intent anyway before i plugged in the MIDI cable, saw that i could change the preamp channel via the pod, and started tweaking like crazy!

Thanks again.

Dang, if that Midi event processor did 64 patches (16 pod banks worth of patches) id be all over it. If running two, you would just run in the boxes series right? The one box would ignore the messages that the other box converted i suppose. Thats getting pricey. Hmmmm.....

Edit: since some of the messages coincide with what i need them to be, 32 may be enough. Ok...my poor wallet. Thanks again.

You would think - but lots of kit has mapping on the receiving side as well.

My now boxed and gathering dust Marshall JMP-1 for instance both maps incoming MIDI PC to internal patches, but also remaps them outbound as well, and that only has a 4 character display and was built in the 90's.  

You would think - but lots of kit has mapping on the receiving side as well.

My now boxed and gathering dust Marshall JMP-1 for instance both maps incoming MIDI PC to internal patches, but also remaps them outbound as well, and that only has a 4 character display and was built in the 90's.  

Yeah the Mp-1 I tried before worked well like that, could just assign a patch for the signal being sent from the Pod for each bank, up to 127 patches i believe. Too bad i didn't like the way it sounded - Pod models were better imo. Unfortunately on the Hafler T3 the MIDI assignments are fixed, which aside from this issue is great as I don't have to worry about a battery and whatnot. It's a very simple unit.

Ah it seems the mini amp gizmo will work since my Hafler has a TRS footswitch control input. I think when i have some extra money, i'll give that a shot so i can fully control every aspect of my rig via bank switching from the Pod.

Unless of course, the upcoming update miraculously adds bank midi program user assignments!

Update on this - got the mini amp gizmo, which receives the midi signal from the pod (can save a patch for each preset, all banks) and converts it to relay switching for the preamp or any tube amp with footswitch control. I had to make a custom DIN to TRS cable to go from the gizmo to the preamp.

Once it was hooked up, it took about an hour of messing about with the different settings (momentary, grouped, , either, or, both, etc) to finally get it working with the pod patches. Apparently the Hafler T3 switching circuit is not very standard - but by george i've GOT IT!! So.....now i change patches on the pod HD, and the preamp goes to the channel i need -  crunch or lead (not using clean on the preamp, using pod model instead).

line 6, for your next flagship, PLEASE INCLUDE 1 or 2 PROGRAMMABLE AMP RELAY OUTS - that would really save so much trouble for those using the unit with analog amps!