Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Could the HD 500x suit me?

Mo74

In attempt to get this thread back on track, I would suggest the OP check out the HD Desktop.....That is what I use...I love the form-factor for myself....I have several different situations going on and it just fits my workflow....I have no Variax and have found that I really can do without the Line 6 link even though I have a DT25 and DT50...If you need foot control, it does end up costing a little more...

Giorgos02 I accept your apology, since I'm the one you called a liar.  Most people wouldn't come back and apologize and I appreciate and respect that. 

I also understand the frustration the PODHD can cause.  It took me a long time to get what I wanted out of it but once I finally got over that hump, I'm very happy with it.  I have a pair of Marshall stacks to compare it against and very high standards.  As I'm sure a lot of people have on this forum.

Maybe some of us here could help you achieve what you've been missing.

Thank you for accepting my apology and I should thank @phil_m too, who made me realize that I misbehaved.

Do you find good results with res being set to 0 in both cab sims? I think I had tried placing res to 0 in the past, but I didn't like the tone that much. Do you guys think that this is all about? Killing the resonance and everything is good to go?

P.S: I had totally given up on Pod and I was waiting for the v2.6 to be realised so I can see if it's worth to try again. :/

P.S: I had totally given up on Pod and I was waiting for the v2.6 to be realised so I can see if it's worth to try again. :/

Even if you never use a dual amp path to produce one blended tone, try this: Set up two paths, one clean and one dirty. You can then transition between them seamlessly with the expression pedal (assign the channel volumes to the pedals min/max values accordingly). That alone is worth the price of admission. No more abrupt patch changes between really distinct tones. That is priceless for live use. Just recently discovered that myself, and I've had this thing for more than a year now.

Do you find good results with res being set to 0 in both cab sims? I think I had tried placing res to 0 in the past, but I didn't like the tone that much. Do you guys think that this is all about? Killing the resonance and everything is good to go?

The resonance at zero is really nothing more than a preference. If it sounds good to you either way then go with it. I find myself liking the resonance around 60-80 in most cases. It adds a hard-edged, aggressive character to the tone. But it also kind of depends on the type of music.

As others have said, when the resonance is at zero, it's closer to an unprocessed impulse response. It has a much smoother character. The use of this control also affects the overall volume.

I use dual cabs for most of my stuff, especially the lead tones. And I have heard, at times, the phasing/comb filter you mentioned earlier. On a guitar track all by its lonesome it might be noticeable, but effects like this can be effectively buried in a busy mix, or possibly even used to an advantage somehow.

The things that helped me the most is:

1) Input Impedance - 32k is what I use

2) Res - I reduced it slightly.

3) Input 1 Guitar, Input 2 Variax or Mic depending on which unit you have

4) Being careful not to overdrive levels anywhere in the chain.

5) Low Cut - I set it at 140hz

6) Not using too much overdrive or gain.

7) Compressors - not using too much and actually found that a compressor before and after the pre-amp helped.

I also spent a lot of time working on the guitars themselves with pickups and capacitors.  Then I used headphones to compare my sound to the sound I was trying to achieve from a CD.  This was difficult because I had to find a spot in the song I was listening to where the guitar was isolated.  Then multiple times trying it at volume and with a full band.

It was a lot of work but in the end was worth it.  Especially when compared to the amount of work and money it costs to buy a bunch of noisy pedals and do it old school.  I've never seen an easy way to get the tone you want.  Even a friend of mine who has an AXE FX said it wasn't easy for him either.  There's just too many variables, including the particular tone and feel you're looking for.

I've never seen an easy way to get the tone you want. Even a friend of mine who has an AXE FX said it wasn't easy for him either. There's just too many variables, including the particular tone and feel you're looking for.

Amen. Sometimes the missing ingredient is dumb luck. With this many knobs to twiddle, sometimes you step in good tone, lol. A "happy accident",if you will...anybody remember Bob Ross on PBS?

Thank you for the suggestion of checking out the Pod HD Desktop, and for all your other comments.

In terms of tone, I am sure many musicians here have high standards and good ears. Me? Having started on some rather cheap and nasty gear years ago I am still blown away with what modern software can sound like. And on the vids I've seen of the Pod HD it sounds great also. 

People have mentioned the HD500x comes with a bit a learning curve. I do like sound designing/playing/programming synths so I do enjoy a bit of tweaking from time to time!

Best wishes.

The PODHD Desktop isn't manufactured anymore.  There are still a bunch of new ones for sale on eBay for around $300.  I even have a brand new Desktop in the box as a spare. 

btw - the learning curve is the same for the Desktop or HD500.  It's basically the same thing, other than a few more connections on the HD500.