Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DT3

ColonelForbin

So, I completely did not plan this!! 

On a whim, after work, I had some free time, decided to stop by a couple of music stores. ended up at the Guitar Center in Napervile an hour before closing, and stumbled across a used DT25 head they just got in to the store a few days prior.

Played it through a 4x12 Line 6 cab they had (not the 412 DT cab; older, somewhat beat up). Oh man, sounded amazing, they had a used JTV59 hanging directly over it; I plugged it in direct and played for 20 minutes or so; sound was flawless, it just rips plugged in straight with no POD.. So you can see where this is going - home with me!! And I snagged it for $499!!

Can't pass a used DT25 head in stellar condition for that price..

So, I don't have a proper cab at home; I ran it through my Mesa Boogie 1x15 bass cab, it cranked, but that's not the right speaker / cab setup for this head. I took one of my DT25 combos, and just pulled the speaker cable and plugged it into the head... Sounds stellar, so I figure, ok I gotta now get the 1x12 cab (or two) that I have been holding off on.

Looked around a bunch for used deals, compared payment plan options for new; then found a new listing on Reverb.com for local pickup, near me- somewhere halfway between where I work and home, for a used mint condition DT25 1x12 cab for $180.. Yeah, so just snagged that too; will have to meet up with the seller next few days to grab it.

All in all, at $680+ some tax, a decent price for a local, used DT25 head+cab set!

Happy Friday ya'all, rock on :)

• Upvote 1

That's a steal.  Enjoy!

That's what prompted the sudden onset of spontaneous GAS! While I was playing through it before I decided to buy, I used my phone to look online at any other used DT25 heads on eBay, Reverb.com, etc. Nothing even close!! They said it had just come in a few days prior, and another guy had spent a couple hours jamming on it when it first got there. They gave it a good listen and were not hearing any obvious issues; so I will hold off on immediately retubing it! Learned my lesson on the last round of retubing DT's... If it sounds good, and it's got the EH tubes in it, leave well enough alone!!

I have two purposes in mind for this rig;

#1.) make a massive three-DT "wet/dry/wet" stereo ensemble for my use alone!! Total overkill, but will be awesome to try..

#2.) share the gear, and make my band sound better, by loaning this to my buddy who is our lead guitarist / lead singer / song writer - to be his new amp rig for gigs and stuff..

He's already using my Keeley pedalboard anyway, so it should sound pretty friggin' EPIC when I get it all dialed in. We just took his SG in to Third Coast to get a setup and adjustment, so that axe will be making an appearance on our 5 song EP we're recording in studio right now. I will keep my eyes out for a second DT 1x12 cab, get another used one when the right deal comes along.

He has a sweet older US Fender tweed 1x12 40 watt or something. It sounds decent, but it has issues, needs some possibly expensive repairs, and the speaker does not sound good when it's mic'd up, no matter what we try!! Hence the DT head rig, we'll run that XLR DI out for his signal, since I already do that with my DT's to send the main mix via the DT XLR DI. Then the two guitar signals will be isolated, comparable levels and tones. Me in stereo, him panned center.

On that studio note, just got word from the engineer, our bass player got his parts recorded over the last couple weeks! Vocals round 2 start next week; then more guitars. It's been a cool process. We're working on a shoe string budget in a cool well put together mini-studio. Console room, and an isolation room, it's been perfect. Simple is good; Life is good.

And if you want to avoid major GAS, stay away from Reverb.com!!!!! :)

....the great and powerful Oz envisions a new Variax standard in your future GAS Man!

Rockin' deal my friend!

I was pretty pumped on those for a while.. Then I made the mistake of taking a closer look at the new 30th PRS guitars...

Yowser! The core stuff is obviously going to be ridiculously awesome; but I was quite surprised by how much I was liking the S2 series! Something keeps telling me that PRS should make a Variax offering.. Or to be more specific; it would be stellar if Line6 convinced PRS to build a Variax! :)

#WishfulThinking

Here's a cool guitar build process page; "PRS-Variax transplant guitar"

"The guitar is a handmade solid body in the style of a PRS custom 22, fitted with the electronics from a Variax 300"

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.langwade/

image037.jpg

I was pretty pumped on those for a while.. Then I made the mistake of taking a closer look at the new 30th PRS guitars...

Yowser! The core stuff is obviously going to be ridiculously awesome; but I was quite surprised by how much I was liking the S2 series! Something keeps telling me that PRS should make a Variax offering.. Or to be more specific; it would be stellar if Line6 convinced PRS to build a Variax! :)

#WishfulThinking

I know PRS has a very loyal following. I have never liked them. At least I have yet to play one that I like. So the idea of a PRS Variax doesn't really do much for me.

the idea of a PRS Variax doesn't really do much for me.

What if they made one all decked out with "Tboneous" logo's? lol "Tboneous" inlays, "Tboneous" hand painted emblems, "Tboneous" carvings, "Tboneous" strings wrapped on the ends with silk threads that after spun on them spells "Tboneous", and special function that when a swithch is thrown it kicks in an arangement of angels that sing "Tboneous"?

This is just in jest "T", I would love a guitar decked out in "Brazzy" stuff. That would be cool. Hmmmmm now let me see which guitar can I uuuuuse, lol.

I like the looks of that body Colonel.

I know PRS has a very loyal following. I have never liked them. At least I have yet to play one that I like. So the idea of a PRS Variax doesn't really do much for me.

I realized with PRS guitar, that the neck choice makes a BIG difference. I was playing some $3k and up core / custom 24's side by side with some S2's; for comparison's sake, the core's all had the 'pattern thin' neck - the S2 line all has the 'pattern regular' neck. For me, it's no question, I prefer the 'pattern regular' which is to me a 'regular' neck. The pattern thin is actually a wider at the nut neck - while also being thinner in depth. And on the models that offer a 'pattern' neck, that is actually a wider / fat neck! Just to keep things confusing..

I would love a guitar decked out in "Brazzy" stuff. That would be cool.

You on to something with the "Tboneous" model. That is promising! I can see the large scale appeal for such an awesome machine! But the "Brazzy" brand? That's just crazy talk!

I realized with PRS guitar, that the neck choice makes a BIG difference. I was playing some $3k and up core / custom 24's side by side with some S2's; for comparison's sake, the core's all had the 'pattern thin' neck - the S2 line all has the 'pattern regular' neck. For me, it's no question, I prefer the 'pattern regular' which is to me a 'regular' neck. The pattern thin is actually a wider at the nut neck - while also being thinner in depth. And on the models that offer a 'pattern' neck, that is actually a wider / fat neck! Just to keep things confusing..

It's not the playability that is an issue for me. I don't like the way they sound. The ones I've played sounded very thin to me and without character. They had tapped pickups that sounded horrible to me. Maybe if I played one with P90's the guitar would have some character.nto me they seem like a very expensive generic guitar. Blasphamy! I know...

It's not the playability that is an issue for me. I don't like the way they sound. The ones I've played sounded very thin to me and without character. They had tapped pickups that sounded horrible to me. Maybe if I played one with P90's the guitar would have some character.nto me they seem like a very expensive generic guitar. Blasphamy! I know...

Interesting! Pickups definitely make a huge difference. P90's are awesome!! And no, definitely not blasphemy! Lots of guitars, lots of styles. So many other variables, so many players, so much music..

I must say, when I plugged in the 30th custom 24, the pickups sounded really excellent. Some cool, unique tones from the dual humbuckers, and no push-pull coil tap thing, just a 5-way blade. Has some strat like sounds in positions 2 and 4; the neck pickup was loud!! Sounded great, for that saturated ripping lead tone. A bit louder / more present than a typical strat neck pickup sound.

The center and bridge positions also sounded killer / fat humbucker tone. Different enough from a Les Paul or a Fender, that I can see why some folks love 'em, and those that do not, I can see why, since it's definitely a different sound.

I would imagine it varies alot based on which model, which pickups, how many frets, semi, hollow or solid.

Plus, the amp!!!

A side note to that, I love the sound of plugging directly into the DT25 head+cab, it just rips. Great stuff, very low noise floor, even with the high gain amps. I have spent so much time just using the HD POD with the link, that it was cool to go simple..

Yeah, I think strats will always be my favorite, though I'd like to add a sweet Les Paul some day.. Just, NOT these awful 2015 models - where almost the entire line comes standard with their electronic robot tuner, and it's fugly black plastic with a weird hologram of Les Paul on the back of the headstock? TERRIBLE!!!! I can see offering that as an option - but the only 2015 Les Pauls that don't have it are like, $6-$8k

This thing is what I am referring to - and the guys at Guitar Center says it voids your warranty if you remove it!!!!

150046398-serial-xlarge.jpg