Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Join the Line 6 Gang

dbagchee

Ugg.... I like the point of the article. But just the way it reads lets me know right of the bat, they stereo type of gear is just like the sterotyping of people.  A great guitarst makes anything sound great.  Great gear regardless of what it is doesn't make you great.

Ugg.... I like the point of the article. But just the way it reads lets me know right of the bat, they stereo type of gear is just like the sterotyping of people.  A great guitarst makes anything sound great.  Great gear regardless of what it is doesn't make you great.

GearGods tends to be pretty sarcastic ;)

I think it's pretty easy myself.

just because you have the ability to deeply tweak stuff doesn't mean you have to....

but throw together an amp and some stomp pedals.... and play... easy.

in fact they say as much on the video.

lol, I like how they make the POD out to be "easy to use", not the HD that's for sure.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad all that tweaking is available, but it takes more time than most units I've used to sculpt a great tone from scratch.

I don't think its as easy as slapping in an amp and fx and off you go either, more often than not they require the tweaking to straighten out.

Actually it wasn't the tweaking that took me the most time.  It was the damn Input 1 Input 2 issue, Input Z setting, and lack of a decent EQ that made it take longer than other units I've worked with. 

I do like it when other guitar players, especially the die hard tube amp guys, come up and ask how I get such a nice tone.  They just see the Marshall amps and don't notice the PODHD Desktop sitting there.  The few that notice and ask about it, I just tell them I use it as a Digital Pre-amp and FX instead of a bunch of pedals.  They just nod and look confused.

• Upvote 4

being a total noob and just starting out to learn the guitar, let alone the HD500 and all its options, effects, amps, cabs + mic setups, sussing out how to connect it up through an old peavey VT 112 effects loop has been fun learning, with so many settings etc to play around with, it can make my head spin heeh, although that's because I don't understand how to use the effects correctly, being new to all of this I kind of feel I jumped in the deep end, because of being just a total beginner.

although for me, what a place to start :D i'm loving it and still in awe of this unit, so much to learn and loving every second of it ..

Actually it wasn't the tweaking that took me the most time.  It was the damn Input 1 Input 2 issue, Input Z setting, and lack of a decent EQ that made it take longer than other units I've worked with. 

I do like it when other guitar players, especially the die hard tube amp guys, come up and ask how I get such a nice tone.  They just see the Marshall amps and don't notice the PODHD Desktop sitting there.  The few that notice and ask about it, I just tell them I use it as a Digital Pre-amp and FX instead of a bunch of pedals.  They just nod and look confused.

I'm pretty new here, would you please share your settings of your input 1, input 2 and input Z?

I'm pretty new here, would you please share your settings of your input 1, input 2 and input Z?

Input 1 should be either "guitar", or "variax", depending on what you're playing. Input 2 should generally be set to anything other than "same"...otherwise, you are effectively doubling the input signal that gets fed to the amp...can create problems with certain models, make things sound kinda "fizzy".

All my patches are set to one of two things:

Input 1: Variax

Input 2: Guitar,

or vice versa...

Because only Input 1 will feed the tuner, which is kind of annoying. If you want to be able to keep a JTV connected through VDI and a "normal" guitar into the 1/4" input, you can only tune the one that's assigned to Input 1. As a result, I keep separate patches for the JTV vs. my other guitars, and set the inputs accordingly...means more patch switching, but the alternative is not being able to tune 1 guitar. Not a gig-friendly scenario.

• Upvote 1

Input 1 should be either "guitar", or "variax", depending on what you're playing. Input 2 should generally be set to anything other than "same"...otherwise, you are effectively doubling the input signal that gets fed to the amp...can create problems with certain models, make things sound kinda "fizzy".

All my patches are set to one of two things:

Input 1: Variax

Input 2: Guitar,

or vice versa...

Because only Input 1 will feed the tuner, which is kind of annoying. If you want to be able to keep a JTV connected through VDI and a "normal" guitar into the 1/4" input, you can only tune the one that's assigned to Input 1. As a result, I keep separate patches for the JTV vs. my other guitars, and set the inputs accordingly...means more patch switching, but the alternative is not being able to tune 1 guitar. Not a gig-friendly scenario.

I use both regular guitars and Variax. I find Input 1: Gutiar & Variax. Input 2: Aux. to work quite well for me. The point just to set input 2 to something I'm not using.  I do have old EH Switch blade I hook up the guitar side to function as mute button though.  When I play the guitar on the Variax I just roll the volume knob on the Variax itself all the way down.

And ANY mutli-effect system is hard to use if you don't understand how to use and order the effects chain and the differneces in Amp/cab and mics.  Just like using the originals.

• Upvote 1

I use both regular guitars and Variax. I find Input 1: Gutiar & Variax. Input 2: Aux. to work quite well for me. The point just to set input 2 to something I'm not using.  I do have old EH Switch blade I hook up the guitar side to function as mute button though.  When I play the guitar on the Variax I just roll the volume knob on the Variax itself all the way down.

And ANY mutli-effect system is hard to use if you don't understand how to use and order the effects chain and the differneces in Amp/cab and mics.  Just like using the originals.

I suppose that 's a workable solution too...but I tend to have the patch itself set up for a particular guitar anyway, as any given tone won't necessarily work with any old axe that you plug into it, so I've just kept the inputs simple. Easier to keep it all straight in my head...different gutiar, different bank of tones, everything arranged accordingly. But your method is just as good...all about what works for you.

Basically if Input 1 and Input 2 are set to the same thing, it will make the input signal too high and hurt the sound.  Plus a lot of squealing too, at least for me.

Lowering Input Z (Impedance) really helped my tone cause it darkened up the sound the way I wanted.  Basically got rid of the trebly tone I didn't want.

• Upvote 1

being a total noob and just starting out to learn the guitar, let alone the HD500 and all its options, effects, amps, cabs + mic setups, sussing out how to connect it up through an old peavey VT 112 effects loop has been fun learning, with so many settings etc to play around with, it can make my head spin heeh, although that's because I don't understand how to use the effects correctly, being new to all of this I kind of feel I jumped in the deep end, because of being just a total beginner.

although for me, what a place to start :D i'm loving it and still in awe of this unit, so much to learn and loving every second of it ..

Which is one of the reasons I always suggest people start on an acoustic guitar. 

Learn to play before you fiddle with buttons. 

That is something people just don't seem to understand sometimes. You aren't just learning an instrument. You are learning an instrument, reading music, timing --- all of it. And if you are throwing in amps and sound effects... 

A lot of people quit because "I can't do it". But which part is getting in the way? 

Even me, I couldn't read music until someone showed me the bass clef. Then, it all kind of started to make sense. 

I have 1 electric guitar, an Ibanez S470, 1 acoustic\electric guitar, the Ibanez Talman TCM50-NT and 1 acoustic guitar, the Jasmine S34C, I just learning for fun, I don't think I will ever be any/very good lol although still enjoy playing around, I have a bunch of friends who play guitars, bass, drums and flute, they have been playing for around 20-30 years some of them, for fun not to make money or profession, I think only one who prob's knows how to read music is probs fred, he's is good. im not wanting to play in a band just more interested in effects and playing around really, I dout I will quit, I enjoy playing around to much and this POD HD500 inspires me even more.

this is fred play Fleetwood mac, posted by jon Norris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGbZFwb1avU

Great reminder that it is all about the playing and musical interpretation. To this very day I get asked what amps I used on a CD I was on in 2000. It was Texas rock n blues, jazzabilly, and lots of slide work kinda deal. They required me me to use a POD bean(2.0?). I had never used one being a Mesa boogie player but did at their request and everything came out great. Turned me into a Line 6er....but it truly was dial up a tone quickly and lay it down, move on....changed me and my outlook substantially and turned me into what I've called myself since...a "recovering musician."