Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

So are we HD500 users second class costumers?

Dshow

Personally, I won't be jumping onto the update immediately, it would be wise to hold off a while after its release and

keep an eye out for others having unforeseen bugs and issues like 2.6 did for the X users, which later got the 2.61 fix. 

its not to do with instruction sets, its probs more likely to with the optimising correctly for the 333hz chip, so the HD500 can have it too, like its been said I find this fair enough.

it's here when its here and if we moan to much, they might as well drop support for the hd500 and just work with the 500x. lol

they are probs pushing the 400mhz Gen3 ADSP chip to its max capabilities and having a bit of a harder time with the slower HD500 333mhz chip.

having the HD500 and still getting Firmware updates 5 years later, whats to moan about really ?

its the tech why I got the pod HD500,not to improve my playing skill heeh, I have to wait for my mates when they come around who don't understand the tech but like it so I try and learn a bit of guitar from them and they learn a little bit about effects and modelling, its a fair trade off lol and the bonus for me is l love the tech so want to start getting into it, which has led me to finding out as much as I can about the chips being used for the DSP\s in these devices, this will give myself a well informed buying choice when wanting to take things further,

the HD500 was my first look and play with this tech which I want to learn more about. as like I say I enjoy learning this type of stuff. 

yea I understand that, I try my best, but im no natural put it that way lol :)

luckly though I have some good friends who put up with my lack of talent, heeh I understand it will take me years lol bit at a time, I don't want to become an expert player although just good enuff to have fun and jam with my mates ...

reality is don't think there enough years left to do it , im that bad lol

still fun playing around, and get to hear what this hardware can do, that is when someone who plugs a guitar into it can play one heeh, although it does truly inspire me to want to learn even more ..

Hey I have a friend who bought lots of cool techy stuff for guitar, keyboards, drums, bass and he could play all of them but wasn't very good.  However he had a lot of fun and that's all that mattered.  Not everyone is going to be pro, there's a lot of hobbyists who like to just play with gizmos. 

• Upvote 4

I think NucleusX is right. The HD is awesome but alot of time is sucked into the plethora of options and that rabbit hole can get quite deep. I took a page from one of our other guys here  (Smrybacki) and went back to basics with just amp models so I could get back to playing. As your skill improves (no need to be a pro mind you) all the effects and options become more usable rather than novelty. IMO of course. Sometimes I can't hear the tone through the gear myself :)

Good luck in all you do my man!

B

Joel makes a good point. I've always been a gear nerd, but fortunately I found that I had the talent to play too.

Even if you don't get good as a guitarist, there's room for people like you as a technician, or roady, doing the

important technical work for other musicians that can't do it themselves, so I don't think your wasting your time.

I'm an electronics tech by trade, and I do all of my own technical work, and i'll admit that's been very handy

for me and the other musicians I have collaborated with. I've learnt so much in 20 years, and I'm still learning !

BillBee also makes a good point from a musician perspective, the POD HD can be a rabbit-hole with so many

options to tweak (which I'm personally thankful for), but all too many times found myself in a state of mental

paralysis, due to having too many options, but that's what the POD HD is all about, so finding a personal

balance between tweaking and playing is something we all should try to find peace with, however that may be.

• Upvote 1

NucleusX, you hit the nail on the head, its kind of what im doing, although I would like to learn the guitar so I can jam with them (we hire out a local barn although me and drummer dave would like to add some effects (they are old boy's and couple of them done believe in effects but starting to see what they can do with them) so because I am in to gadgets and tech I have started buying the odd peace of hardware to take along to practice. and they have said it would be handy if I learn the sound setup side of things, which im trying to do But I want to learn how to play myself just for fun.

I have been looking at the Yamaha MG16XU but again don't know much about whats good and whats not, although for the money I think its probs the best I can get ?

oh well I just picked one up from the store :)

I will let you know what we think of it .. looks a nice bit of kit

On the subject of 2nd class users if you have a 'Dream Rig', putting all your money in Line 6 gear, then you can't use the Global EQ functionality over L6 Link. I don't remember them advertising THAT before going live!

Is it true that the Global EQ is designed not to work when connecting DT amps to a 500X via L6 Link?  If so, that is a bummer.  I was really looking forward to the Global EQ with my Dream Rig.

its not designed that way intentionally....

the overall design of the L6Link makes it much more DSP intensive, and cant be enabled without using more DSP... which could cause peoples tones not to work... 

so yes... they decided against implementing it.

Is it true that the Global EQ is designed not to work when connecting DT amps to a 500X via L6 Link?  If so, that is a bummer.  I was really looking forward to the Global EQ with my Dream Rig.

the flaw to your argument though is that line 6 released the 500x not because it was "new and better" but because the old dsp chips int he 500 were no longer available so literally, they couldn't make anymore.. the 500X  exists because of that. The 500x was/is exactly like the 500 except for the newer dsp which allows a little more to be added in the chain.. the newer switches, etc are just dressing.. things they figured they would address since 500 users had complained about them...there is no real "Cheating" of the customers going on at all

There's no flaw in how I felt, sorry.

The reasons it happened this way are a separate issue.

It's a 5 year old product that didn't change until they couldn't buy the chips for it anymore.  Then they added some better buttons since they had to make a change anyway.  It's not like they've been changing it every 6 months.

2.62 firmware is available for the hd500 but website says model packs are not yet...... Maybe they are and the wbsite needs to be updated?  I'll bite and "beta test" the firmware.  You need the firmware to load the model packs and don't use my hd500 much anyway.. I loved the form factor but moved on. Still the Anderson blackface from a pod1 is intersting to me. I always loved my old pod 2.01..

2.62 and the model packs are now live for POD HD500, HD Pro, and HD Bean users.

HD500X and HD Pro X users should also update to 2.62, as it fixes a bug.

was it the eq bug that was fixed? may i suggest listing the detailed bugfix/changelog on the firmware description in the downloads section?

OK, guys get your HD500 units updated and start testing this update for me. :P  I will wait at least a month for any possible bugs to fall out I think.

-Max

You can roll back to previous firmware anytime if you don't like the update.

Rolling back the firmware if I discover a problem in the middle of a gig is just not feasible. If I just used the thing for playing at home I would have no problem with updating now, but I depend on this thing for a gigs.

-Max

At some point in the life of people who use digital devices they must get the nerve to update the software on them and learn how to maintain it also. Generally, I don't just "tippy toe" in the water I just jump in but only after testing the depth so as not to break my neck. lol. I wouldn't gig with it until I used the update for a while in order build confidence. This raises the question don't guitarist's have a back up that they can switch to if they have an issue with their amp on stage? I would think I would have an AB switch that I could run to just in case, lol, or a sound guy that immediately kicks in with the switch. Surely there must be a plan. :)

As soon as I can, I plan on "taking on" these model packs Line 6 created, somehow I just know I'm not going to regret it and if I do I've got 30 days to complain.

Plus since "Peter" explained one way to use the "para EQ" I'm having more fun since shaping the tone of an amp can do wonders. Although I do like the RAW sound of an amp from time to time. :) I really dig the fact that I can use modeling to get the different amp sounds. After all, if I had to buy all those amps I would have to store them and maintain them which would cost me a fortune. Not to mention the amount of noise I would make while trying to record them, lol. To me it's "Amazing and Very Cool".

As for the original topic I do not feel like a second class customer since I've had more good experiences than bad with Line 6 products plus they've taught me a thing or two about digital recording and made it fun for me to learn about computers and playing guitar. I kinda feel like this thread is more sarcastic than sincere, lol.

...... I kinda feel like this thread is more sarcastic than sincere, lol.

Actually, the thread was misinterpreted and hijacked from the beginning. The title talks about poor attire during dress-up activities. Don't know why we got all technical about it.

Actually, the thread was misinterpreted and hijacked from the beginning. The title talks about poor attire during dress-up activities. Don't know why we got all technical about it.

A thread is like box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get, lol

Good thread, Bad thread what the hecks the difference once it goes off topic, lol.

Whenever I read a thread It's like exploring a piece of land that no man has been before. It's always like an adventure. Somehow I always learn something new. :)

Talking about backups for a gig.  I bring 2 PODHDs, 2 amps, 2 cabs, 3 guitars.  I do run in stereo since I have both amps/cabs there but I have plenty of stuff in case something fails.  More than once I plugged something in at a gig and there was bad ground and fried something.  So far haven't had a problem with firmware but I'm sure that's just a matter of time.

• Upvote 1

Talking about backups for a gig.  I bring 2 PODHDs, 2 amps, 2 cabs, 3 guitars.  I do run in stereo since I have both amps/cabs there but I have plenty of stuff in case something fails.  More than once I plugged something in at a gig and there was bad ground and fried something.  So far haven't had a problem with firmware but I'm sure that's just a matter of time.

I'll help you along with firmware problems and attempt to jinx you:

If you haven't done the firmware update yet, when you do update it, just watch for the inevitable power failure during the update. Because if a power failure will happen, that's the time for it.