Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Follow the Bouncing Monkey!

leesteel

Just a heads up. This has been covered elsewhere but it reared it's ugly head last night so here goes.

I'm on a MAC PRO. I have waited a long time to upgrade to Yosemite mostly because my DAW of choice wasn't supporting it but now that they released an update and L6 also released their updates, I figured what the hell, let's do this.

So I had already updated the DAW software and had already flashed my pod and installed a model pack and then I pulled the trigger on Yosemite. When it all came back to life, launching Gear Monkey resulted in a bouncing monkey head in my task bar that eventually stopped bouncing and did nothing.

I started searching the forum here…..

One says to completely uninstall and reinstall Monkey

One says to completely uninstall and reinstall an older version of Monkey

One says upgrade java

…. see where this is going?

Finally I came across the REAL answer, so, hopefully this will save some of you from going through the hour if digging that I experienced last night.

Located in my "My Computer\Library\Audio\Plug-Ins\HAL" folder was on old Digidesign CoreAudio.plugin that was for hardware that i haven't had in years. All I had to do was delete that file and restart my machine and everything was back to normal.

If you experience the same issue, I suggest you look in that spot first.

• Upvote 1

I would start off by taking anything out of HAL that is not necessary. There are a couple of other folders in there like iSightAudio.driver and InstantOn.driver. You should be able to leave those alone and just look for drivers with a .plugin extension.

In MY Hal folder, digidisign was the only thing floating without a folder. 

• 2 weeks later...

AWESOME! Glad I could help.

I didn't need this info to fix anything 'cause nothing's broke here at the moment. But 'cause it looks like you nailed an important issue people are having I just had to poke in here, vote you one up and say "You're the Man!".

• Like 1

HAL stands for hardware abstraction layer, it's a driver folder where the drivers directly address the hardware.

someone figured it out from one of the online support teams (happened to alot of products when yosemite came out)

• 4 months later...

I just had an issue with this, and did end up removing a .plugin item from the HAL folder.  It is an item for a sound utility that I use, which now renders that utility unusable.  So I had to break another program in order to get the Line 6 program to work, when it's worked fine on all other OS's for years.  When I asked tech support if a fix was being worked on from the Line 6 end, the answer I got was (and I quote):

"The remedy to this issue is the procedure you already did. It doesn't impact a large percentage of Yosemite users but it does enough that we resolved the issue."

So, no permanent fix planned.  Not our problem.  Well, that's not great, is it?

the good news is that all monkey does is check for latest versions of software.... you can do that yourself from the download links....

on the rare occasion that monkey needs to do a firmware update, swap the files back...

none of the newer products coming out will use monkey...

mostly replaced by the line6 updater.

before you get too upset with my response.... i do not work for line6... i'm merely sharing what i do know with you....

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...