Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

VDI vs. 1/4" sound quality?

I know using the VDI cable avoids the D-A conversion, but is it really noticible?  Particularly for live situations, I could see where you might be able to tell if recording.  Thanks for any insight......

I really hear and feel the difference...sadly it is very noticeable. It creates 'ghost' notes that really show themselves when playing high gain amps. It also sounds sterile and loses something that the standard guitar cable adds. I started using the JTV-69 with the VDI out of the box and didn't realize the difference until I plugged in via guitar cable about a month later. I haven't used the VDI since.

Really bummed because I would like the convenience of using VDI but it is too much of a tone 'changer'

I really hear and feel the difference...sadly it is very noticeable. It creates 'ghost' notes that really show themselves when playing high gain amps. It also sounds sterile and loses something that the standard guitar cable adds. I started using the JTV-69 with the VDI out of the box and didn't realize the difference until I plugged in via guitar cable about a month later. I haven't used the VDI since.

Really bummed because I would like the convenience of using VDI but it is too much of a tone 'changer'

VDI doesn't change the tone, the 1/4 cable does. VDI is the exact signal that the Variax is making. The 1/4 cable will add whatever a guitar cable does, coloring the tone. You also have to take into consideration that with 1/4 you're going through a Digital-to-Analog conversion which can affect the sound as well.

• Upvote 1

I get how it works...just bummed that a company known for simulating amps, pickups, etc would have done a better job simulating a guitar cable. When I play with the guitar cable the guitar sounds and feels like a normal guitar when using the stock pickups. When I switch and use the VDI cable and select variax mags on the HD500 the result does not sound like a normal guitar pickup. The point it, if you are used to the imperfection of guitar --> cable ---> amp then you will like using a 1/4" cable. If not, then the VDI will suffice.

Sorry - I don't notice a significant difference when I use VDI vs 1/4 inch.  Maybe you have a longer or higher than normal capacitance guitar cable.  The 1/4 out (except when using the Mags) is low impedance amplifier output.  The cable isn't going to do the same thing that it does with Mags which are relatively high impedance.  I rarely use the mags anyway. (too noisy)

Some people prefer using really short cables so they don't have cable audio degradation. I assume this is because it's unbalanced, right?

Either way, It would be nice if there was cable simulation I suppose, but you can always try to mess with EQ filters before the amp stage.

I run my JTV through VDI live. I hear a difference but wouldn't describe it as better or worse....just different. That said I don't use high gain amps to any great degree. To be honest though I would accept some degradation in return for the extra versatility in terms of charging and auto model changing when changing patches on the POD.

The Pod HD has an Input-Z parameter that applies only to the Guitar input, not the VDI input. I'm not sure it makes that much difference, but technically it is the only DSP difference between the two input signals other than the obvious D/A and A/D conversions.

I expect the real difference is due to the length and quality of the guitar cable you are using. These factors are different for every user and I don't think they are modelled at all in the VDI DSP.

• 1 year later...

Those who say they hear no difference between VDI and a Guitar cable should try taking an acoustic Spanish guitar and rock over a Marshal amp. Sure they would love it.

it's al about wishfull thinking here.

We want the guitar cable drive!

But I agree, there is too much advantage auto modle changing.

You can't use your brain when you have an insisiting audiance.