Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

No Line Out?

bullethead21

Was wondering if there is any way to use headphones as a line out going to the PA? When I plugged into the headphone jack on my Amplifi 150 it cut off the speakers in the amp? I would rather not have to use a mic to get sound through the PA......

I am really disappointed that there is no line out on the amp.......dealing with condenser mics is a pain and a extra cost........

I just assumed a supposed "state of the art" amp would have a line out....and did not notice at time of purchase......

How could this be over looked with a amp that has ALL these features??

Hi Mikey, I guess they were thinking if they put everything anyone could ever need or want in one product.... They would not sell as many of their other products ? Who knows?

Well, then again maybe not, the hd500x had something like 29 amps or so any they just added more for sale and guys are wanting them.

I am still working on the fender amp models mostly, Lol.

My wife doesn't like the sound of the baritone guitar going thru a metal amp! Lol.

Can't see why not.

Bloody train wreck what I could do with this amp if it had a out. I wonder if you could mod a simple out. For the love of god what were they thinking

That is what I was thinking Mikey.......a simple mod would solve this huge problem....I'm gonna look into that I think.

I mean you could get your lollipop kicked for showing up to practice with no line out on your amp in my neck of the woods....

I just don't get what they were thinking by making a amp with no line out..........it's baffling to say the least.

Same problem as the Spider IVs.  If you google it there is a youtube showing how to bypass the speaker cut-off on the Spider, I imagine this will work with the Amplifi, too - but note that it will nullify your warranty.  The one issue could be that there is only one volume control, so adjusting your amp's speaker output volume will also affect the headphone output volume (potentially overdriving the PA board input), so whoever is running the board needs to adjust accordingly.

• 1 year later...

I get a great line out from the Amplifi by connecting the USB output to a powered USB hub, and then attaching a Griffin iMic to the hub. The Amplifi main speaker still works and the output from the iMic is through a stereo jack and is in stereo. A Griffin iMic is essentially an external USB soundcard with analog stereo input and output and so it's very likely other USB analog to digital sound adapters will work (but I haven't tried any others). Incidentally I also attach my iPad to the powered hub (using the USB adapter that comes with the camera adapter package) and I can run Loopy saved loops through the PA for live performance. Loopy output also comes out through the iMic with this setup.

• 2 months later...

I get a great line out from the Amplifi by connecting the USB output to a powered USB hub, and then attaching a Griffin iMic to the hub. The Amplifi main speaker still works and the output from the iMic is through a stereo jack and is in stereo. A Griffin iMic is essentially an external USB soundcard with analog stereo input and output and so it's very likely other USB analog to digital sound adapters will work (but I haven't tried any others). Incidentally I also attach my iPad to the powered hub (using the USB adapter that comes with the camera adapter package) and I can run Loopy saved loops through the PA for live performance. Loopy output also comes out through the iMic with this setup.

I'm curious .. does this still work without the ipad connected to the usb hub? I would have thought that the amplifi and the audio interface were both usb slave devices and would need a host device to control them, which the ipad would be ..

Has anyone else tried this with any different usb audio interfaces?

I'll try it without the iPad and let you know.

BTW, it is important to make the iPad the last thing you plug into otherwise the pad detects USB devices that it cannot power. Also the iMic must be plugged in at power up or else output from Loopy gets directed to the Amplifi rather than the PA (which may be helpful when you are creating and storing Loops at home).

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried this with a Behringer U-Control UCA222 USB interface, which seems pretty similar to the Griffin iMic, but it doesn't work - I don't get any output at all - the "USB" light on this unit doesn't even illuminate,,, if I plug this into a PC the light comes on immediately. I have the same powered USB hub that you are using (Dliink DUB H4) and have the Amplifi and the interface plugged into it's USB ports. Im assuming that this how you have it connected with the iMic? (not sure how else I can connect it!)

So It seems that maybe there is something unique about the iMic that allows this to work, unless im missing something?

Rich

I have tried this with a Behringer U-Control UCA222 USB interface, which seems pretty similar to the Griffin iMic, but it doesn't work - I don't get any output at all - the "USB" light on this unit doesn't even illuminate,,, if I plug this into a PC the light comes on immediately. I have the same powered USB hub that you are using (Dliink DUB H4) and have the Amplifi and the interface plugged into it's USB ports. Im assuming that this how you have it connected with the iMic? (not sure how else I can connect it!)

So It seems that maybe there is something unique about the iMic that allows this to work, unless im missing something?

Rich

Just to be sure, you have updated the Amplifi software to enable the USB port as an output, right?

I have now managed to get hold of a Griffin iMic.. but it doesn't seem to work for me (no output)

I have the latest version of Firmware installed on my Amplifi 75, USB connected from amp to DUB H4 hub, iMic connected to the hub, but nothing..

Is there anything else that you had to do to get this to work?

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...