Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DSP limit reached........

Broncos

Ok, I am getting a little tired of this error.

I have an awesome sounding channel with one open spot to add one last effect.

low and be hold i get the error, so i say bye bye to my pre-amp EQ, which is really

a large part  of that tone.

Well it wont even let me change the preamp to a pitch/bass octaver...WTHeck is wrong with

this pedal!!

I try dropping the delay too and it still gives me the error??

I seem to held back by this pedal now and it seems i can only replace it now

to a different brand, since there is no patch to fix this PITA error.

UNLESS..... someone has an answer to why Line6 cant fix this annoyance.

yours truly,

VERY Frustrated.

Rick

Look for the effect dsp load chart.  I don't remember where it is, but it can be Googled if you need it.  From what I remember, the highest load blocks are reverb, pitch, and dual amps.  Lowest load are eqs and comps.  Delays don't seem too bad.  I have a few patches with one full amp, five or six delays, one reverb, and one compressor. The last block is my fx loop.  No DSP limit.  

Out of curiosity, what fx and amps are you using on that patch?

in this order

hard gate / line 6 distortion / vetta wah (open slot) < Dual amp plexi's > preamp eq / hall reverb / analog flanger / digital delayy

I use this for recording , via usb to my P.C.

here you go add it to your 500 x and try to add a last effect.

pain in the a$$

Load chart is not gonna help me any, it not gonna fix my problem

it will verify the inadequacies that I am experiencing with the great 500x and that's it.

If I cant make the tone I need, I am at a loss. especially if I have to sell this thing and

get something else

Main Rythem Rec (3).zip

if you really need to add another effect you will need more hardware.  It's a computer.  Once it reaches its limit its done.  No point complaining.  Add something to it like an M5 or a Zoom MS70CDR to offload some post amp DSP.  Otherwise if this one thing is a deal killer, sell it and move on...  good luck.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

HD isn't designed that way...Unlike some other modelers, the resolution of the models is NOT reduced as they are added...You can add till you run out of DSP without dumbing down quality of the models...So there are limits....

If the limits are not acceptable, you certainly will be compelled to do something about it....More than several ways to get where you want to go in terms of DSP limits and I am sure you probably know what your options are....For my own DSP limit issue, it was the UAD-1 card....I had one...I could only use 8 pultecs...I needed more, so I bought three more cards...Then i had what I needed for what I wanted to do...

if you really need to add another effect you will need more hardware.  It's a computer.  Once it reaches its limit its done.  No point complaining.  Add something to it like an M5 or a Zoom MS70CDR to offload some post amp DSP.  Otherwise if this one thing is a deal killer, sell it and move on...  good luck.

This is not one thing man. It not a deal killer, i already own it ....LOL

So I need to buy a tinier effects pedal, so I can turn off effects in my current Large effects pedal, to be able to

maximize my current multi-effects pedal.  is this an april fool joke, or just a bad line6 marketing technique?....LOL

this is the 5th time in a month I sacrifice dropping a part of a distinguished tone because my

effects pedal runs out of memory and now I have lost the exact sound i had and need.

I just dont understand why they factored in a 'limit'?

I have never heard of any other pedal have a DSP limit of any kind

Real Zap, what are these cards you speak of.... like a changeable memory camera card

inside the pedal?? that sounds like something line6 should offer to put this behind them.

Regards

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

that was space that was talking about the cards.. they are for recording.

they could have limited the device to the point where you'd never see the message...

but you'd probably hate it because then you'd have one amp etc... one input... one of each type of effect... or whatever other limitations they would have had to artificially put in place to keep you from seeing the limit.

they could have doubled the price and added faster processors etc... but then nobody would buy them... so that doesnt work either....

the majority of your problem is the dual amps... 

you have to pick and choose your battles...

if your tone is that distinguished... stop adding sh*t to the chain.

also dont use things that are just there to turn on from time to time... an off effects counts as DSP....

better to remove it... and save an identical tone next to it with the effect on and whatever else removed...to make it work.

So I need to buy a tinier effects pedal, so I can turn off effects in my current Large effects pedal, to be able to maximize my current multi-effects pedal.  

Uh yeah... If you bought a sweet 14 pax van with all the options and then wanted to move 15  people, you would need a second car.  What is so hard to understand?

I have never heard of any other pedal have a DSP limit of any kind

really?  did you even look?  All the other big names have DSP issues.  Line 6 gives you room to be creative so you are able to do a dual amp tone.  However, yes, that takes up a ton of available DSP.  They let you decide how to best use all the available DSP, its your choice.  Like I said, if you don't want to reduce the DSP usage in your patch, your only other option is to add more hardware.

But I get it, you just want to beyatch about it to everyone...

UAD....The best plugs I have ever used...and no need to worry about my DAW CPU...

http://www.uaudio.com/uad-plug-ins/uad-2-pcie.html

Part of my point in posting that was to show that DSP limits are almost always an issue in different facets of audio....My other motivation was to encourage you to consider using post processing for your FX...If you really need more DSP, get 2, 3, 8 or however many HD Pros it takes....Or consider re-amping....You can make a wal off crunch with one....It just takes a little longer to re-amp...

Take the reverb out of your chain and use the software via a plug in on your DAW. It's a much better way of recording because you can always adjust the level of reverb when you're mixing instead of committing to it when tracking. This should free up some DSP.

• Upvote 1

I think for me being new to the guitars and effects, although I understand hardware and computers (which what an HD500\X is, or all effects, a mini computer) anyway im just saying as I am a little surprised.

I would of thought when the POD HD range were designed they would of only loaded it with patches that could be used in any combo, so that the DSP could handle the work load and not hit its limit with the software supplied, either that or used a more powerful DSP from the start.

im not moaning, I am happy with what the hd500 can do and understand its limits due to its limited hardware.

although I can understand those who are not happy about it, if they do not understand the hardware limits of the DSP used by the HD500 or 500X

I think some people have to keep in mind the POD HD500\X is not the be all and end all solution for effects you may have to combine it with other hardware to get the result you desire. 

thing to take into account, these units HD500\500x only have one DSP which has to process AMP models and multi amounts of effects all at once.

if you say have a unit that has at least 2 DSP's one dedicated to AMP models and the second DSP dedicated to Effects processing you would be a lot less likely to run into the issue, although the DSP limits could be hit depending on how complex the software is used  

?....

I would of thought when the POD HD range were designed they would of only loaded it with patches that could be used in any combo, so that the DSP could handle the work load and not hit its limit with the software supplied,

There are units in the POD HD range that appear to have no DSP limit. You will never see that message in the Pod HD300/400 because of the single amp and limited FX selection. EVERY multi processor device has its DSP limitations. Most manufacturers design the device with constraints like the above so that this limitation is never observed by the user. This means that there is almost always some unused but available DSP capacity in any preset. Line 6 is unique in giving control of DSP management to to the user. You can use all available DSP capacity up to the limit.

Of course, more expensive devices will have higher limits. Anyone should purchase one if the HD500 has insufficient DSP capacity for their needs.

• Upvote 3

yea I did think that, at least the line 6 allows the limit to be hit.

its kind of good and bad... good for those who understand why it happens and will work to find best way for them around it (could be just add another pedal or some other device) although not so good for those no so computer tech,  who think they have purchased the ultimate, with take me out of this galaxy kind of power heeh, well you know what I mean.

it would be grate to see an line 6 dual DSP version, it would cost a bit more for line 6 to build, but not as much as you might think, they could make a very nice priced unit if they based it on 2 x (New) Gen 4 SHARC ADSP 21469's based DSP's

would make for a very very nice affordable unit.

example :hd500x DSP can hit upto 800 Mac's (max) 400MIPS (millions of instructions per second max)

if they build a unit with just 1 gen 4 chip it can do 1600 Mac's (max) 800MIPS (millions of instructions per second max) x that by two and you can soon see how much more you could do with a unit based on that gen DSP, best bit is the gen 4 chip cost the same as the current chip the hd500x uses.

now that would be something to look forward to from a Line 6 price point.

You can use all available DSP capacity up to the limit.

While this is a true statement, I can think of one situation where it is not true. It is not possible to use the DSP capacity to its limit when you still have DSP left but have used up all the FX blocks.

I really appreciate Line 6 giving users this flexible ability, but it would be even better if they could extend this on their next product by having a dynamic number of FX blocks, much like DSP usage is dynamic.

• Upvote 1

Is it 2010 again? :ph34r:

It seems like we have had this discussion at least once a year even since the HD was first released. Bottom line is it's a feature, not an error. Yes, it means you can't do everything you want to do necessarily. But if Line 6 made it so the message never appeared, it would mean more limitations, not fewer.

• Upvote 1

I went from pod XTlive to the HD500x,

Why did I not have this problem on the old antique pedal?

anyways, I copied the patch to a different channel disabled one of amps, disabled the pre-amp

disabled the reverb and it still wont let me add the pitch shifter.....?....? i dont get it???

I saved after i turned of the other 3 items, just incase that was the issue.

A friend of mine's son has both the Gt-8 and Gt10, has never heard of this.

So anyone, please go up to post #3 and down load the tone and see if you can disable

what i said then, try to add the pitch and see if it works for you.

maybe my pedal has a defect....i dont know

Disabling an Effect does not free the DSP...You must set the block to none...Basically, the DSP is reserved when the block is off so that you might turn it off and on...In essence, consider it always on...XTLive is 10 times less resolution...Does not need nearly as much DSP and the blocks were fixed so there was no way to hang yourself...

• Upvote 1

i have 2 creamware cards with 9 dsps combined and can still hit its dsp limit fast when engaging a 64 channel surround mixer, 31 band stereo graphic eq, a couple of reverbs, effects and 16 track asio connection to the daw. not to mention soft synths.

you can never have enough dsp.

get a fast car. pay all you want. there is going to be a speed limit your motor cant exceed, even if you toss out the hood and doors. and somebody will always be faster.

• Upvote 2

For the record, I had a Zoom G3 before I got my HD500 and it also had a DSP limit.I would rather Line 6 didn't artificially limit the unit. The way its done now allows us to get as much out of the unit as we can. 

the cards are a little dated, 15 year old sharks @60mhz . the uad and motu are pcie and probably have a better future outlook.

with the pci bus fading out of modern mainboards, the are cheap on ebay lately. if they go down much further, i might just get me an older mainboard and try and hit their dsp limit of 45 sharks, with all the extensions. but 9 dsp go a long way already.

never a glitch, running for 10 years straight 24/7 in the various incarnations of my pc. 2ms latency no cpu load.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun03/articles/creamwarescope.asp

I went from pod XTlive to the HD500x,

Why did I not have this problem on the old antique pedal?

[...]

A friend of mine's son has both the Gt-8 and Gt10, has never heard of this.

XT Live has a limit: 1 amp, 1 comp, 1 gate, 1 eq, 1 stomp, 1 mod, 1 delay, 1 reverb, 1 wah, and 1 volume, no more, no less. It's 9 'blocks' (8 fx, 1 amp) but you don't get to stack 2 reverbs or 3 delays or 2 amps or whatever, and the order is almost entirely fixed. (Some blocks can be pre- or post-.)

GT-10 also has a limit: 1 comp, 1 overdrive/distortion, 1 or 2 preamps, 1 eq, 1 delay, 1 chorus, 1 reverb, 1 pedal, 2 noise suppressors, 1 volume, and 2 fx of some sort. That's 14 blocks, ordered however you like, but only 2 are totally flexible.

The trick these units use to make it seem like there are no limits is to ensure that most of the effects you have enabled are 'cheap' ones, like volume, EQ, and compression.

The HD500x lets you use pretty much whatever you like in any order. This means you can have 3 reverbs if you like, or 3 delays. You simply can't achieve that with the XTL or the GT-10. There is the 'limit'.

However, I have a lot of sympathy for you. You're just asking for gate/distortion/wah/amps/eq/reverb/flanger/delay, which isn't much. Take out 1 amp, and you could have that on the XTL (but maybe not in that exact signal order). You can certainly have it on the GT-10, with a volume pedal, send/return loop, chorus, (pre)amp switching, and 1 extra effect thrown in for free. The downside is that neither of those will sound quite as good as the HD500x - but a perfect tone you can't actually dial in is worse than a decent tone that you can, right?

My personal opinion is that 8 FX blocks is far too few - especially when they're eaten up by noise gates, volume, send/return loops, and hacks to get around the lack of channel switching - which is why I've not bought an HD500x yet. I was hoping they'd replace it with a more powerful model this year, but apparently not. Line 6 use a lot of DSP power for high quality amp sims, which I appreciate, but as someone who has a decent amp and primarily needs an effects unit, the HD500x is lagging behind the Boss units of 5 years ago, which is sad.

This is really good advice if you need to load up on some extra fx. The MS70 can cycle through its own presets and is really compact for squeezing in on a board.

-B

This is really good advice if you need to load up on some extra fx. The MS70 can cycle through its own presets and is really compact for squeezing in on a board.

-B

Thanks for all the insite so far on my issue.

Adding effect sounds like my only real option that works 'best'.

Got two more questions.

1 - how do you add effects pedals using the 4 Cable method and can you asign them to switches

on the 500x?(like you would if you were using the direct cable method in the previous video I posted)

2 - Does any one know if the Pod HD PRO X has more DSP then its partner in crime the HD 500X?

Been Entertaining the idea of rack effects for a while.

Cheers

Rick

1. if you get an effect pedal (like m5 or m9 for example) with midi then you can still control the whole thing with the hd500x (in the loop no need for 4 cable etc)

2. no exactly the same.

Thanks for all the insite so far on my issue.

Adding effect sounds like my only real option that works 'best'.

Got two more questions.

1 - how do you add effects pedals using the 4 Cable method and can you asign them to switches

on the 500x?(like you would if you were using the direct cable method in the previous video I posted)

2 - Does any one know if the Pod HD PRO X has more DSP then its partner in crime the HD 500X?

Been Entertaining the idea of rack effects for a while.

Cheers

Rick

"the cards are a little dated, 15 year old sharks @60mhz . the uad and motu are pcie and probably have a better future outlook."

yea the UAD-2 OCTO PCIe x1 cards use the 450mhz ADSP-21469 chips by analog devices last time I looked, basicly It has 8x Gen 4 SHARC ADSP's on one PC card, although costs around £1400, I think the dual DSP UAD-2 card used to use 2x 400mhz ADSP 21369 Gen 3 chips (same chip as the HD500X albeit only 1) they may have updated them to the Gen 4 chips now though, but I don't know for sure.

I  think the dual dsp card is around £500, downside is your restricted to the PC desk as its not exactly a portable floor pedal and standing on it would probs break it :)

in this order

hard gate / line 6 distortion / vetta wah (open slot) < Dual amp plexi's > preamp eq / hall reverb / analog flanger / digital delayy

You've got all that out of one $500 box and you are complaining because it can't add more? That's a pretty heavy load for a single amp patch even, let alone dual amps. As soon as I add a second amp, I am aware that not many more FX will fit in a patch. That's a heck of alot to process. 

As for other boxes not giving you DSP limit, it's because they do not allow the freedom to add so many FX. They have set parameters for you to work within set up to prevent you from reaching the machine's limit. Pod HD, on the other hand, allows you to use the DSP however you wish -  it's due to this freedom that the message is required.

I'm am just floored at some of the complaints i see with the DSP limit. It has never been a big issue for me, but if it was, i'd understand that my situation was getting extreme and required some additional gear to pull off.

• Upvote 1

If we had a bunch of free time (we don't), it might be interesting to release an alternate "No DSP message" version of POD HD firmware: One wah, one volume, one compressor, one EQ, one stomp, one amp/cab, one mod, one delay, and one reverb, all on a single serial path... with the DSP-intensive effects models removed entirely.

You've got all that out of one $500 box and you are complaining because it can't add more? That's a pretty heavy load for a single amp patch even, let alone dual amps. As soon as I add a second amp, I am aware that not many more FX will fit in a patch. That's a heck of alot to process. 

As for other boxes not giving you DSP limit, it's because they do not allow the freedom to add so many FX. They have set parameters for you to work within set up to prevent you from reaching the machine's limit. Pod HD, on the other hand, allows you to use the DSP however you wish -  it's due to this freedom that the message is required.

I'm am just floored at some of the complaints i see with the DSP limit. It has never been a big issue for me, but if it was, i'd understand that my situation was getting extreme and required some additional gear to pull off.

I appologise for my ignorance. So glad it was pointed out.... ;)

I will try to understand more, in the future, without complaining.

Everyone, thanks for the tips, tricks and sugestions. :cheers:

i will ponder all incite that has been offered, i suppose I can try overdubbing solos

as well.

Since I use my amp's sound live, 75% of the time, I should be able to max out the effects

needed for that set up.(removing amps and fx loop block)

A friend contacted me about the line 6 rack FX's that he uses in tandom with others, like a BBE bass maximiser,

and is going to school me in how he utilizes it for his live and recording sounds. He has an older model, and loves

the line6 rack stuff.

cheers

rick

"If we had a bunch of free time (we don't), it might be interesting to release an alternate "No DSP message" version of POD HD firmware: One wah, one volume, one compressor, one EQ, one stomp, one amp/cab, one mod, one delay, and one reverb, all on a single serial path... with the DSP-intensive effects models removed entirely."

lol ! that would really give them something to moan about :) although I know you wouldn't want to restrict the HD500\x .. would of made a grate April fools announcement

I appologise for my ignorance. So glad it was pointed out.... ;)

I will try to understand more, in the future, without complaining.

Everyone, thanks for the tips, tricks and sugestions. :cheers:

i will ponder all incite that has been offered, i suppose I can try overdubbing solos

as well.

Since I use my amp's sound live, 75% of the time, I should be able to max out the effects

needed for that set up.(removing amps and fx loop block)

A friend contacted me about the line 6 rack FX's that he uses in tandom with others, like a BBE bass maximiser,

and is going to school me in how he utilizes it for his live and recording sounds. He has an older model, and loves

the line6 rack stuff.

cheers

rick

Fair enough rick, i may have gone a little overboard there! I hope you are able to get the tones you want....thats really what we all want, apparently your tones need some serious horsepower!!! Good luck!

If we had a bunch of free time (we don't), it might be interesting to release an alternate "No DSP message" version of POD HD firmware: One wah, one volume, one compressor, one EQ, one stomp, one amp/cab, one mod, one delay, and one reverb, all on a single serial path... with the DSP-intensive effects models removed entirely.

lol!

What is the next generation of HD pedal looking like?

If the DSP was doubled or allows for maxing out the blocks, I would glad pay extra for the upgrade

to a newer better pedal. :) Just make sure that you can load the 500x bundles on the new pedal. ;)

Hands down, I realy like what line6 has to offer. Especially the wireless unit I purchased a few months

ago.

Fair enough rick, i may have gone a little overboard there! I hope you are able to get the tones you want....thats really what we all want, apparently your tones need some serious horsepower!!! Good luck!

I like replies like yours mainly because i can take a beating(and i usually deserve one). ;)

Makes me realize what I am not seeing.

I am a pretty busy dude I know. 11 hr a day tooling Engineer(including drive), two kids, two bands and

a recording project. So I have to be ultra efficient at all my hobbies, as i usually can only enjoy and work

on them when the kids go to bed...... <_<

I like replies like yours mainly because i can take a beating(and i usually deserve one). ;)

Makes me realize what I am not seeing.

I am a pretty busy dude I know. 11 hr a day tooling Engineer(including drive), two kids, two bands and

a recording project. So I have to be ultra efficient at all my hobbies, as i usually can only enjoy and work

on them when the kids go to bed...... <_<

:D  I have taken my fair share as well on various forums, learned plenty that way. If i may add something possibly constructive, i might ditch the dual amps and double track or re-amp in a recording scenario to save DSP, if this has not already been suggested (probably has)

:D  I have taken my fair share as well on various forums, learned plenty that way. If i may add something possibly constructive, i might ditch the dual amps and double track or re-amp in a recording scenario to save DSP, if this has not already been suggested (probably has)

i am gonna mess with that for sure, I am gonna try dropping the wah and see if thats all it needs.

I dont need it for this particular song.

I was doing it wrong and only diabling them. :bonk:

i had not realized there really is a limit of 8 effects slots.

moving an effect to the path B removes it from its original slot. when setting 2x4 effects in parallel, the looper ends up in the center of the display with a long empty line coming out.

so the notion they allow anything until hitting the dsp limit is not quite true.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a new HD500X into a DT50 combo user to alleviate problems I was having with the size of my regular and beloved rig. I needed something compact with tubes, that I could get in and out easy with so I am trying it. Not new to Line 6 as I have a Vetta II head from years ago in my practice room and have another Spider Valve where we practice as a band BUT...I have a patch set up with dual amps, and all the FX slots used. When I try to change the mix level on the 80 Flanger, no matter what I do, it reverts back to less than 5%. Checked controller parameters to see if it was being controlled by the EXP 1 or 2 and it is not. Could this be a DSP limit problem or would it tell me that. Also any tips you guys have concerning saving FX to use in different patches or anything like that, please share. I don't see a way to do it. Any helpful tips would be much appreciated. I tried this set up last Saturday night and while it definitely is not my main rig with which I am so comfortable with, the set up, tear down and compactness blows my mind and it seems like it could work if I give it a chance (says the guy with NO patience)! The other problem I had was I set it up via MacBook, live I needed the MacBook to run monitor mixes and record our digital board so it was not nearby. Was scared to try to make any manual adjustments for fear of really screwing something up. Like I said, any tips, suggestions, good FX and/or sound advice would help so much.