Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

4cm Question! Line Vs Stomp...

Chrisnich

Hey guys!!

I just bought a Vox Night Train 50, with matching cab (sounds awsome btw). Plugged in my POD HD500 via 4CM.
Follwed the instructions by Jim Reynolds (btw very helpfull guide, thank you) to the tee. 

It helped me get my volume level equal. But the tone was very far from what its supposed to be. So I have experimented abit this is what I tried:

Set-up an FX-only patch from Jim's guide except:

- No EQ
- Switch FX loop to Line (in back of the POD)
- FX Loop - Fx block settings ( Send: -2, Return: +12, Mix 100%)
- 1/4-out remains on AMP

I've made sure that when I plug in my guitar directly (into amp) it's equal volume as the POD's 4CM. Turns the Amps FX loop on and off to make sure that those volume levels are the same aswell.

By setting the FX Loop to line, would this cause any damage to my amp?

Thanks!! ;)

post-1494240-0-43822300-1366933110_thumb.jpg

Hey Jim!

Nice to met you. When I was switching back and forth from pod 4cm to front of the amp to match my volumes (fxloop off on the amp)(with your method). To my ears, ive matched unity gain, but the tone was sucking. I've tried to push the EQ higher just to hear what it would sound like and I was still missing that something. On the distortion channel, my guitar sounded duller, and clean was thin. 

Mind you, I still didn't have a chance to push the amp past 11'oclock yet. I think that would have to be the real test to push the amp and see which method is best! The noise i was getting on line wasn't as bad as I expected. But like I said,I was playing @ low volume. 

Really hope L6 fixes the volume level between the input/fxsend next firmware update (hopefully it's not a hardware problem) :p

Yeah, be nice if the loop allowed boost as well as cut.   You would have thought it would be simples but hey, I don't design firmware for a living so what do I know.

On the sucky thing.   Fair enough, if you hear it - you hear it.   Might be worth checking.

1)  Inputs:   I run mine as input 1 = guitar, input 2 = Variax.  If you don't, it might be worth trying.

2)  Input Impedance (system setting, set per-patch).  I tend to leave mine at the default but it can have an effect on the tone so it might be worth playing with.   Higher impedance settings tend to give a harder, brighter, more focused tone and it is a taste/guitar thing.

3)  Input Pad  switch.  I tend to run mine with the Pad switched on so that, if I plug in a weedy single coil guitar, I can turn the pad off and bring the gain levels closer to the meatier humbuckers.   I think it just cuts gain but it may be worth fiddling with.

Some people have gone so far as to include a line box between the POD FX Send and Amp input to try and sort out any impedance mismatches but I don't know if that would help you.

Luck.

JIM

• Upvote 1