Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

One thing that bothers me about guitars jammed with electronics

Topaz

I'm interested in getting one of these new standards.

However, I'm leery about buying rather expensive instruments that contain all these computerized type circuitry above and beyond the normal 'simple' circuitry that, of course, is easily and inexpensively fixed.

I have a Godin xtSA (a roland 13 pin midi guitar with a piezo bridge) that recently developed circuitry problems. This guitar has something like 4 or 5 circuit boards. To get it fixed outside the warranty period is not cheap.

So this is my issue... guitars with complicated electronics that can go dead and useless in the blink of an eye as opposed to a 'normal' instrument that'll last many many generations.

Manufacturers of these types of instruments need to warranty a helluva lot longer. Now I don't know Line 6's warranty offhand but never mind a $1K guitar, but can you imagine buying a $3-4K USA made Variax or other expensive computerized guitar and it failed after a few years and the warranty was up?  Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiit

• Upvote 1

Manufacturers of these types of instruments need to warranty a helluva lot longer. Now I don't know Line 6's warranty offhand but never mind a $1K guitar, but can you imagine buying a $3-4K USA made Variax or other expensive computerized guitar and it failed after a few years and the warranty was up?  Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiit

I hear Ya, I tink the same way. Although if you take the plunge and it works you'll have quite a bit of power at your finger tips once you get the hang of it.

Oh did I mention I still use an old inexespensive, off shoot, strat that I fixed up myself? Works like a charm and never fails. It even stays in tune so good all I have to do is pick it up and play.

• Upvote 1

I just want to make phone calls.

I don't even want to do that anymore, lol. 98% of the time it's a text. The vast majority of the incoming calls I get are robo-calls from exchanges that I have blocked anyway. I just get a notification that some 800 # tried to get through, and was hung up on. 3 or 4 a day on average, I'd say. Hardly anyone I know calls anymore, they all text...the minutes I pay for go essentially unused. Ridiculous waste of money...I keep swearing I won't renew the contract...yet here I am, still with this thing in my pocket. Stupid, really...

I'm not a normal cell phone user either. I bought a $30 Tracfone and every 3 months buy a $20 60 minute card to keep the account going. So far I've racked up over 2,000 minutes available for me to use if I had to.  :lol: 

Variax electronics have proven  to be fairly reliable.  Many of us have Variax guitars that are over 10 years old and they still work fine.  It's a computer but almost anything you buy today has a computer in it.

That's encouraging to hear. Since I posted I looked into some other threads and there's a concern whether or not this new standard is guts put into the cheapest of the yammy  pacifica line.  Perhaps I will go the extra couple hundred for a JTV-59.

I know those are made in Korea, but mentioning Indonesia as well, I took a chance this past holiday season went kookoo and bought a bunch of Epiphone acoustics and electrics made there and I gotta tell you the quality is absolutely fantastic and inexpensive.  I also just bought an Epi LP Goldtop Standard and, heresy upon heresy, feels and plays as well or better than my near $3K Gibson LP Traditional, which I do love so much.

Well the only draw back I have found with my new rig,(Jtv 69, hd500x, amplifi75) is that it has severely cut into my practice time.

After all, I do consider myself a musician first and not a tech geek.

I suspect things will balance out soon enough. Thanks to all you great

Folks I am actually starting to make headway, and I am finding consistency in the

Levels of my different presets.

JTV... live long and prosper! Lol!

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I bought ASYS2 ways back and it would drive me nuts hours tweaking and what sounded good sounded bad the next day and also finding out what did sound good got lost at band volume which required more tweaking. However once I did get a handle on it, man, I get/got some really  really damn sweet tones out of that amp. clean to high gain.  The XTLive I got some years later....meh.  This HD500X does sound a million times better than the XTL though imo.