Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DSP limit reached........

Broncos

I have a patch set up with dual amps, and all the FX slots used. When I try to change the mix level on the 80 Flanger, no matter what I do, it reverts back to less than 5%. Checked controller parameters to see if it was being controlled by the EXP 1 or 2 and it is not. Could this be a DSP limit problem or would it tell me that.

- I doubt it is DSP related, I have never encountered any DSP issues like that.  It may be the patch got corrupted along the way.  Suggest creating a duplicate from scratch with all the same gear and parameters and saving it as you build it.

Also any tips you guys have concerning saving FX to use in different patches or anything like that, please share. I don't see a way to do it.

- Nope, no way to save a favorite FX parameter to use later in another patch...

Any helpful tips would be much appreciated. I tried this set up last Saturday night and while it definitely is not my main rig with which I am so comfortable with, the set up, tear down and compactness blows my mind and it seems like it could work if I give it a chance (says the guy with NO patience)! The other problem I had was I set it up via MacBook, live I needed the MacBook to run monitor mixes and record our digital board so it was not nearby. Was scared to try to make any manual adjustments for fear of really screwing something up.

- Best thing to do is on an off night, just take a few hours with the manual and build some patches from scratch on the unit, no computer.  It's not that hard to do.  For live work, you should maybe have a duplicate setlist you could jump to if by any chance you trashed a patch.

Like I said, any tips, suggestions, good FX and/or sound advice would help so much.

- You are on the way.  Welcome to the club, stay up to date with the boards here. There are a lot of very helpful, knowledgeable people on here with a ton of experience live and in the studio.  If you have a question or issue, just ask.

Let me see if I got this straight....

In this "Awesome sounding" patch that you have created, you have:

2 full model Marshall Plexi amps where you have control over: 

*Drive

*Bass

*Mids

*Treble

*Presence

*The overall channel volume

*Early Reflection

*Master Volume

*Sag

*Hum

*Bias

*Bias X

You have 8 different Mic Options

You have 18 different speaker options where you have control over:

*Low Cut 

*Resonance

*Thump 

*Decay

I won't waste screen space outlining the amount of control you have over the:

*Hard Gate

*Line 6 Distortion

*Vetta Wah

*Preamp EQ

*Hall Reverb

*Analog Flanger

AND a Digital Delayy that is in your patch my man!

And you are frustrated after ALLLLL of this that you can't squeeze 1 more effect into the chain? Really?

Something tells me that even if Line 6 moved heaven and earth and made it possible for you to get that one more effect into this "AWESOME SOUNDING" patch you have created and are convinced that you must have.....you're gonna need 1 more slot, 1 more effect, 1 more controllable perameter, 1 more cab option, 1 more amp, 1 more..., 1 more..., 1 more....., THEN and only THEN will the Pod be worthy! The heavens will open and naked groupies will fall from the sky......ok, i have to admit, I like the naked groupie idea!....

Go over the manual one more time and really get with the amount of control and features your Pod offers you 'cause you really get a whole lot with the DSP that is available.

• Upvote 3

UAD....The best plugs I have ever used...and no need to worry about CPU...

http://www.uaudio.com/uad-plug-ins/uad-2-pcie.html

Part of my point in posting that was to show that DSP limits are almost always an issue in different facets of audio....My other motivation was to encourage you to consider using post processing for your FX...If you really need more DSP, get 2, 3, 8 or however many HD Pros it takes....Or consider re-amping....You can make a wal off crunch with one....It just takes a little longer to re-amp...

False. UAD plugins run out of DSP very easily depending on how many you are using at any given time. That's why UA gives you a DSP monitor window.

I have a patch set up with dual amps, and all the FX slots used. When I try to change the mix level on the 80 Flanger, no matter what I do, it reverts back to less than 5%. Checked controller parameters to see if it was being controlled by the EXP 1 or 2 and it is not. Could this be a DSP limit problem or would it tell me that.

- I doubt it is DSP related, I have never encountered any DSP issues like that.  It may be the patch got corrupted along the way.  Suggest creating a duplicate from scratch with all the same gear and parameters and saving it as you build it.

I think saving as you build a patch helps eliminate patch corruption. The more complicated the patch it becomes more of an issue if you don't save along the way. Maybe 'cause the amount of RAM (or whatever process is used to saved) the Pods have is kinda small. Don't take my word on that though just my experience. Save along the way while building complicated patches maybe it'll prevent corruption.

the cards are a little dated, 15 year old sharks @60mhz . the uad and motu are pcie and probably have a better future outlook.

with the pci bus fading out of modern mainboards, the are cheap on ebay lately. if they go down much further, i might just get me an older mainboard and try and hit their dsp limit of 45 sharks, with all the extensions. but 9 dsp go a long way already.

never a glitch, running for 10 years straight 24/7 in the various incarnations of my pc. 2ms latency no cpu load.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun03/articles/creamwarescope.asp

Of course there are newer options, like the rackmount XITE-1 which has six of the older (60Mhz) Sharcs for backwards compatibilty and twelve newer 333Mhz Sharcs. Even with all that horsepower I can run out of DSP. Completely flexible: you can load mixers synths effects and connect with virtual cables in any combination you can thing of. Just keep loading and loading and eventually it will run out: what else is it going to do? There's even some Softube amp sims in there. I like the bass ones but tend to use the Pod HD for its variety. Having migrated from a 15-year-old PCI card system I can say that since 2000 I have had no more than 3ms latency. Funny how UAD are now touting this as a massive feature in their newer boxes, I've had almost latency-free processing for 15 years!

Can't really comment too much on the OPs 'problem' - i have to say there's probably no universe where I would use what he's using. At the moment my current group go from guitar to amp, the only pedal allowed is a tuner!

False. UAD plugins run out of DSP very easily depending on how many you are using at any given time. That's why UA gives you a DSP monitor window.

Sorry, you misunderstood my statement...."No Need to Worry About CPU" refers to the CPU in my DAW...UAD cards have DSP chips....Sorry my distinction was not more clear...I edited my post...thanks...

Sorry, you misunderstood my statement...."No Need to Worry About CPU" refers to the CPU in my DAW...UAD cards have DSP chips....Sorry my distinction was not more clear...I edited my post...thanks...

Got it!

POD HD500 gives you a very nicely implemented effect loop for external effects.Patch in a rack full of stuff and do what you want.The DSP limit does not bother me because I don't record my HD .I would probably get an Axe-Fx if I seriously recorded using modeling.I am so happy with all the things the HD500 does well for performing I don't dwell upon its shortcomings much.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys. Does anyone know if there is a list of how much DSP specific amps/fx use out of the max DSP allocation?

For example. I've got a single amp patch I'm happy with but adding a 2nd amp puts it over the DSP limit. I want to work out which blocks I can sacrifice to free up what I need to run 2 amps.

Is there a list of this stuff to save switching fx blocks in and out and doing it blind?

If we had a bunch of free time (we don't), it might be interesting to release an alternate "No DSP message" version of POD HD firmware: One wah, one volume, one compressor, one EQ, one stomp, one amp/cab, one mod, one delay, and one reverb, all on a single serial path... with the DSP-intensive effects models removed entirely.

I'd be all over that like a fat kid loves cake ! Its pretty hard to go wrong with that signal path sequence, its generally the best

all-rounder config, given you'd be ok with ditching the dynamic allocation method of how the firmware currently operates.

I'd be all over that like a fat kid loves cake ! Its pretty hard to go wrong with that signal path sequence, its generally the best

all-rounder config, given you'd be ok with ditching the dynamic allocation method of how the firmware currently operates.

Actually, the Pod HD300/400 do almost exactly that. The only difference from Digital Igloo's earlier description is that only one of Stomp/Comp/EQ can be selected. You can't have one of each.

I would like to see an additional fx slot added to the 500X. I have never run out of DSP yet but have been experimenting with dual amp scenarios. Now that I am running an external reverb unit in the loop, I doubt I will ever run out of DSP but I do have a few patches that would benefit from just 1 additional slot.

Actually, the Pod HD300/400 do almost exactly that. The only difference from Digital Igloo's earlier description is that only one of Stomp/Comp/EQ can be selected. You can't have one of each.

Yes, but does the HD300/400 also share the same DSP processor as the HD500/HD Pro ? that would also be a large factor in over-all DSP performance.

True - the HD500/Pro series have more powerful DSP processors so there would likely be sufficient capacity for one of each of Stomp, Comp, and EQ as well as the other selections if Line 6 chose to go that route.

But it seems a little weird to me for Line 6 to consider going to extra effort to intentionally constrain the device just to avoid the current DSP message. After all, with the current firmware and device any user can assign all 8 of the FX mentioned above, as well as the amp/cab combo, while avoiding the DSP-intensive FX and never see the message. Essentially every Hd500/Pro owner already has that constrained device; we just have to make the appropriate FX selections.

Certainly an interesting idea, especially for those that like to keep a static signal chain with all slots occupied and ready

to trigger on/off when needed, rather than changing entire presets as a work around to add/remove FX on the fly.

Although, i still think memory presets will be required for drastic signal chain alterations, depending on the set your playing.

True. Any user could create an 'empty' preset with all 8 FX slots and amp/cab in a preferred order, with the chosen FX turned OFF and the amp defaulted to No Amp. Then just copy the preset, fill it in with the specific FX selection in each block, turn them on as desired, and select your amp/cab. If you ever hit the message just select a less DSP-intensive model in one or more blocks.

Something like:

Vol -> Wah -> Stomp -> Comp -> Amp -> EQ -> Mod -> Del -> Reverb

Goodbye DSP Nanny, no effort required by Line 6 and no need for any of us to wait for Line 6 to develop something we already have.

I don't personally find myself straying too far away from that general FX sequence anyways when I'm building signal chains, so I wouldn't

miss the nanny much tbh. Can be frustrating sometimes when you know the DSP processor is capable of a little more, if the firmware allowed

it to. But it is what it is, and I've learnt to work around it, so no complaints really. But wouldn't it be nice if that alternative was available. It

would bring back that easy and seamless pedal-board experience we all once had with analogue pedals, with the least amount of confusion. 

This is not one thing man. It not a deal killer, i already own it ....LOL

So I need to buy a tinier effects pedal, so I can turn off effects in my current Large effects pedal, to be able to

maximize my current multi-effects pedal.  is this an april fool joke, or just a bad line6 marketing technique?....LOL

this is the 5th time in a month I sacrifice dropping a part of a distinguished tone because my

effects pedal runs out of memory and now I have lost the exact sound i had and need.

I just dont understand why they factored in a 'limit'?

I have never heard of any other pedal have a DSP limit of any kind

Real Zap, what are these cards you speak of.... like a changeable memory camera card

inside the pedal?? that sounds like something line6 should offer to put this behind them.

Regards

To be honest,you have obviously followed a path according to musical instinct ,using  practical blocks in a manner most of us would recognize.The unit has limitations.I upgraded to the HD 500X ,and still find this to be true.I rely on outboard gear (simple) to free memory .My advice is to do the same.The machine is great,but the  company claims overreached.I note your gear is similar to mine,and assume that you are going down a familiar path.Please ignore so called experts who reply with confusing and convoluted replies.I have spent quite a bit of money on LINE 6 equipment,and despise the interference from trolls who have no real answers.PS-My rating  on the forums is low,but if I receive negative reaction ,I simply open my ongoing Consumer Complaints ticket-we paid for use of this forum when equipment was purchased.Hint;Check the new Global EQ and see if it will assist-you can possibly eliminate a block>I leave my JCM at home now,and go through the "back end" of two Spider Valves.I too need to dual paths to achieve what I aim for-Global EQ was helpful.Best regards!

• Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Try this document which I downloaded from the forums years ago .... it may be a little out of date .... but hopefully it will give you some idea.

Someone may have a more up to date version somewhere...

Thanks edstar!

Currently I'm playing with using the EXP pedal for gain stages on the amp to free up DPS and FX blocks - with a volume pedal pre the board.

Seems to be giving me a bit more DSP headroom to play with.

• 2 months later...

i like the ms in front of the pod but had been getting frustrated with the noise floor and one annoying frequency around 1khz, when usb powered, even from a usb power only jack and from various pc/laptop  usbs.

since batteries are no option for me,  i was about ready to toss it.

even with a noise gate with thresh on >80, l could still hear it in the signal.

then i went through my box of old adapters and found a usb phone charger.

ms is dead quiet. all noise gates removed from my patches

glad i hadnt asked for a global noise gate

If we had a bunch of free time (we don't), it might be interesting to release an alternate "No DSP message" version of POD HD firmware: One wah, one volume, one compressor, one EQ, one stomp, one amp/cab, one mod, one delay, and one reverb, all on a single serial path... with the DSP-intensive effects models removed entirely.

I hope this is a joke? :P

Actually, following the same idea as Helix not allowing stuff to be loaded (grayed out as an option in the menu) once the limit is exceeded is a much better approach...versus trying to guess if an effect will put you over the top based on your current signal chain.

I hope this is a joke? :P

Actually, following the same idea as Helix not allowing stuff to be loaded (grayed out as an option in the menu) once the limit is exceeded is a much better approach...versus trying to guess if an effect will put you over the top based on your current signal chain.

Yeah, it was sort of a joke. The post you quoted predate's Helix's announcement, by the way.  :D

• 1 year later...

I know how to exceed DSP limit ...... i can now add extra Delay or a Reverb (or whatever thou wiltz ) on my POD HD 500 ....i think yall can do it on POD HD 500 , POD HD 500 X  maybe even the HD pro etc ............. Basically i wanted to add a delay to the end of my chain (it said dsp limit reached as usual) ........I did something which i now always do to exceed DSP limit ........and then i go back to my chain and add delay reverb whatever thou wiltz AND IT %#&^%$%# WORKS .......  the issue is that these DSP Exceeded Presets ( DSPXXX's )  cant be saved ........ I know how to save that ill show that too in a youtube video in a week :D

• 11 months later...
On 4/3/2015 at 11:37 PM, spaceatl said:

HD isn't designed that way...Unlike some other modelers, the resolution of the models is NOT reduced as they are added...You can add till you run out of DSP without dumbing down quality of the models...So there are limits....

If the limits are not acceptable, you certainly will be compelled to do something about it....More than several ways to get where you want to go in terms of DSP limits and I am sure you probably know what your options are....For my own DSP limit issue, it was the UAD-1 card....I had one...I could only use 8 pultecs...I needed more, so I bought three more cards...Then i had what I needed for what I wanted to do...

That seems you know eletronics....would you explain that to me?

Can I add some "memory cards" in my POD HD500 to increase memory size?