Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV FW 2.21 - What's New In It?

OK - then I think you need to raise a support ticket with Line 6.  Monkey 1.70 should be able to determine that v2.21 is latest for JTV and not v2.10.  It should take you through the necessary steps. 

Or if you prefer, you can try to do the install manually by downloading the relevant update files from the Line 6 Support DOWNLOAD area - that shows v2.21 as the latest JTV fw and gives you an option to download it directly.   I have never tried the manual install - I have always used Monkey as it points out which parts need to be updated - so your first step is to run Monkey to see which components it associates with your JTV (even though it says v2.1 is latest) - just to see what components you need to check eg; DRIVERs, USB, FLASH etc ...   then you need to check the download page to see what the latest version of each of those components are and install them accordingly.  For example, you may need updated Drivers so they should be done first, then updated USB code, then updated flash.

I am sorry I can't be more precise with the manual install stuff - but I have seen plenty of people in other threads say they have done it that way - so there should be plenty of users out there who can help you if you choose to go that way.

Hope you get it fixed.

Did the new firmware come with the Workbench update or is that a separate monkey update? Monkey updated for Workbench HD, not the guitar. I can try to reinstall monkey.

Did the new firmware come with the Workbench update or is that a separate monkey update? Monkey updated for Workbench HD, not the guitar. I can try to reinstall monkey.

Yes. Monkey detected both JTV fw update and WB HD update, so I selected them and applied them one at a time.

Clay-man --

Your Win OS is 3, coming up on 4 versions back from current. Do you have another pc you can try with a newer Windows OS version?

Frankly, I really doubt that the firmware is actually incompatible with XP, it's just the listed group of OS's when it was developed. I think Monkey is ignoring it just because it's not in the approved "list" of fairly recent OS's. You might try this -- When you go to the download page (actually you probably did this, but for the sake of argument.. ) turn off the OS filter (choose ALL) -- you'll see 2.21, download and then save it. Then, use Monkey to install it from the PC -- hopefully Monkey will not block it due to XP not being on the "list". Surprised that the newest Monkey 1.70 is ok for XP, but not the FW 2.21. I'd guess it was left-hand/right-hand syndrome amongst their software coders (Monkey and FW, not necessarily done by the same bunch).... One of those forehead-slap moments...

Just a thought.

Dave

• Upvote 1

You also don't see the oldest FW versions if you set the OS to Win 8 in the OS pull down. The website detects the OS and sets the pull-down automatically. I'd bet if I were to download the very first FW and "load from file" with Monkey, I'd be able to. It's just a data file. It's been 456.13 KB since version 1.90. The file size increased from 128 KB in the 1.7X generation FW to 440 KB in FW1.81 -- that's when they added the HD acoustic models. When they added the rest of the HD models, it increased to the current 456 KB level...

Like I said in an earlier post, FW numbers do have significance... BTW, in that post, I was guessing at earlier FW versions because I wasn't seeing them on my Win 8.1 machine (as auto-detected). The earliest FW I saw was 1.82. When I set it to "All OS" -- I see 'em all.

Dave

Installed it and let it overwrite my patches. Workbench downloaded much slower, and the models sound the same as before. Strat is still too quiet. Gonna reload my own.

Ok, I think I'm going to pass on this firmware update for sure then.

Yeah, I mentioned the WB guitar refresh speed too. I have 2 JTV's, and when I switch between them on WB, it has to re-read ALL the data from the one I switched to. After that it zips when I fire it up with the same JTV.

On the spank bank -- they modeled the relative volume differences in the different guitars. I don't care for that and I even them out with the mag levels -- I leave a little difference, but at least get them in the same ball park. My 69S's SC mags are a lot lower level than the 59's HB's, so I try to match the guitar's level. I leveled them out using the 69S. I then copied the bundle to my 59 and had to raise whatever I ended up with by about +5 to +6 db on the patch volume.

The spank is the model I struggle with the most, as I compare the tonality of the spank's with the 69S's sound and adjust the volume & tone resistor values and the cap values to get the tone & levels to try to emulate the 69S mags. I always make it save the tone settings, as I roll the 69S tone knob back past halfway to get the mag tone I want. I've played my Strat for about 30 years and know what I want it to sound like.

Dave

• Upvote 1

Good to know, thanks!

credit goes 2 dave + arislaf :)

I did it, noticable change it is slower to read the variax on worjbench... also new workbench avaliable. 

Arislaf mentioned it made it slower to read from the guitar to WB. Well, I don't know if it's actually slower. When I first hooked up my 69S to WB, it seemed to take a long time, but the second time I opened the WB with the 69S, it zipped like I remember. Then when I changed to the 59, it took a while again, then later sessions with that guitar zipped. I think the program must keep a running buffer of the guitar's patches for the next session. When I hooked the other model up after using WB last with the first one, it would recognize a different JTV and have to read the full data for the "new" guitar from scratch.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

I received my JTV-59 in January 2015.  Based on the serial number it was built in late 2014.  The guitar was shipped from the line 6 factory directly to my local Guitar Center.  I was surprised when I finally got around to checking the guitar's firmware a few days ago that it was v1.9 (the factory siad they would update it to the latest version).  So I used Monkey to update to v2.21.  Everything went well.  And although the acoustic and Lester models were improved, most of the other models were not anywhere near the volume and quality of the earlier firmware.  In particular, the Spank model lacked volume and quality.  In addition, several of the models had the problem with the low output on the high E and B strings. 

I read many posts on the forum on the v1.9 vs HD models.  I have experience with Variax guitars as I had a Variax 300 (which I traded in for the JTV-59) so I am not a complete novice.  So I rolled back to v1.9 and all the volume and other issues disappeared.   I saw that some people have been successful by reinstalling the latest firmware several times.   And although I don't understand why this worked I may try it.  Also several people set the global string volume to 0 before updating.  Again I am not sure why this helps.

As I had no previous experience with the HD models (2.0, etc) I really didn't know what to expect. 

I welcome any ideas as to how I can improve the sounds using v2.21.

Do you think there is something incorrect (when compared to normal/original guitars) or is it just different from 1.9 (in which case you could just adjust your amp to get what you want/like).

I received my JTV-59 in January 2015.  Based on the serial number it was built in late 2014.  The guitar was shipped from the line 6 factory directly to my local Guitar Center.  I was surprised when I finally got around to checking the guitar's firmware a few days ago that it was v1.9 (the factory siad they would update it to the latest version).  So I used Monkey to update to v2.21.  Everything went well.  And although the acoustic and Lester models were improved, most of the other models were not anywhere near the volume and quality of the earlier firmware.  In particular, the Spank model lacked volume and quality.  In addition, several of the models had the problem with the low output on the high E and B strings. 

I read many posts on the forum on the v1.9 vs HD models.  I have experience with Variax guitars as I had a Variax 300 (which I traded in for the JTV-59) so I am not a complete novice.  So I rolled back to v1.9 and all the volume and other issues disappeared.   I saw that some people have been successful by reinstalling the latest firmware several times.   And although I don't understand why this worked I may try it.  Also several people set the global string volume to 0 before updating.  Again I am not sure why this helps.

As I had no previous experience with the HD models (2.0, etc) I really didn't know what to expect. 

I welcome any ideas as to how I can improve the sounds using v2.21.

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=138.0

• Upvote 1

Do you think there is something incorrect (when compared to normal/original guitars) or is it just different from 1.9 (in which case you could just adjust your amp to get what you want/like).

Nothing's "broken", per se. They just modeled a different Strat for the newer firmware. Some like it, some don't. The differences in levels coincide with what one would experience if you were A/B-ing the actual guitars...anything with humbuckers is gonna put out a hotter signal than single coils, so it is with the models. This drives some people up a wall, others not so much. Since I tend to have patches on the POD set for use with a particular guitar (or model if its the JTV), this doesn't really bother me. You could also level out the models in Workbench, and then save them to the guitar how you like 'em. There's always a work-around...

I switched back to 2.21 from 1.9 and decided to boost the signal from the JTV with a preamp (going into my Ultrasound amp).  This gave me the ability to adjust the volume for each model (something you do with the settings in your POD) using the volume control on the guitar.  It certainly improved my impression of the Strat model when it is louder.   (A common issue for most people.) I still think there is room for improvement but it is workable. 

Thanks for the info.

Don't get how people complain about the strat/single coil models being quieter, because they're supposed to? You don't complain about that with an actual Strat do you? Even then, you can literally boost the signal via workbench.