Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV FW 2.21 - What's New In It?

I have been watching the issues and comments with the new HD X updates, and will probably be doing the updating this weekend when I have time to do an orderly transition so as not to lose patches I've been working on all along, both with the HD500X & my 2 JTV's. In amongst the many software updates and FW updates, I saw this one:

Flash Memory       Version 2.21
Released 1/6/15

Works with:
James Tyler Variax

No one that I can see has commented on it, or said what it addresses. The release date is odd as it showed up with the recent group of new stuff late yesterday, and I have been checking from time to time over the past few months to make sure I haven't missed anything. There are no notes as they usually include for FW updates.

The last JTV FW update was 2.10 on 4/22/14, and was at the same time as the Workbench software was updated to allow use via the 500(X), etc. Large amount of info on what it was all about. Not so this time. Any thoughts here? When I update this FW, I assume it will reset all the models I've tweaked, so I should (of course) save my tweaked JTV models, I assume? I have tweaked both my 59 & 69S failry extensively....

Curious for input from L6....

Thanks,

Dave

• Upvote 1

I suspect this brings full compatibility with

========

POD HD500X Flash Memory v2.60 RELEASE NOTES

POD HD500X v2.60 is a FREE firmware update that includes additional features and optimizations. It is highly recommended that all POD HD500X users perform this update! It is also recommended that you back up your current presets by using POD HD500X Edit to create a preset bundle, allowing you to include installing new presets as part of the update process. The easiest way to perform the update process is by installing the latest version of Line 6 Monkey. Once you've connected your POD HD500X to your computer via USB port (hubs are not supported), Monkey will recognize the unit and take you through the update process. The Line 6 Monkey application may be downloaded here.

What's New?

Global EQ — Global EQ is used for compensating for the wide disparity in acoustic environments on tour or when traveling from studio to studio, and is applied to all setlists and presets. Global EQ features three fully parametric bands plus variable low and high cut filters.

To access Global EQ:

Press and hold the VIEW button to open the Setup Menu.

Using the four-way, cursor right until you see the Global EQ screen.

Turn Knob 1 to select the desired EQ band (Low Cut, Low, Mid, High, High Cut) and turn Knobs 2, 3, and/or 4 to adjust the selected band.

To bypass or enable Global EQ, press ENTER.

NOTE—Due to L6 LINK’s flexible routing, Global EQ is not available at this output.

Support for optional Model Packs—Firmware 2.6 supports three new Amp/Cab Model Packs:

Metal Pack—includes models based on* modern heavy gain amps like the Peavey® 5150® and a remastered JCM800

Vintage Pack—includes models based on* classics like the Vox® AC30 Fawn and the Orange® OR80

Bass Pack—includes models based on* an Ampeg® SVT and a GK Gallien-Kruger 800RB

Model Packs can be purchased here.

Variax Presets—Firmware 2.6 adds an additional “VARIAX†setlist of 64 presets, optimized for use with Line 6 Variax guitars. Selecting a preset from this setlist may recall a particular guitar model and tuning in a connected Variax.

Known Issues

Set List Names—If during the update process new presets are optionally loaded to overwrite the previous set, Set List names may not correlate to the new presets appropriately. This is because renaming Set Lists is not a part of the firmware update process. Set List names may be changed in the hardware using a variety of methods:

System Reset—Pressing (and holding down) the four-way navigation pad to the left while powering up will perform a Global Settings reset. This action will reset all settings to their factory default and requires a recalibration of the on-board expression pedal. Instructions for pedal calibration can be found here. Due to the pedal recalibration, it is generally recommended to update the Set List names using the manual method described below.

Manual—Set Lists may be renamed manually by simply highlighting a Set List name and pressing the SAVE button. Use the four encoders beneath the main display and press SAVE to complete.

The presets in firmware v2.60 correlate to the following Set List names, as seen in the main display from left to right, top to bottom:

BEST OF HD

FX HEAVY

SONGS / STYLE

BASS/ACO/VOC

L6LINK DT

VARIAX

USER 1

USER 2

FAQ For more information about POD HD500X, the POD HD FAQ can be found here.

Advanced User's Guide The latest version of the Advanced User's Guide for the PODHD500X can be found here.

* All product names are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with Line 6. The product names and images are provided for the sole purpose of identifying the specific products that were studied during Line 6's sound model development.

========

And

The soon to be released Line-6 Fire Hawk Floor Processor /

The FireHawk Editor will allow Variax WorkBench Editing on ( Win/OSX/IOS ) iPads and Android tablets

http://line6.com/firehawk-fx-multi-effects-pedal/

Actually -- the  stated 1/6/15 release date is suspect to me, because as I said, I would at least once a week check the available software downloads, and up until last Tuesday's releases, the newest item in the list was the AMPLIFi FW 2.10 releases dated 12/11/14.

Stevekc is probably on to something though -- everything in his post really didn't have anything to do with the JTV's EXCEPT the Fire Hawk Floor Processor -- that does have the Variax VDI port, so maybe it's related to that. If that's the case, it would bring up compatibility issues with the early generation of Variaxes, as no new FW has been offered for those, but again the HD Worbench does not work for that generation either....

If it were compatibility issues, I would have expected the FW version to stay in the 2.10 range -- maybe 2.15, but his was more of a major move to 2.21... Just surprised there are no informational notes on the revision, as there normally are....

Curiouser and couriouser...

Dave

Actually -- the  stated 1/6/15 release date is suspect to me, because as I said, I would at least once a week check the available software downloads, and up until last Tuesday's releases, the newest item in the list was the AMPLIFi FW 2.10 releases dated 12/11/14.

I checked a couple weeks ago and didn't see it either.

Maybe it was released internally on that date for testing with the Firehawk.

I doubt there's anything significant in there, as it was released with absolutely no fanfare...Not to mention the fact that no one seems to have noticed it sitting there for the last 2+ months, lol. Not even the uber-obsessed firmware-ites who frequent the boards. Generally speaking, if nobody knows that something exists, how necessary could it possibly be? :P

I doubt there's anything significant in there, as it was released with absolutely no fanfare...Not to mention the fact that no one seems to have noticed it sitting there for the last 2+ months, lol. Not even the uber-obsessed firmware-ites who frequent the boards. Generally speaking, if nobody knows that something exists, how necessary could it possibly be? :P

It is NOT there for 2 months... I don't even understand why they say 2 months on over there... Last week it wasn't there...

It is NOT there for 2 months... I don't even understand why they say 2 months on over there... Last week it wasn't there...

OK then...and I'm only saying this because I care...there are plenty of decafeinated brands on the market that are just as tasty as the real thing.

If you want,  I'll be outraged too... One for all, all for one! Go team!

3...2...1...everybody download!!! Crash the site!!! BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! ;)

• Upvote 1

I would not be surprised if it is driven by the Workbench SW update and making the JTV FW match some feature they wanted to better support both the the Variax Standard and the JTVs. But that being said, i would not want to touch it either until we know what it's for.

I'm an engineer, and I deal with equipment where the firmware version is pretty critcal, so I read spec's and the dirty details. Usually, the numbering of FW versions is significant to document the improvement of the equipment's functions and abilities. A FW number change from x.x1 to x.x2 is usually a minor change to fix a bug or small function. x.1x to x.2x usually is a significant change to improve the functions of it, and 1.xx to 2.xx is a major function or large change.

I took a look at the FW history I could glean off the download page for the JTV.

1.71 -- Has rolled off the list -- I believe it was pretty early on and shipped with the JTV's, think we had 1.74 also...
1.80 -- Also rolled off the list -- Acoustic update -- pretty siginificant, caused much talk on the boards
1.82 -- 5/16/12 -- Fixed a glitch in the acoustics -- function fix, from a programming standpoint
1.90 -- 11/7/12 -- Palm Muting improvement, and special high gain custom model group for the JTV-89, seemed significant
2.00 -- 8/15/13 -- Introduction of the HD guitar models. Was a total redesign of the JTV modeling system
2.10 -- 4/22/14 -- Needed to allow HD WB to work through the POD HD family -- very significant improvement
2.21 -- 1/16/15 -- Unknown Changes, actually not released to public until POD HD X family FW 2.60 revision on 3/31/15

The change from 2.00 to 2.21 indicates to me a significant functional change, but not a total redesign, plus one minor revision prior to release. It may just be the abiltiy to use HD WB with Firehawk FX and its PC, iPad, & Android interfaces. I wouldn't probably NEED it with the 2.60 500(X) & HD WB updates, but would kinda like to know if I should go ahead with the JTV 2.21 FW, or just pass... I don't have and don't plan on getting the Firehawk FX I'm probably going to wait and see if I have any issues without 2.21 and the new HD X stuff. I am planning on doing the full set of POD HD model packs.

I know from my work, that documentation usually lags behind the work... I'm hoping at some point to hear or see the changes stated somewhere -- preferably in the FW notes...

You will notice, though that the HD WB version change went from 2.10 to 2.12 in this most recent release to add support for the Variax Standard -- minor revision. I don't believe they're shipping the Standards yet. There is no Firehawk FX software on the download page, but space for it... I'm guessing the JTV FW 2.21 maybe jumped the gun on the download page...

Dave

I did it, noticable change it is slower to read the variax on worjbench... also new workbench avaliable. 

...It may just be the abiltiy to use HD WB with Firehawk FX and its PC, iPad, & Android interfaces...

...seems that bluetooth i/f is ...slow 'n furious :P

• Upvote 1

Opened Monkey and connected to my JTV....here's what it is:

Clicking the 'Update Selection' button will update this selected item.

Adds support for Variax Standard
Fixes bug where Alt Tuning window within Workbench HD would show scrambled text

Well I bit the bullet and upgraded both my JTV 59 & 69S to the new 2.21 FW. I have no bad effects from it. Seems it is a bit easier to get usable tones on my JTV's with Workbench, but it may just be me.....

Arislaf mentioned it made it slower to read from the guitar to WB. Well, I don't know if it's actually slower. When I first hooked up my 69S to WB, it seemed to take a long time, but the second time I opened the WB with the 69S, it zipped like I remember. Then when I changed to the 59, it took a while again, then later sessions with that guitar zipped. I think the program must keep a running buffer of the guitar's patches for the next session. When I hooked the other model up after using WB last with the first one, it would recognize a different JTV and have to read the full data for the "new" guitar from scratch.

I've had no bad effects from the new FW, though I do wish they'd note whatever changes they felt made it necessary. I ended up loading my pre update presets I had back into the 69S. I had spent a lot of time leveling the volumes of the strings and the patches.

Was still not shot with the Spank bank -- I found the strat body makes the pickups lose most of the volume. As a test, I changed the body to the Masonite plank, like I'd heard some else do for the spank -- the volume of the strat PU models jump up. I then tried the Neutral body, still decent volume, then back to the strat body and the volume went WAY down. When I had worked with it before, I found I had to put 2 pickups in series instead of parallel to pump the volume up, then cut the tone pot value to a much smaller value than stock. I would try different volume pot values, and tone cap values to get it where I wanted it, then boost the PU volumes' db adjustments... For neck & bridge only PU's, I used 2 of the same, stacked them in the same position, then put them in series.

Anyway, thought I'd give an update....

Dave

I upgraded my JTV to v2.21 yesterday.  Before I did the update, I backed up my models and I reset my GLOBAL STRING levels to zero.   Previously I had made some significant changes at Global String levels and also within individual models to cater for the significant string volume imbalance within individual models I got when I installed v2.1 on my JTVs (not to be confused with intended volume difference between strat and lp models due to different modelled pick ups).  So the intention was to see what v2.21 sounded like with a clean slate and a fresh reload of all the factory models, and then I could always reload my previous altered models and reset GLOBAL string levels if necessary.

The updates went smoothly and when I tested them with my HD500 patches I didn't hear any string volume imbalance on the models as I had done with the initial v2.1 install.  I did not reset my GLOBAL string levels and I did not reset individual model outputs to increase volume - everything seemed great straight off the bat.

I have not done exhaustive testing yet - I have only played through my HD500 with headphones - but previously the v2.1 differences really stood out with exactly the same test, it was so easy to hear the different string level responses, but now under v2.21. the string levels seem to be balanced as expected on the models.

This may well just be down to some peculiarity of the re-flash process, but for me at least, it has fixed the string volume imbalance issue.  I know many people did not have an issue when v2.1 came out but I also remember many people, like me, complaining about it.   Maybe it's worth them trying the update just to see if they also get the string volume imbalance issue fixed?    I know Dave (the OP) has said he still needed to reload his previous adjusted models to bring back his string volume adjustments for his models, but for me it seems to have fixed the issue, so YMMV.              :)     

• Upvote 2

I also updated my JTV69 and replaced all my banks with the new factory ones.  Well, newly installed anyways.  I haven't done an A/B with the older factory banks but I can say that I find these ones don't need any adjustments.  So far I am happy with them just the way they are.  I may still reload some custom models I made previously but so far so good.  To be honest, I rarely use most of the models.  I love the Lester, Special and Semi models.  The acoustics are great too.  The Spank is OK, seems better than before to me.  Tele is not so hot for me and needs work but that is just me.  I don't have one to compare with so not commenting on its realism.  I rarely use the other models and will probably overwrite them with modified models, except for the sitar, banjo and resonators.  Still, this is by far my favorite guitar... no complaints...

JTV firmware update should be concerned with Variax Standard or with a Workbench display issue.

Before the update, if I were to flash my 89F, the alt tuning in WB would display gibberish, although the actually tunings themselves were fine. If I manually renamed the gibberish to meaningful names it would stick.

However, if I re-flashed, the gibberish would reappear (different or blank each time), so it would seem it was a minor bug in the FW and not WB.

Monkey still says 2.10. Wtf?

Are you on the latest version of Monkey?  That is 1.7.

First thing I did was run Monkey which told me there was a newer version and would I like to install it - I said yes.  Then once that had updated. I connected up my HD500 with my JTV and ran it again - I selected JTV from the popup at the beginning and then it told me there was new software for it. 

Are you on the latest version of Monkey?  That is 1.7.

First thing I did was run Monkey which told me there was a newer version and would I like to install it - I said yes.  Then once that had updated. I connected up my HD500 with my JTV and ran it again - I selected JTV from the popup at the beginning and then it told me there was new software for it. 

Monkey doesn't prompt to install a new version.

Monkey doesn't prompt to install a new version.

That implies that Monkey is the latest version - so to confirm - what do you see on the Monkey pop up splash screen between Line 6 Monkey and the Copyright lines?  I see 1.70.  Do you see the same?

OK - then I think you need to raise a support ticket with Line 6.  Monkey 1.70 should be able to determine that v2.21 is latest for JTV and not v2.10.  It should take you through the necessary steps. 

Or if you prefer, you can try to do the install manually by downloading the relevant update files from the Line 6 Support DOWNLOAD area - that shows v2.21 as the latest JTV fw and gives you an option to download it directly.   I have never tried the manual install - I have always used Monkey as it points out which parts need to be updated - so your first step is to run Monkey to see which components it associates with your JTV (even though it says v2.1 is latest) - just to see what components you need to check eg; DRIVERs, USB, FLASH etc ...   then you need to check the download page to see what the latest version of each of those components are and install them accordingly.  For example, you may need updated Drivers so they should be done first, then updated USB code, then updated flash.

I am sorry I can't be more precise with the manual install stuff - but I have seen plenty of people in other threads say they have done it that way - so there should be plenty of users out there who can help you if you choose to go that way.

Hope you get it fixed.