Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Anyway to adjust Piezo sensitivity ?

Working with adjusting some things on my JTV last night. I know I have some fret buzz etc.. that needs to get fixed causing some issues.  But then out of kicks and Giggles I decided to roll back the Firmware to 1.90 just to see how it sounds. I dont' have anything really setup yet so nothing really to lose.  Most of the problems when away and the modeling actually sounded better to me.   Some of the fret rattle is still there but it's not as big of a deal. It got me to thinking the problem with 2.10 might just be it's picking up a bit TOO much on what the Peizos are reporting.  Is there anyway to adjust the sensitivity of them? I know you can adjust the volume but low volume thin sound is just as bad, just quiter.  I like to use the Workbench HD, but would rather have the modelling sound good instead really thin and piercing like it does in 2.10.

Not sure if it is my imagination, but adjusting the global volume seems to behave differently then adjusting the volume per model.

Been having too much fun with the acoustic models to care at the moment!!

But I have found I need to tweak a lot of my patches (PF2/POD HD) for hi-gain palm muting to calm the piezo squawk.

Workbench is the way to make such adjustments,....

The piezo sensitivity is what it is, and there's nothing on

the circuit board for physically changing that.

What setting in Workbench are available for this? The string volume and Global?  Overall I would hate to turn down the globals as the difference between Mags and Models on the 89f is pretty big difference already.

Do you have the custom bank for the 89F models?

Not sure what you are asking here? On the 89f whe you hook up to the workbench, the custom banks contains some various models, all standard ones.  A couple of them with different tunings.  

What I noticed was the 1.9 firmware didnt' sound real thin and minmized some of the quikerness with the peizos.  This got me to thinking some of harsh sound I don't like might be the Pieozos are real senstive to any minor sting rattle.  Next week I'll get the guitar out to a luither to fix the string rattle but just wondering if the peizo senstivty could be reduced via workbench.  Hope I really don't need to stay with 1.9 as I like Workbench HD but 2.0 and 2.10 but both sound pretty bad right now. Maybe the setup will get the string ringing cleaner and 2.10 will sound better. dunno.

It got me to thinking the problem with 2.10 might just be it's picking up a bit TOO much on what the Peizos are reporting. Is there anyway to adjust the sensitivity of them? I know you can adjust the volume but low volume thin sound is just as bad, just quiter. I like to use the Workbench HD, but would rather have the modelling sound good instead really thin and piercing...

What else they changed from one firmware to the next, besides using a different individual guitar for a given model, I have no idea. What I do know is, assuming theres been no damage to the piezos,or some other electronic malfunction between the pickups and the processor, the piezo output is what it is, and doesn't change based on which firmware you have installed.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't see how one firmware version could "pick up more signal" than another, unless you go ahead and change the output by swapping out the piezos themselves. You can't get less water to come out of the tap by plugging up the drain. The signal would have to be adjusted at the source. To the best of my knowledge piezos have a fixed output. That's why you need a matched set to have even half a chance of any of this stuff working correctly...and even then there will still be variations, hence Workbench and the ability to adjust individual string volume to compensate for the inherent differences in output.

What really matters is what's done to that signal once it gets there, and that's where all the differences are. Seems to me, you either like the newer models or you don't.

But then again, perhaps I'm wildly off base...who knows.

Workbench is the way to make such adjustments,....

The piezo sensitivity is what it is, and there's nothing on

the circuit board for physically changing that.

If there was, it could probably end all problems with oversensitive piezos.

Since I'm new to JTV, I have only used FW 2.10, I'm scared to roll back and see what the differences are!!  :o

With my luck I would strongly prefer some of 1.90 and some of 2.10, I for someone with OCD, that would not be good.  :wacko: 

Since I'm new to JTV, I have only used FW 2.10, I'm scared to roll back and see what the differences are!!  :o

With my luck I would strongly prefer some of 1.90 and some of 2.10, I for someone with OCD, that would not be good.  :wacko:

Yeah, I just try to stick with 2.10 and adjust to it. There's stuff on 1.90 I miss. Some of the way the guitar reacts in 1.90 seems better than 2.10.

2.10 doesn't seem as polished as the past gen Variax firmware, but a lot of it sounds good. 

I noticed that a lot of nuances programmed into the guitars are gone. The HD firmware seems to focus more on getting more pristine sounding modeling more than anything.

Global String volume works as a digital preamp, so if you lower that, any sound issue that's caused by having the digital input being too strong can be fixed with that.

It's how I fixed strange quacking noises on my Variax 600 on alternate tunings.

Global String volume works as a digital preamp, so if you lower that, any sound issue that's caused by having the digital input being too strong can be fixed with that.

It's how I fixed strange quacking noises on my Variax 600 on alternate tunings.

Thanks! I will give this one try next week after I get it setup to get rid of any fret buzz.

Thanks! I will give this one try next week after I get it setup to get rid of any fret buzz.

Like I said, it would fix most digital input problems, but any audio problems caused before it hits the DSP can't be fixed. Usually if you get a guitar with quacking or plinking problems, you'd be best to exchange for another guitar.

This is where dials for the analogue preamp would come in handy, either that, or Line 6 needs to QC their piezos better.