Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

For the skeptics in us

spawn2031

I know it hasn't even been 24 hours yet since the release of the new model packs and FW but I know there are plenty of skeptics out there like me that are wondering if the new model packs are really worth the money so I am putting out the call for some demos / vids of some of the new models (particularly the stuff in the metal pack... nudge nudge, wink wink).

I am sure the community here would love to see some of these and hey L6... I'm sure it'll bring ya some more sales too if those packs are that rockin!

Look at you being the salesman!  No wonder they put that expert in your title  ;) .  Yes I sure could do that and I probably will but I am still a relative newbie when it comes to making tones and it's very helpful to see demos from people that know what they are doing to show us what these models can sound like with some knowledge and tweaking. 

• Upvote 1

Look at you being the salesman!  No wonder they put that expert in your title  ;) .  Yes I sure could do that and I probably will but I am still a relative newbie when it comes to making tones and it's very helpful to see demos from people that know what they are doing to show us what these models can sound like with some knowledge and tweaking. 

Not trying to sell anything... I just think the best way to see if you like the models or not is to try them for yourself. I don't have any vested interest in you buying them or not buying them. I was just letting you know that the 30-day option was there.

I thought it was ok, competent enough.

it works very cleanly, and doesn't add alot of flavor.

hard to be too glowing about an amp that does that!

i love my actual JC120, more for it's built in chorus sound than the amp itself...

but it is the amp that i use with my stomp box rig...

and it does let the pedals do the talking so to speak.

I'm very curious to hear some feedback on the Roland JC120

I've been using the Soldano Clean amp for my cleanest settings. I had a JC-120 back in the 80's and was hoping that the model would be a better choice to pair with Acoustic Variax tones.  Thoughts?

I thought it was ok, competent enough.

it works very cleanly, and doesn't add alot of flavor.

hard to be too glowing about an amp that does that!

i love my actual JC120, more for it's built in chorus sound than the amp itself...

but it is the amp that i use with my stomp box rig...

and it does let the pedals do the talking so to speak.

Not trying to sell anything... I just think the best way to see if you like the models or not is to try them for yourself. I don't have any vested interest in you buying them or not buying them. I was just letting you know that the 30-day option was there.

lol, I know.  Just messin with ya.  

Still I am the kind that I like to read plenty of feedback and reviews on something before I get it.  I prefer to go into a purchase with my expectations set correctly so I know what I should be able to get out of it.  Like I've said in other posts on here, I think the range of models that exist in the 500x is already great but there might be something even better in this new pack.

The other issue is, for me, 30 days might not be enough time to really dig into it... babies, 2 of them tend to suck away time very quickly!  Anyway, I think everyone would agree that a quick demo of the models would be at least nice to see.

I haven't had a chance to try it out with an acoustic yet, wouldn't want to alter expectations without hearing it first.

I've been using the Soldano Clean amp for my cleanest settings. I had a JC-120 back in the 80's and was hoping that the model would be a better choice to pair with Acoustic Variax tones.  Thoughts?

The thing about users posting videos or sound clips is that there are so many other variables involved that it's really not a good indication of how the whatever-it-is will sound when played by you in your environment. I think Customtone is a good illustration of that. I'm sure everybody who posts a tone that claims to sound like so-and-so really believes it does. And it probably does - with their guitar, their monitor/amp, their fingers, their room, their outboard equipment, .......etc. But when I download it and listen to it on my equipment, well... not so much.

Of course, some tone-makers and videographers create some really good stuff. But unless you know the source I wouldn't rely on the demo. And that is especially true if you don't think the demo sounds good. I think you would be doing yourself a disservice to listen to a few poorly prepared videos or demos and conclude that the product isn't good.

Yes I sure could do that and I probably will but I am still a relative newbie when it comes to making tones and it's very helpful to see demos from people that know what they are doing to show us what these models can sound like with some knowledge and tweaking. 

Yeah, if you are fairly new to building tones, it's probably a good idea to get the most out of the current models so you will better equipped to evaluate the new model packs, especially if you no not already have a good "amp vocabulary".

silverhead makes a great point, don't know how many times I see users wonder why a patch they find from a youtube video doesn't sound the same.

And don't let phil fool you, he used his fast talking salesmanship to con Line6 in giving him a badge.

Yeah, I hear you on the issue with the tones only sounding as advertised if you have all the same variables in place.  I think anyone that has been on this board enough has seen that issue time and time again.  I don't think I have found a single tone on custom tone that has sounded good without alot tweaking first... well maybe one or two.

Although here is the flip side of that coin, there is a sticky on here that shows how to make particular tones from scratch to sound like particular artist.  Obviously the same argument could be made against that on it being useless as well for all the same reasons.  Still it is a good educational tool on how to build tones.  All I am saying is that a demo video of the new tones would give a lot of people a good clue as to what CAN be done with the new models, or even what they were intended to sound like.  Not everyone knows what a Shiva is supposed to sound like ya know?  Which does bring up one other question since I got all the L6 guys in this thread.  The L6 specific models in the metal pack like Insane.. are they modeled after something specific or it just L6's attempt at coming up with their own something awesome?

Yeah, I hear you on the issue with the tones only sounding as advertised if you have all the same variables in place.  I think anyone that has been on this board enough has seen that issue time and time again.  I don't think I have found a single tone on custom tone that has sounded good without alot tweaking first... well maybe one or two.

Although here is the flip side of that coin, there is a sticky on here that shows how to make particular tones from scratch to sound like particular artist.  Obviously the same argument could be made against that on it being useless as well for all the same reasons.  Still it is a good educational tool on how to build tones.  All I am saying is that a demo video of the new tones would give a lot of people a good clue as to what CAN be done with the new models, or even what they were intended to sound like.  Not everyone knows what a Shiva is supposed to sound like ya know?  Which does bring up one other question since I got all the L6 guys in this thread.  The L6 specific models in the metal pack like Insane.. are they modeled after something specific or it just L6's attempt at coming up with their own something awesome?

+1. Yes the same thing does very much apply to the sticky patch videos! Tryed that the first time on those and did not get the same tones but like always in the ball park just some tweaking to get something good.

The L6 models in the pack are some of the popular old tones from the older units.  They were some L6 attempting a mixing matching certian preamps and poweramps they thought created some goodness. I beleive some of them were so requested by users to come back that well they did.

Yeah, my first introduction to L6 was a Toneport UX1, I had some great metal tones coming out of that with very little messing around.  Unfortunately I cannot remember which amp models I was using there.  Got rid of the UX1 in favor of the 500x so I could play live with it.  Great little device though.